A conviction for damage to and in Deua

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:42
ThreadID: 12377 Views:2163 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
The following report was sent to me for inclusion in our Club's monthly magazine. Many forumites who visit Deua and other prisitine areas of NSW will will please that finally NPWS has had success in prosecuting one of those idiots who insist on causing damage and presenting as a risk to other park users. Read and enjoy....the only problem with this is that they didn't name the offender in the press report.

23 April 2004
Moruya man heavily fined and banned from visiting parks after camp ground incident in Deua National Park

A 20 year old Moruya man has been heavily fined and banned from visiting a national park for three years after appearing in the Moruya Local Court on charges relating to an incident in Deua National Park on the far south coast last year.
>
The court heard that the man drove recklessly through the Bendethra
Camping Ground, which at the time, contained a large number of campers including children.
>
He was charged after members of a four-wheel drive club complained that he had deliberately run down and killed a wombat in the camping ground.
>
The man was subsequently charged with a total of ten offences including harming protected fauna, causing damage to the park, driving with unrestrained passengers and other driving offences.
>
After appearing in court yesterday he has been ordered to pay more than $3, 000 in fines, court and witness costs as well as serve 100 hours community service. He has been disqualified from driving for a year and has been placed on a good behaviour bond for three years during which he is banned from visiting a national park.
>
The head of the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) Dr Tony Fleming said today that the severity of the penalties sends a strong message.
>
"This man has been heavily penalised for his actions. It sends a clear message that the community will not tolerate this sort of behaviour in a national park.
>
"People who behave this way should be aware that we were able to prosecute because of the support and cooperation of members of a responsible four wheel drive club who immediately provided us with information that allowed the NPWS and Police to take legal action.
>
"The NPWS will not hesitate to prosecute people who flout the laws put in place to ensure the protection of the plants and animals within our national parks or who recklessly endanger other visitors, " Dr Fleming said.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:09

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:09
Good to hear, it's about time they did something about these idiots who spoil it for the majority of us.
AnswerID: 55962

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:36

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:36
Yes Athol, AND Its about time responsible people stood up for themselves and dobbed in the dummies who give as bad names such as this one. Its no good tut-tutting and not doing anything else. This guy got what he deserved because people took down the details and reported it. Anyone who sees this stuuf should take the rego and a pic or three and report it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 317880

Reply By: Flash - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:10

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:10
Great,
but I would not have complained if the fine/penalty had been even tougher.
Idiots like that deserve everything they get, though too many still get away with such behaviour.
AnswerID: 55963

Reply By: Mark - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:14

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:14
Thats great news & lets hope it serves as a deterent to other idiots out there that are trashing our National Parks. Personally I think anyone found carrying out this behavour should be forced to spend some time working on labour jobs with NPWS, this would serve as punishment & also hopefully teach them to have some respect for the fragile enviroment along the way.
AnswerID: 55965

Follow Up By: PradoBoy - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:42

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:42
I couldn't agree more with what everyone has said. I reckon Mark has a good point - but I'd add that the work within the national parks should be under constant close supervision to prevent the idiot/lout/clown from causing more damage.

Let's hope we can see more stories covering the apprehension of the people causing damage to our parks and loss of access for decent folks.

Has anyone seen any media coverage of this? Anyone let any of the 4WD magazines know? I'll bet Ron Moon (4X4 Australia) would love to know about it!
FollowupID: 317839

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:32

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:32
This should also act as a motivation for those of us who witness these idiots, to take pics or at least rego numbers and report them!!

Good news!
AnswerID: 55968

Reply By: navaraman - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:45

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:45
Good to read that. It's idiots like that who will lose access to tracks for those of us who do the right thing. I hope this get some publicity in the wider media and acts as a deterent. People who behave like that won't see it here.
AnswerID: 55971

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:25

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:25
Good to hear - now can we start penalising burglars and muggers in a similar manner??

"I'm sorry yer honour I..............." - select one of the following:

"was on drugs"

"was drunk"

"had a deprived childhood"

etc,etc

Bilbo
AnswerID: 55983

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:28

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:28
LMAO Agree totally.

none of the above should be an excuse for littering let alone a serious crime.
FollowupID: 317924

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:36

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:36
Still a lot don't get the message though including members of some 4wd clubs who should know better.
I was down at Bendethra over easter, there were unregistered trailbikes and quads tearing around past camps with small children, 4wd's being driven at excessive speeds past camps with small children, even 4wd owners with dogs.
To cap it all off there were some members of 4wd clubs (large signs across the top of the windscreen) climbing up the side of the hill to see how far they could get etc. When one vehicle became stuck against a tree they promptly cut it and others down!
Not very responsible activity at all and there was a ranger present in the valley sat/sun and we were ever so tempted to pass on vehicle details but as the adults in the party had not seen it first hand (teenagers in the group had though) we didn't.
AnswerID: 55995

Follow Up By: Brad - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:38

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:38
Peter 2,
Post the club and vehicle details here.
FollowupID: 317863

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:04

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:04
We were at Bendethra the week after Easter and saw the damage on the hill as you go into the camping area. We have to understand there are many cretins about that have no conception of public and moral duty. Are there however, areas that these sought of mindless people can go to undertake their stupid activities. For example rev heads can go to a track and burn money up in vehicle and tyre damage. Perhaps if there is 4WD areas then they should be advertised.
I used to be a member of the Mercedes car club, (I have a 350SL). I say was because in one club magazine a member had an article published about his trip through SA to WA. He told how he went bush around one town to miss the fruit and veg quarantine station so he did not have to dispose of all the stuff he had in the car. When I bought it to the clubs attention that he was breaking the law and they were condoning it by publishing the article the clubs answer was less than satisfactory and almost defensive of the person who wrote the article. I told them to stick their club. See, mindless idiots even drive Mercedes.
Richard
FollowupID: 317898

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:33

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:33
Peter 2,
I second Brad's request to name the club on the forum, or at least inform the authorities of the details. The fact that the people who witnessed the incident were youngsters makes it possibly even more important....otherwise what message does it send to these young blokes/girls......basically that it is okay to do such things and/or if you see somebody else doing the wrong thing, just look the other way.
At the very least, it should be brought to the attention of the state based association of 4 wheel drive clubs to which the club involved is probably affiliated. It simply CANNOT go unpunished. I feel very strongly about that point.
Good luck.
FollowupID: 317912

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:29

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:29
Its all been posted before when this first happened.
FollowupID: 317926

Reply By: crowie - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 13:29

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 13:29
Great to read this and it's a pity there is not more of it. Very hard to Police in an isolated area as some of these guys get very aggresive if they think their actions are being recorded. I remember the incident at Bendethra earlier in the year when a group sturred up the camping area after one of the few days of wet weather.

As for club members who do the wrong thing perhaps the Club as a whole should be "Outed" from the parks for a period unless the guily parties own up. I know we are reluctant to get involved, but getting involved and reporting incidents might clean up some of the camp sights and make camping and driving in these areas more enjoyable. Never going to get rid of every wanker but perhaps sites like this one could allow anonomous postings identifying individual vehicles (drivers) and club members doing the wrong thing.

Embarrassment might do wonders.
AnswerID: 56004

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:18

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 20:18
Crowie

A time will come in the future where clubs won't be "outed" it will be a case of only accredited clubs and tour operators that are allowed in.

That is the real tragedy for the majority who respect this great country of ours.

Landie
FollowupID: 317901

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:04

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:04
Perhaps another penalty that could be included is the confiscation of the vehicle.
That would put an instant end to this stupid behaviour.
AnswerID: 56010

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:57

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:57
Good to hear, start the ball rolling............
AnswerID: 56176

Reply By: Member - Steve- Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:47

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:47
You guys should really lighten up a little bit!

I am the president of the club involved and was at the hill on the day.

The hill in question is a known hill climb and has been so for as long as I can remember.

A vehicle did get stuck at the top as there wasn't a safe turning area and one was cleared by removing a couple of scrubby tree's.

We were in constant conversation with the ranger over the weekend and were camped within 50m of the quads which the ranger to knew about.

Although still dry and considering how many clubs were in the area over the Easter period due to the Jamboree cancellation, I though the area was in great shape and everyone was very well behaved and so to did the ranger.

Regards

Steve Hedges
AnswerID: 56427

Sponsored Links