Nissan Navara Leaning

Submitted: Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 19:42
ThreadID: 12320 Views:6194 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a March 03 Nissan Navara which leans 12mm to the drivers side. Didn't do it when I bought it new last year.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The best the dealer could report was that they all do it. However, not every one that I have seen actually does.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 22:11

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 22:11
Lose some weight ,lol ;) on a serious note check or have a suspension guru check the tension of the front torsion bars and adjust to suit,
AnswerID: 55699

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:20

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:20
Ask the dealer to put it in writing that all new Navaras lean 12mm.... I think you'll find him looking a bit harder to fix it ;-)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 55708

Reply By: Bilbo - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:40

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:40
Put a bigger tyre on the driver's side :)

Always one for "quick fix bush solution".

Bilbo
AnswerID: 55711

Reply By: mik*2 - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 00:11

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 00:11
Well Russell, I have a 2003 Navara and can tell you that mine doesn't do it. If a dealer told you this, you need to go back to him and read him the riot act....It's still under warranty so get Nissan to fix it...

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 55714

Follow Up By: RussellP - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:23

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:23
Thanks Mike.

Strangelly, I've not actually been able to discuss the issue with a Nissan "technician". I've had the "they all do it" told to me by the young girl at the front counter. Real happy to collect your money, but knows bugger all about the car.

I've asked for a "technicion" to ring me to discuss, but they must have lost my number :-(.

I'll continue to collect info in the meantime.

Russell
FollowupID: 317635

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 00:58

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 00:58
This was posted previously, not sure what model it was, but I think it had something to do with the shock mounts being bent or broken, was that a Navara??

try the archives.

They all do it, talk about a bleep poor answer, inother words TOO HARD BASKET
AnswerID: 55717

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 10:38

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 10:38
Doubt if it would have anything to do with shock mounts as they dont hold the truck up.
Torsion bars are very easy to wind up. Just place the truck on level slab & measure lh side between edge of guard & concrete then see how much you have to wind up the rh side.
Climb under the cab with a couple of the right spanners to the rear end of the bar and undo the lock nut on the adjusting lever then wind up the main nut till U have the same measurement on the drivers side, shake the truck to be sure its settled, then tighten the lock nut.
Thats how it works for my Triton & the bars have NEVER settled as they seem to do in the Nissans..which seem to be either soft or poor quality perhaps.
The dealer should do this in about 20mins but you may need to do it later down the track!!
AnswerID: 55730

Follow Up By: RussellP - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:27

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:27
Thought of that. However, it leans the same front and rear drivers side (without a driver in it). Wasn't too keen on having the left bar wound up more than the right. I'll check with a suspension guru to see if it would cause any problems.

Your correct about the softness of the Nissans' bar. It's as soft as.
FollowupID: 317636

Reply By: mik*2 - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:03

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:03
Russel,
Don't just leave your number, try and go in there. There shouldn'y be any problems with a warranty claim, if there is a problem, they should fix it. You should just go to the dealer you bought it from, and tell him your problem and getr the service manager involved. It may not be that serious. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that could make it sag a little like that (apart from damaged suspension parts which was an issue a few months ago as truckster said)....are you sure the car was on a level surface when you measured it? Just front up at the dealer and get them to check it out there and then......

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 55785

Follow Up By: RussellP - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:22

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:22
Mike,

I've had the vehicle in three times in the last month to the dealer I purchased it from. The first two times were to specifically look at the suspension, the last was for the 30K service. They keep telling me that a technician will call to discuss as they never seem to be on site when I pick up the ute after a service (?). I'm ringing them on Tuesday to discuss some service issues, ie $77 for 8.5 ltrs of oil, I'll be pushing the point on the suspension and their lack of response to my request to be called.

They state that they checked their work ute and one new Navara on the showrrom floor and they both leaned. Curiously, the new one didn't look like it was leaning to me. Soudns like a fob job to me.

At the 30k service, they noted that the rear brakes were wearing at what appeared to be a faster rate than the front. On asking the young girl at the counter, she tried to tell me it was because I carried heavy loads and that caused the rears to wear out faster. Problem is that the rear springs are so soft, you can't carry any heavy loads, and I dont anyway. I've got no issues with who ever or whatever serves me, all I want is to be able to discuss issues with someone who actually knows about the vehicle and wants to assist with resolving the problem.

Yeh, it was on a level concrete floor, measured from the bottom of the wheel rim to the bottom lip of the guard/tray to ensure that tyres were not a factor.
FollowupID: 317638

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:46

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:46
"They state that they checked their work ute and one new Navara on the showrrom floor and they both leaned."

Yea I'd be buying a car thats leaning to one side...

"Soudns like a fob job to me. "
hit it on the head there
FollowupID: 317673

Follow Up By: John H - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 23:01

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 23:01
Hi

I have a Nissan Navara feb 2004 and I tell you now mine dose not do that. From the past do what mik said go in there and tell the manager not happy till the job is fixed. And you want it fixed or you will be taking the matter to the head office. till this is fixed the matter is not closed
FollowupID: 317931

Reply By: mik*2 - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:55

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:55
well as far as the rear brakes go, well she might be right, the car is good for a tonne in the back and if that was the case yes i reckon they would wear faster, these cars have a rear brake load sensing system which puts more brake bias to the back when there is load present. Same would be that case for towing.
As for the lean, I have heard around the place that sometimes the drivers side is a tad higher so when the driver gets in, the car is then level (which is oppsite to what you have). Dunno the truth about that, just heard it. Maybe one of the torsion bars have sagged a bit for what ever reason, is it even from back to front? so is the whole right side sagged? or just the front or just the back? Just been out to mine and checked as a matter of interest and its pretty close, within a few mm.
Mine by the way is the V6 but shouldn't make any diff...
So was that $77 just for the oil? depends on the brand i guess but from memory, I paid best best part of $60 for 10 litres of oil on my last diesel and add in the dealer charging more cause they can, it's probably not far off the mark...sounds like your earlier services were a bit cheaper eh? The joys of dealing with people who THINK they know!! Stick to your guns...

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 55795

Follow Up By: mik*2 - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:58

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:58
now that i have read your last response!! Leaning the same all the way along is odd. Hmmm how are you measuring it?...

mike
FollowupID: 317641

Follow Up By: RussellP - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:55

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:55
Mike,

The most I've had in the back is a 400ltr water container. The thing dragged it's rear end on the ground so I haven't bothered carrying anything heavier than a round hay bale since. And have only done that twice.

The $77 was just for the oil, all 8.5 ltrs of the stuff. Pity it only holds 6.7 (inc filter). Just normal old Caltex FMX, nothing special. I get the 5k interim services (the diesels need to be doen every 5K) done by the local mechanic and I only pay 30 odd dolars for oil.

I'm measuring from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the front guard, and the bottom of the tray for the rears. This takes out any issues with tyre pressures being different etc which may affect the height. This may or may not be the same technique used by the dealer, however, the difference in measurements would be the same.

I've heard that Nissan did a rear suspension change around June last year. Don't know what it was or why. However, as the dealer checked a new one, it would appear that Navaras leaning wasn't the cause of the change.

I'll ring the dealer on Tuesday. Given the information that has surfaced from this forum and some other owners I have talked to (none of theirs leans either), it'll be interesting to see what transpires. I'll post the results.

thanks

Russell
FollowupID: 317655

Reply By: mik*2 - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:46

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:46
ok, looking forward to the result...
cheers
mike
AnswerID: 55818

Follow Up By: RussellP - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:32

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:32
The saga begins.

After waiting a week for someone to return my call, I finally found someone at the dealership that would talk to me.

Basic response was that as reported before, they all lean. If I wanted to have anything more done, I would need to talk to Nissan Australia to discuss the matter. They gave me a Sydney number to ring.

Anyway, it was the wrong number, I needed to talk to Customer Relations in Melbourne.

Ater a day of telephone tag, I finally was contacted by one of their customer relations managers. She couldn't figure out why the dealer had referred me to them yet as they (the dealer) still had two more avenues to persue before the Customer Relations people should get involved; an internal technical line and access to a state technical guru. She was very appolgetic and suggested that I get back in contact with the dealer and ask them to follow up the other two avenues as a matter of haste.

I rang the dealer. The service manger was busy. I left a message to call me back.

Still waiting :-(
FollowupID: 319120

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:02

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:02
Try this, tell them you're going to get it independently assessed, and fixed, and get a written report. Then you're going to go to VCAT (it's called this in Vic but may be called the Small Claims Tribunal or similar in other states) and you will recoup all losses from them. Works well, I've done it before and beating a BIG company is easy. They should snap into action.

Jim.
AnswerID: 55894

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:47

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:47
The answer is easy, you are getting your interim services done by an independant qualified mechanic, and therefore the dealer is dirty with you for not giving them all of your money. The rear brakes should have a load valve to allow more pressure to the rear drums when loaded, so if you drive around unloaded then the rear brakes hardly work at all. If they say they are wearing incorrectly, then tell them to adjust them under warranty and state that they are now operating correctly.. The lean - Easy nearly ALL torsion bar front ends settle over time from new , usually only a little then stabilise. It should be in the check points for the services - ' check front ride height '. All isuzu have this in their check list. Check your service book and if it states to check ride height, then get angry with the service manager and dealer principle for not doing the work you were charged for, and also your front tyres will be wearing on the inner edges from the change in toe-in due to the different ride height. It is an easy job to re-set the torsion bars then get a wheel alignment.

see-ya.
AnswerID: 55972

Sponsored Links