GMC Generators

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 14:33
ThreadID: 12387 Views:1819 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can any owners of this generator or similar type who have used them over a period of time give me there honest opinion as to their reliability and overall fuel consumption. I realise that they are 2 stroke and are not in the same league as the Honda & Yamaha, so would appreciate genuine answers. This question will no doubt fire up the $1600 brigade to donate their replys, but try to refrain please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:31

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 16:31
I have had one for about 4 months. Longest I have run it continuosly is 9 hours. I have used it at least 4 - 5 hours a week ad it has never missed a beat or given trouble starting. For $198 I would highly recommend them. A tank of fuel will last about 5 1/2 hours. I carry a 10ltr 50:1 2 stroke container and this will do about 13 hours running.

I think there are some horror stories out there....maybe I got lucky with mine. Either way, GMC are well known to honour warranty claims without question and this gave me some peace of mind when buying mine. They also come with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee or your money back. Get one and run it for a decent while within that 30 days. If you are not happy - take it back......really nothing to lose.
AnswerID: 56026

Reply By: Vince NSW - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:10

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:10
Chris,
I've had mine for just over 12 mth. I paic $250 for mine and then watched as the peice dropped. Never missed a beat. We nonmally run for 2 to 3 hrs per night on trips and a tank lasts about 3 nights. longest run has been 6 hrs at home when we had bad storms and blackouts.
For the money they are great
Vince
AnswerID: 56034

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:41

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:41
Thanks for your answers now and for those that may follow, am very much obliged to all.
FollowupID: 317938

Reply By: Lynn2 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:31

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:31
Bought one. Took it home and started it . Took it back and got a refund. far too noisy!
AnswerID: 56037

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:25

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:25
Yep, they are not that quite.....especially if you start it up in a built up area. Try it out in the bush and its not too bad. We carry 50mtrs of extension cord and dig a pit to sit it in - cannot hear it. For me, thenoise is a small trade off for the price.
FollowupID: 317885

Reply By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 19:19

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 19:19
Chris,
I have a Powerbase version of the GMC genset and have run it for approx 12 hours now.I had some problems with restarting it when hot but sorted this out by playing with the mixture,advice given via this forum.Overall i am very happy with it.I get 4.5 hours per tank of fuel,noise levels are OK but it is worse than a Honda ($200 versus $1600???) IMHO you can't go wrong at that price. Buy the GMC and try it,If you don't like it take it back!!!!!!
As a side note my mate works at Bunnings Crambourne and he says they sell them by the pallet load with very few returns.
All the best
Nino.
AnswerID: 56050

Reply By: Member - Ken - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:43

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:43
Chris.

Bought one last week.

Opened it and fueled it last night.

Blooooooooody! hell mate, fuel literally p***ed out of the seam joining the two halves of the fuel tank.

Didn't even get to fire it up.

So its back to Bunnings today for an exchange and try again.

Oh! by the way I will be demanding that they identify the miscreant responsible for this 'shoddy piece of workmanship' and give him/her a jolly good 'chastisement as per that prescribed in the PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

On a more serious note, I do believe that you get what you pay for ( Thank goodness for Bunnings and their return policy) however if I can get one that fires up and does the job, well I am way ahead.

NOTE: They are advertised and sold as 850W's when in fact they are 650W's continuous and Max 850W's on short term load. That is made clear in the instructions inside that you can't see until you open it up.

Still, if it goes etc etc you are still ahead.

I have heaps of other GMC tools, flog them to death and never had a problem. ( all from Bunnings)

Regards

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 56120

Sponsored Links