Call for 4WD Newbies

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:29
ThreadID: 12405 Views:1772 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My partner and I have just purchased a 4WD (Prado 3.0 TD) as a tow vehicle for our caravan and other 4WD adventures. We have used the vehicle on our local beaches without any trouble but would like to become more adventurous. We do not wish to join a large 4WD club but, instead, are wondering if there are any likeminded people out there who wish, like us, to begin the 4WD adventure at our own pace with short trips at first but longer with experience. We love to travel but are mindful of the safety in numbers. We are not limited to caravanning by any means and love our camping. I am interested (read obsessed) with fishing but my partner is not!
We live in the Hunter region of NSW.

Please drop me an email if this idea interests you.
Cheers
Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:49

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 00:49
Have you done any driver training? What recovery gear and comms kit do you have?

IMHO you should look at driver training FIRST. Wether that be in a club, which you also get some training, and some experience off others before you get too adventurous. You also get some miles behind you with other experienced people.

YMMV

AnswerID: 56109

Reply By: Member - Jeffrey - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:28

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:28
Hi breamfisherman,
Search the net and you will find clubs in your area,don't be put off by the size be it big or small,they are full of friendly helpfull people and they have all been and probably thought the same way you do now before they jioned a club.On a more serious note my theory is one obstackle you get over or around is one closer to getting hung up! As a mininum you should have a snatch strap and rated shackles and a long handle shovel and a UHF radio ,10, I think is calling channell, and something to drink.
Have fun mate,be carefull.

All The Best In Health And Wealth
Jeffrey (AKA JD)
AnswerID: 56150

Follow Up By: breamfisherman - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:42

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:42
Thanks Jeffrey. I didn't want to put to much info in original message but just to explain a bit further. Using this site (brilliant and so informative!) I have reseached and now bought what I hope is basic recovery gear (but certainly not the end of my shopping list)...
I have a snatch strap, rated bow shackles, LH shovel and have recently fitted a TX3400 UHF. I decided not to skimp on the radio and bought the best value for money based on numerous forum discussions on the subject.
I didn't buy a high lift jack as the 'plastic' bumpers on the Prado don't really allow me anywhere to lift from. I know I need a hand winch and tyre repair equipment but this will come as funds allow. I am very aware of my limitations and, at least for the time being, will limit my adventurousness accordingly.
Thank you for your interest. The one thing I do look forward to is meeting the (nice) kind of people that I believe this form of recreation inherently attracts. Cheers.
FollowupID: 317975

Reply By: Space Bastard - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:18

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:18
I've done a bit of exploring in your local area, and I would reccommend you check out the Watagan mountain range just west of Lake Macquarie. There's plenty for most levels of driver, and camping grounds if you're that way inclined. In wet weather be very careful of the trails as it is all clay, and can get very messy at times - even on the good roads - and often there are road closures after extended rainy periods.

I'm afraid the fishing is pretty poor, as mud puddles aren't a particularly good breeding ground for fish ;)

Also, I think there are a few hunter region 4x4 clubs that regularly go up there, but I'm not involved with them. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you along on their trips.
AnswerID: 56246

Reply By: Member - Greg (rolly) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:43

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:43
Breamfisherman,
My family too are likeminded people and go bush when ever we can, however we joined some time back a 4WD club (Darwin) and has provided us with experience, access to special areas, ideas and social culture that an exellent 4WD club has to offer. We don't attend all their activities due to us being 320klm away from Darwin but we do venture with friends to secret spots in our local area. I think our next trip will be Gregory National Park on the way to Kununurra. If there is one item you should take it would be a good quality bow saw, I have a small one in the recovery box, beats carrying a chain saw (its all about weight). Cheers
Rolly
AnswerID: 56766

Sponsored Links