simpson desert

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:59
ThreadID: 12359 Views:1541 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip in july( hopefully crossing the simpson). Has anyone done it recently? Would it be possible with a hi-lux ute (maybe with a candy camper on the back, rather heavy)? Or towing a camper trailer behind a Nissan Patrol? What is the Rig Road like? How long would it take, starting at Dalhousie?
Any info would be a help. Thank-you!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:14

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:14
A heavy trailer behind a Hilux ute could be asking for problems. If you don't have experience towing in sand I'd suggest to start on an easier track. ie: SA/Vic border track. Although you could make it, getting bogged often or breaking down out there would certainly take the gloss of your holiday. These days the Rig road is not neccesarily any easier than the French Line. Both take around 3 days to cross. (allow 4)
Search 'Simpson Desert' at the top of the Forum for some colorfull discussion on
"should we tow trailers accross the Simpson?"
Cheers Craig..........................
AnswerID: 55896

Reply By: Jol - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:48

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:48
jj,

Trailers in the Simpson in July are not a problem, I have done it lots of times, and so long as you follow a few simple rules. Its all got to do with ground pressure. Softer the sand the less ground pressure you want. The tyres on the trailer need to be large ones AND it is necessary to let them down. I;ll be out there in may so can let you know. I have an article on trailers if you want it let me know.
Tyres and pressures are so important. Let the trailer tyres down first, then the car.
I have a lot more info, at jol130@hotmail.com thats if you want it.

Cheers Jol
AnswerID: 55907

Sponsored Links