Bio diesel

Submitted: Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1242 Views:2254 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with bio diesel, which I understand is extracted from used fast food cooking oil? Any problems with filters, injectors or smells. Can it be added to or mixed with normal diesel fuel, is performance and/or consumption any better or worse than with normal fuel, and, is it commercially available in the Sydney area?

I had heard that a Western Australian outlet had been opened and that there were plans for bio diesel to be manufactured from some oilseed crops and that there were plans for it to be marketed from various outlets.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Jim
We have similar fuel in Melbourne available and I found that the Turbo diesel did not like running with it. The other problem mentioned is that one of the members in the club had to have both tanks removed and cleaned after running on it for 6 months, check it out before using it
Ray
AnswerID: 3972

Reply By: jono - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Jim,
Through my studies a few years ago in Environmental Science at Murdoch University in Western Australia, i came into contact with Bio Diesel a bit. There is/was a small group at the Uni conducting research into the use/problems/viability of Bio Diesel. And i believe that indeed a couple of the Uni Landcruisers were in fact running Bio Diesel. The West Australian newspaper ran an article some time ago on the subject, it looked at some bloke in Perth who was collecting used oil from fish and chip shops who would actually pay him to remove their used oil. He then mucked around with different mixes and tested them in his 80series cruiser. From what he said, there were no adverse affects in running on Bio. However i'm not sure how long or how much research he had done. He did say that performance was slightly down but nothing too bad, and that consumption was up a fair bit, but considering he was being paid to take away the oil he thought it was worth the trouble. I'm not sure about the availability of Bio, but clearly it is not available at normal servo's so that is going to seriously limit its use. Also if you were storing and mixing it yourself, you would have to have big storage tanks in you own home (not sure on the legal standing of this?). Anyway, hope this sheds a bit of light on the subject. Cheers Jono.
AnswerID: 3975

Reply By: Member - Roger - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

HI Jim,
One of our 4wd club Members makes his own bio diesel and has been running his GQ Patrol on it for almost two years, He has had no problems with the vehicle at all as a matter of fact the oil when he changes it at the recomended service intervalls is still in pristine condition. He has an aftermarket turbo fitted and the vehicle easily out powers the normal 4.2 turbo unit.
Regards Dodg.
AnswerID: 3977

Reply By: Royce - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

I am very interested in Bio diesel. I travel thousands of ks with a science show. Do a search on the net and get onto Renew Magazine. There's lots of info out there. It should be a goer. I am toying with the idea. Let us know how you go. Royce
AnswerID: 3982

Reply By: winaje - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

try http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/main.htm for info etc.

Bill
AnswerID: 3986

Reply By: Geoff Edwards - Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
Jim,re Ray's reply biodiesel acts like a solvent and cleans out all the muck left by dinodeisel.It is necessary to change the change fuel filters ,maybe after only a few tankfuls depending on the build up.Overall cheap if you can make it yourself,offers better lubrication and is more enviromentally friendly.
Amadeus Petroleum are establishing a plant in the South West of WA at Picton to produce fuel from tallow and canola oil.
To make your own try www.journeytoforever.org
AnswerID: 4091

Sponsored Links