Questions about Qld...

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:12
ThreadID: 12360 Views:1768 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Ok has anyone been to Midge point? Is it superstrength Insect Reppelant territory? Im hoping to stay at Travellers Rest on the beachfront... Can one swim here or is it mud flats? Do the sea stingers go away on holidays in the dry months or is that an urban myth? Now to Carnarvon Gorge... will I be able to tow a 19' tandem axel van in there or will the creek crossing and corrugations wreck it? No doubt someone on the forum will have recent experience.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:02

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:02
Midge Point is not named after midges It was the name of a boat that was wrecked there. I went in and had a look last year and wasn't too impressed. Beach was a typical tropical Queensland beach at low tide but you could swim OK at high tide. I have seen a couple of negative reports about Midge Point caravan park mostly by people with dogs when the park advertises dog friendly so they could be biased. Yes stingers disappear during winter. I haven't been to Carnarvon for 20yrs so I can't help you there. Why don't you put the question to one of the specailist caravanners froums as you should get more caravan info there. There is also a site called Badgers that has personal reports on caravan parks you might find this handy.

This link will take you to the caravanners forum
http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/
This link will get you to Badgers
http://www.geocities.com/flourpower.geo/parks.htm#Park%20listing
AnswerID: 56009

Reply By: AK - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:20

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:20
Rick we went to Carnarvon in July last year ( didn't tow a van though ) but there were some very big dual axle vans at the caravan park. There was about 6 inches of water on the creek crossings but they did have a concrete base. The last 30km from the high way was a very good and wide gravel road with few corrogations ( at that time ).
Cheers
AK
AnswerID: 56023

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:23

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:23
Can't help with Midge Point, but I spent Easter at Carnarvon Gorge and we had a ball.

The road in is easy. At least half it is bitumen now and the rest is well graded gravel. There were a number of big 'vans in at the camp grounds and nobody complained of anything except the dust.

AnswerID: 56076

Reply By: outtrekin - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:17

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:17
Hi

I agree with Meggs comment....if Midge Point is the one located nth of Mackay that is.....swimming is beautiful so long as its not stinger season. Have not been there for a very long time (Years) but it would not have changed that much.
Not to deter u , but the people who ran it some time ago were rude bastards, we found this on several occasions....even comments from other people were similar!....Lucky for the location!
AnswerID: 56091

Sponsored Links