Camper Trailer Gibb River Road

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:37
ThreadID: 12393 Views:2635 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning a trip down the Gibb River Road in mid May. I have a Prestige Off Road Camper trailer with independant rear suspension. It's a good solid trailer but weighs quite a bit. Just after info from others who may have done the Gibb River as well as Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu with an off road camper trailer. I have heard from one fella that he saw countless numbers of trailers with wives parked on the side of the track while the hubby drives into town or wherever for help after a breakdown. Anyone had similar experiences or can offer advise, especially on whether I'd make it to Kalumburu etc. without a breakdown..

Thanks Hank
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lynn2 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:29

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:29
Did the Gibb River Road in 2002, could easily have towed a campervan, even a caravan then. We did not go to the Mitchell Plateau so cannot comment.

I am coming to the conclusion that people often emphasise the problems on these roads to make it seem that they are so competent in having travelled them. Go for it and make your own decisions as you approach each turnoff!!

Regards.
Lynn
AnswerID: 56045

Reply By: The Banjo - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:59

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:59
Ditto re Lynn's comment......having been to various outback places and then heard comment from other traveller's in caravan parks there is definitely a 'syndrome' afoot here. Many folk tend to exaggerate the experiences they have had. Puts them in a "high achiever' mode I guess. That said, when I get up there with my trailer, I'll have the sort of spares that really rough tracks try to break.......and then try and prevent that with sensible driving. If we come across really crook tracks we slow down ....if its too bad, we change routes if possible. Though misfortune can hit anyone, many folk who get stranded are just uneducated / ill-informed / or plain silly.
AnswerID: 56047

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 19:18

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 19:18
Hi Hankster,
I can assure you that it is no problem taking a good off road trailer down the GRR and the Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu.
Been down these roads on many occassions.

a) As long as the roads are OPEN, they can be closed, after a late cyclone, as late as June.

b) Adjust your road speed to suit the conditions, after the wet season ther could be wash outs and the grader may not have been there yet.

You should not have any trouble, assuming you are towing with a 4x4

On the GRR, speeding, even if you think you can, does all the dammage.

have a great trip

Cheers
AnswerID: 56049

Reply By: UB.1 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:19

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:19
Hello all
I can only agree with all the above comments. Last time I was on the GRR in 1998, towed a standard 6x4 trailer NOT off-road behind the 60 series. No problems at all, just took care but didn't hold any one up either. Later did the Bungles - little more difficult due to limited clearance. It was unusually dry that September so had little water to cross entering the Bungles otherwise wouldn't have taken the 6x4 but parked it and done 2 trips in the 60 series.
AnswerID: 56075

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:51

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:51
Keep your pressures at the best leverl to suit the conditions. We have a heavy camper trailer and with 10R15 tyres I ran no more than 25 psi on dirt roads and had no trouble with the trailer that wasn't my own fault. Also ran approx 28 in the troopy and didn't get a flat tyre in 55000km.

Adjust pressures to suit the conditions!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 56084

Reply By: Member - John- Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 23:40

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 23:40
Appropriate tyre pressures every day based on conditions (don't need to be real hard) as your average speed will be 60-80kph, keep the speed down because it is real hard to wash off speed with a sharp wash away 30m ahead in heavy corrugations with a trailer bouncing around behind. Don't overload, vehicle AND trailer should both be at or under mfrs GVM. Carry a spare shocker (used ones are fine) along with spare rubbers, washers, nuts, etc.

Most common failures on the GRR is busted trailer suspensions, followed by busted fourbies suspensions followed by electrical failures.

Most common accidents are rollovers (about 2 per week, often tourists in overloaded topheavy Troopy campers). Excessive speed every time.

Have a great time. I will be leading half a dozen vehicles from two LROC's around the Kimberley in late May.

Have a good time

JohnS
Derby, WA

AnswerID: 56105

Reply By: Arkay - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:36

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:36
Hi Hank. We will be in and around trhe Kimberleys and GRR about then too. Pulling an off-road camper trailer (Bushranger) , with Exploroz sticker (Dark blue Jackaroo). Extensive pre-trip research indicates GRR is O.K. for the trailer, but if you intend to do the Mitchell Plateau / Falls or Kalamburu leave the trailer at Drysdale Station (free service - see Anne there, Exploroz user).
Perhaps Heather & I will see you around the traps. Leaving Adelaide this Saturday 01/05/04.
AnswerID: 56153

Follow Up By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:44

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:44
Have been to Mitchell falls mid April 2 years ago. In fact the Kalumburu Rd wasn't opened untill the following day and zero maintenance had occured on the road since before the wet season. Towed a Cavalier Camper all the way behind a Standard Troopy. No big deal. I think that the Bloomfield track was worse before the big maintenance effort 18 months ago.
FollowupID: 318046

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:42

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:42
Hankster,

was on GRR this time last week. Freshly graded and would have been a doddle with trailer. Was closed at Mt Barnett due to flooding. Track to Lennard Gorge would be a challenge with a trailer!
Go slow and keep tyres as flat as possible.
AnswerID: 56193

Reply By: scott - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 23:09

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 23:09
A group of 3 all with trailers 2 with conventional suspension & the other with ind
offroad did the Gibb River & Kalumbaru roads last August with out any problems.
We did come across allot of people who had shreaded tyres but that was mainly on the 4 wheel drives & sharp rocks the cause. We all ran 35psi min in all tyres one ran 40psi all round. All tracks into the various sites where badly corrugated
& the section from Gibb River Road to King Edward River camping area was also badly corrugated, we camped there & did a day trip to Mitchell Falls to save on more of those corrugations. From King Eddward to Kalumburu was fine. Probaly our biggest concern for damage to trailers where the river crossings where you would happily be doing 80 and the next crawling through a river crossing it didn't take long to learn!! along with the ever changing road from a nice smooth clay into a road of rocks.
AnswerID: 56314

Follow Up By: Hankster - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:52

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:52
Thanks for all your replies... I think we'll enjoy the trip and maybe even make it all the way to Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu. I'll play it by ear as far as towing north of Drysdale but I'm hoping the roads aren't too bad this early in the year (although it could be stuffed still from the wet).

Cheers

Hank
FollowupID: 318104

Sponsored Links