Disgusted!!

Submitted: Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 22:33
ThreadID: 12323 Views:1869 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We usually camp in the Avon Wilderness/Licola area, but as the handbrake had never seen Toorongo Falls we decided to overnight near there last night.
We looked at several spots on the Loch River which were nothing short of disgusting ........ rubbish bags piled in heaps, old bbq's, damaged chairs, "Please take your rubbish home" signs ripped out & burnt. We usually end up taking more rubbish home than we create ..... but this would have been impossible! We would have needed a full blown garbage truck.
Eventually we camped at Toorongo Falls, bit touristy, but well worth it. The work done by DSE there is a credit to them. The walking track to the falls is magnificient, as are the facilities at the car park & camping area, although there was still a fair bit of rubbish left by previous campers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 22:57

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 22:57
Thats just sickening, we do the same, take more rubbish home than just our own. It's sad that any of us have to. I think the total disregard some people have for the bush is just one more reason a lot of people don't give out information about their favourite spots when asked.
AnswerID: 55705

Reply By: Phil G - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 22:59

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 22:59
We camped on the McAllister river a few weeks back - nice spot, but we collected 3 bags of rubbish before we could set up camp. Theres no rubbish dump at Licola - either got to go to Heyfield or do as we did and carry it until we were in Dargo. Seems like a few ferals out there believe thats enough reason.
AnswerID: 55706

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:03

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:03
It 's so simple.

If you had room to take it out there you must have room to bring it BACK!!!!

AnswerID: 55707

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:07

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:07
makes sense doesn't it!........why do these same people seem to think glass bottles and tin cans go back to ash in the fire too?
FollowupID: 317564

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:14

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:14
Hey, it would not be for lack of trying!!!! These people are probably the ones that spend the afternoon ripping around colloecting all the wood within two square miles and then burn about 300kg of firewood per night leaving none for the rest of us. They try to achieve 9,000 deg C to see if those bottles and cans WILL turn to ash! LOL

Cheers

Steven
FollowupID: 317565

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:26

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 23:26
They are quite proud of their ability to make fire.....fire good! and people wonder why we set up our cars to get as remote and far away as possible.
FollowupID: 317566

Reply By: Diesel 1 - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:45

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:45
The thing that amazes me is how fast some people can create a mess after an area is cleaned. Up here in the Top End we have an annual cleanup known as the Wet - most of the crap left behind by those mongrels who don't give a damn about the environment is washed away by floodwaters and the runoff, but unfortunately it ends up being deposited somewhere else.

Last weekend I took a run out to one of my favourite billabongs near the South Alligator River and by the look of the tracks in, I was only the second vehicle out there since the rains stopped - the first one in had left empty VB cans, plastic Coke bottles and by the look of things had had generally emptied years of assorted rubbish out of his vehicle. To say that I was not happy is putting it very midly.

Diesel 1
AnswerID: 55721

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:27

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:27
Another good reason not to go away on long wackends...

Cant be classed with all the grubs...

Another excuse to close down areas, but the people who litter like this dont give 1% of ableepabout that..
AnswerID: 55736

Reply By: tim - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:42

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:42
This is the problem all the time, and then people like them will winge when places are closed down because rubbish is always left behind.
Its simple take out what you take in, and then everyone gets to enjoy it
Cheers Tim
AnswerID: 55793

Sponsored Links