3l oil coming out of engine oil cap

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:39
ThreadID: 12381 Views:1330 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day there i have recently purchased a 95 4runner i notice that with the oil filler cap off and the engine idleing i get a small amount of engine oil coming out of the hole when i place my hand over it, just wanting to know if this is normal i've read that depending on the rotation of the internals this is normal on some motors, can anyone confirm deny this or possibly check if there 3L motor is doing this, the motor only has 115,000 k's on it and runs very well..

thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:19

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:19
If the motor is a overhead cam motor -and I think it is, everything is these days, then it's normal. The oil supply to any o/h cam set up is copious to say the least. It's arguable that the camshaft in an o/h cam vehicle takes more oil than the crankshaft!

In the past I've occasionally started an o/h cam motor without the rocker cover in place - not to be done lightly as oil gets sprayed everywhere - I mean like about 3 metres away from the car!

I wouldn't worry about it.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 55980

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:26

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:26
I know this isn't the same engine but a Dealer forgot to screw the cap on a mates Rodeo (3.0 Diesel) and he only drove 2km and oil was srayed all over the underside of the bonnet and over the engine. It's sounds normal some oil coming outa the hole so I wouldn't worry about it.

Leroy
AnswerID: 55984

Reply By: DaLUX - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:59

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:59
thanks for all your help, i've also checked with a diesel mechanic at work and apparently it is normal depending on the rotation of the motor. thanks guys
AnswerID: 56016

Reply By: peck - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 19:01

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 19:01
I had a toyota bundera once upon a time (2.4 l turbo diesel) that my daughter used. Thermostat decided to stay shut and she cooked it. From that moment on copious quantities of oil sprayed out of filler. Ended up replacing engine as mechanic said rings loose tension and allow bypass causing excessive pressure in crankcase etc. Maybe a sign of future ring problems and much expense down the track.
AnswerID: 56437

Sponsored Links