Recent camping experience

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 18:15
ThreadID: 12336 Views:3394 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I just thought you might like an update on one of the places we stayed. We found it in the Hema National Parks book,it was described as being a council owned camp/caravan park, 9 kms west of Nowra, called Coolenel. It is actually privately owned, is 30kms west of Nowra on very winding, rough dirt road, and is pretty expensive at $15 per person for unpowered camping. It is very pretty, and is obviously very popular with families, as there were heaps of kids racing around on bikes. I believe there is also canoeing and kayaking on the river. The people who run it are very pleasant, and the amenities block was clean. However, I don't want to be told to limit my shower to 5 minutes when I'm paying so much for the privilege. Not really what we were looking for, nor what we expected to find!

Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Squid - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:13

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:13
Hi Anne,

We often go past Coolendel and think about stopping in but always end up at Yalwal. At that price I think we will be giving it a miss more often.

Have you ever stayed at Grady's Riverside Retreat? It is not far from Coolendell on the Shoalhaven river and looks like a nice spot.

Cheers
AnswerID: 55831

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:47

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:47
Its a good spot prices were increased to $18 per person per night over easter and fully packed.
AnswerID: 55833

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 17:56

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 17:56
after being stuck at landcruiser park recently we were able to make it to a small place named kilcoy.
they have a park with hot and cold water and hot showers power points scatered around the place and only $6 per van per night max 5 nights .
this is council owned and i thought what a top idea
AnswerID: 55880

Reply By: navaraman - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:10

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:10
"However, I don't want to be told to limit my shower to 5 minutes when I'm paying so much for the privilege"

I take your point but given the acute drought in most parts of the country at the moment can we justify spending more than 5 mins in the shower anyway. I'm not sure about that part of the world but here in SA anyone taking long showers need to take a good look at themselves. You'll probably find the caravan park water heaters are undersized and if people take long showers those at the back of the queue end up getting a cold one, stil at $15 pp per night they've got no excuses.

I will admit this is a bit of a hobby horse of mine being a) a fresh water angler and b) working in the hot water industry.
AnswerID: 55883

Follow Up By: Member - Anne - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:53

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:53
I absolutely agree with you about water usage! I am usually extremely careful about how long I stand under the shower, for exactly the reasons you mention. We are also from SA! Mind you that part of the country is as green as I have seen anywhere - they must be lucky with the rain.

Cheers
Anne
FollowupID: 317852

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:12

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:12
There are no water restrictions in the Nowra / Shoalhaven area. My son and his wife live in North Nowra (not THAT far from Coolandel) and they are able to wash their car, hose the driveway etc.

Pity someone didn't think to transport water from the Shoalhaven to Sydney/ Wollongong in the past!!
FollowupID: 317871

Sponsored Links