magellan gps 310

Submitted: Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:22
ThreadID: 12314 Views:4227 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone there had problems initialising a magellan 310? I follow the procedure for initialising as per the manual and cannot get a position fix. Unit seems to track satelites OK but keeps changing local time. Any 310 users got any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KG (QLD) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:33

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:33
I have a 310 and it seemed to work fine when i followed the destructions in the manual...
i'll dig up the manual tonight and run thru it again (havent used the 310 for months)

cheers,

KG
AnswerID: 55663

Reply By: Member - Bear - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 18:46

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 18:46
John

I seemed to have to same prob so I rang Magellan who were realy helpful.

If the unit has been off for a while it needs to get new settings from the first sat it tracks. Can't be sure but I think that they told me this could take a number of hours. He advised that its best to let it stand in the backyard or similar on its own for the night and let it get its info from the sats.

Just ring them they loved to help.
AnswerID: 55675

Reply By: Member - Jeffrey - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 19:14

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 19:14
Hi John K,
I have a 320 all you should have to to do is iniatilise the the unit,enter the correct paremeters and I think it includes the time,take it outside for about15-20 mins and away you go ,it needs a minimum of 3 sats to calculate your position but the more the better.Ican't think of the proper term for it so lets call it regulating, thats when your screen go from sat strenght averaging actually I think that is the term used it should give you a position fix,as for the local time this day and age of terrorist maybe those who have control have tweaked things,and I can't blame them mine is acurate to within a metre.be patient it takes time to learn how to fly these handy little tools.
Hope this helps
All The Best In Health And Wealth
Jeffrey (AKA JD)
AnswerID: 55677

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 19:34

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 19:34
John,

You dont enter a time with a GPS all you do is tell it the tine zone you are in e.g.Sydney GMT+10 hrs. The GPs gets its actual time from the satellites which are all super accurate cause timing is how it works out where you are, heaps of volunteers in each satellite with stop watches checking how long it takes to "bounce" a signal to you and back then they tell the mathematicians there how long and they quickly work out the distances. concur with their colleages who have been doing the same thing in other staellites and when they're good and ready they tell you where you are, all in good time. At least thats what the fairies told me.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 55679

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:50

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:50
John

you need to let it run for a few hours in view of the satellites as it has to update its almanac
AnswerID: 55725

Reply By: John K - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:50

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:50
Thank you to everyone who posted a reply. I now have the solution, which is not in the user manual. FYI to initialise a 310 that has been inactive for more than 3 months and has a 'racey' clock:

hold the right arrow down and press the power key, when the GPS310 message comes up release only the power key

a message comes up: do you want to erase memory? Highlight yes and press enter key

screen goes blank as unit turns itself off

press power key again and leave in view of the sky for up to 30 min so that it update the satellite almanac and get a postion fix.

actually took about 10 min and it worked fine.

thanks once again to all who replied
AnswerID: 56195

Reply By: Niko - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:25

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:25
Be aware that the 310 is not suitable for differential even though it says it does. Time to lock on to satellites is extremely slow and tends to lose lock often.
AnswerID: 56664

Sponsored Links