Road conditions on Tanami Track

Submitted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1231 Views:2389 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Planning on going up the Tanami track about the 10th of June. I have heard mixed reports on the condition of the track i plan to tow a camper trailer with a Tdi Discovery. Any comments or advice welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pen - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
Mark, Shouldn't have any problems unless it rains. As with any well used road though, can be very corrugated in places with deep bulldust holes. Watch out for roadtrains servicing the mines from Alice. Fuel available at Tilmouth Well, Yuendumu Mining Co (Yuendumu Community), Rabbit Flat (check when they are open), Billiluna Community. Expect to spend two nights out. Cheers, pen.
AnswerID: 3918

Follow Up By: Gordon - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Pen, Mark
have you travelled the full length of the Tanami Track recently or is our advice purely generic and based on a trip done months ago. I also plan to travel across the Tanami (11-12 June) and have been listening to VKS737 and reading the road reports on ExplorOZ. What I've gleaned so far is that there's a section between the Tanami Mine and Halls Creek that was deeply rutted by heavy rain during the monsoon period. I have heard that a number of vehicles have rolled over recently on that rutted section. Hence, according to ExplorOz and VKS737 that particular section is recommended only for high clearance 4WD with extreme care. I don't know if that rutted section is still wet or not - if so then then there is another degree of difficulty. Mark is being very prudent to enquire about the current road condition because if it is deeply rutted then towing a trailer could be asking for trouble. I don't know for sure but presume that when they say "high clearance" they mean that a stock standard Landcruiser or Patrol would be OK? Gordon.
FollowupID: 1668

Follow Up By: Pen - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

I haven't been past the Granites since June 2001. If you give Bruce a ring at the Rabbit Flat Roadhouse, (08)89568744, he would be able to give you up to date info on the topend. Frank at the Yuendumu Mining Co, (08)89564040, is another good source for info, especially down the bottom end. cheers, pen.
FollowupID: 1669

Sponsored Links