Jerrycan issue

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:29
ThreadID: 12412 Views:1273 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I refer to part of my post 12370 and the problems I have had with new jerries.

I had bought eight new ssteel jerry cans, four each from two different manufacturers. I had two full ones left after my trip, one from each manufacturer. I decanted the jerries into empty ones and filtered the contents. White particles were spat out from the filler of the can as I emptied the dregs. When I touched these particles they disintegrated and became a slippery substance not unlike soap. These particles where visible only from the Lion Brand jerry cans. It would seem that some of the particles become soluble and escaped through the filter in to my fuel tank and they in turn blocked up my electric fuel pump and brought forward movement to an end. I had put 60 litres of this contamined fuel in to my tank. And guess what?......my Brown Davis Long Range tank does not have a drain plug. Removing the tank is not an option as we had to alter the tow-hitch to fit the tank in the first place. I can only hope that all of the contaminants have pased through the system.

Interestingly.. on the label of the Lion Brand jerry cans it is stated that ' This container must not be used for highly flammable substances '....What is the use of the jerrycan then?

Someone is not going to have a happy day today as I am on the war path.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:57

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:57
Go get em Willem!!
AnswerID: 56134

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:15

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:15
Willem,

If that is the marking then they must only be good for water. I thought there were plastic ones for that???? First time I've heard of a steel jerry that can't be used for fuel! Were they really really cheap? Maybe that is why!!

Give 'em hell buddy!

Steven
AnswerID: 56142

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:20

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:20
StevenL,

No, they were $39 each and the others I got on special for $40($48 new).

I have also never heard of water use in in steel jerries.

We shall see what transpires!

Cheers
FollowupID: 317945

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:20

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:20
They don't make things like they used too, stick it up Willem, make the buggers pay !! Might have to go plastic mate.

Baz.
AnswerID: 56144

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:44

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:44
And thats for a petrol imagine the$$$$ that could be involved using those jerries with a diesal
AnswerID: 56156

Reply By: Wombat - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:07

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:07
"Interestingly.. on the label of the Lion Brand jerry cans it is stated that ' This container must not be used for highly flammable substances '...."

Not trying to be facetious or disrespectful Willie, but I think the retailer will simply quote the label at you when you read him the riot act.

Maybe the jerry cans you bought were intended for pose factor use only on Toorak tractors, not real 4WDs like Rosie!
AnswerID: 56177

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:02

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:02
Aaahhhhh Paul,

This is the country mate............Took the jerries in this morning and explained my predicament and handed over a letter of demand. I do a lot of small business with the retailer and he and I are on friendly terms so there is no need to get aggro. He said no worries he would look after it but had to attend to a sick horse today. Apparently the suppliers rep came in today and was shocked to see the label. We buy jerry cans to use for the storage of fuel!! Took all four jerries back to Adelaide(two still full of petrol) for analysis. Will see what the outcome is. I have demanded refund of purchase price of jerries, refund of 80 litres of fuel and cost of new fuel pump. I am expectinbg a positive resolve. Will keep you informed.

Regards
FollowupID: 318019

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:40

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:40
Do you have any info on how Uncle is? If you need a new travelling companion, Jen is in the mood for another trip but I will have to talk to you about her special requirements!

Andrew
AnswerID: 56182

Sponsored Links