Tyres

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 19:51
ThreadID: 12428 Views:2034 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
What can anyone tell me about Toyo Open Country Tyres and/or Pirelli Scorpions? They are both supposed to be an AT tyre. How do they perform off road and wear?

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 20:31

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 20:31
Jimbo

Been on the Toyos for a while. They are commonly known as OPATS - you will see this name on the casing in only a minor way.

They come in 8 or 10 ply from memory. I got them in 10 ply, as I was looking for a tough tyre. I like the fact that they have relatively vertical sidewalls, but I still have punctured them (sticks).

They go well on dirt & sand. Hard to tell how far in Km's I will get because I have been over some very rough country with them. On a very stony/rocky 2200km recently,at 26-28 psi with about a total weight of 3t, I was able to see that they did not chip. Plenty of pock/cut/wear marks, but heyy??? One of the 4 tyres on this run was a new Donut/Bridgestone. It wore less well than the 3 x Opats.

They are fine on sand - have run them down at 12-16 quite often.Certainly not too agressive.

On bitumen I run them a bit higher - say 32-34, but that is mostly as they need that else will run too hot. They seem to be fine on the blacktop, but as I live in South Aus, I cannot say much about wet weather driving on the blacktop!

re the Pirellis - I never see them off toorak tractors. That is to say, IMHO, no one in the bush drives them. Gotta be a reason - it may even be just a distribution reason.

cheers
AnswerID: 56268

Follow Up By: Member - Rick - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 23:09

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 23:09
hmmmm,,,,,lets see now.
i sure dont have a toorak tractor( the multiple scratches down the side, and the repairs from a hapless emu testify to that.)
now onto the tyres.
after 12 months and 45,000k, the Toyo's are less than half worn.
bitumen: (wet or dry), excellent grip- tho slightly squirmy till the sheen rubs off the tread.
sand: done largely at 20psi( ranging from beach to the Francois Peron National Park-W.A.),,,,only once down to 16psi.(pulling a bogged landcruiser out :) )
Rock :some slippage as would be expected from an A/T tyre (however,,,a lot grippier than the original bridgestones)
mud: very surprised at the tyres abillity to shed mud fairly quickly, i think in large due to the more open tread pattern.
dirt roads : very good grip,,usually deflate to 25psi.
generally run at 36psi around town unladen.
vehicle is a 2002 patrol wagon.
hope this helps.

rick,,,,,from W.A.
FollowupID: 318055

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 21:53

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 21:53
Hi Jimbo

The Pirellis I've seen have suffered badly from losing chunks from the tread blocks on gravel. I think they're a great bitumen tyre, but stay off the dirt.

John
Oodnadatta
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 56287

Reply By: Play Rough - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:23

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:23
I have the toyo OPAT AT 265/75/16 on my Prado, they've done 64000 k's still look good for at least another 20000 and have been resonably impressed by their offroad performace dispite being told recently by a tyre guy they where never intended for off road use??? but I'm trying to decide between the goodyear MTR's (heard heap of good reports) and the Cooper ST's as the replacements for something at little more serious and the 'BIG' trip planned soon. A mate of mine has the pirelli's and they seem to perform just as good as the toyo's.

Craig
AnswerID: 56324

Reply By: GOGO - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:23

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:23
I have been running OPAT's for the last 50,000k. As I do a lot of black top driving on wet and dry I have found them very good (a lot better the the previous). Should be good for another 30,000k. Have done a bit on the rough. Already torn a small chunck out of the side of one.

All in all a good all round tyre. Not too noisy, good grip in the wet and wears good. The price ain't bad either at $150 a piece fitted.

Geoff...
AnswerID: 56624

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:52

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:52
WOW

they are $ 250 fitted here in Adelaide
FollowupID: 318528

Sponsored Links