Stoneguard-Deflector for Dirt Road Caravan

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:02
ThreadID: 12445 Views:9939 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for advice/recommendations and a possible supplier/installer of a stoneguard for my Coromal Seka 505 Pioneer XC Dirt-Road caravan.
I have a contact for a Melbourne supplier of a unit consisting of an aluminium frame and and some kind of mesh. It is reportably fully adjustable and easy to fit as well as being able to folded and stored when not in use.
Perhaps, unfairly so, I am skeptical of its strength and suitability for some of the corrigated roads that I travel and would prefer a custom made galvanised steel frame similar to that which are used on a lot of off-road camper trailers.
I would appreciate any guidance that can be provided and comments from anyone who has purchased and fitted the aluminium framed Stoenguard-Deflector.
Preferably a supplier in th Illawarra (NSW) or Sydney.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:08

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:08
This is not really the answer you are requiring. Out here (in the real outback) the only thing to stop your van being stone damaged and more importantly, the back windscreen of your vehicle, is to cover it with something. We recommend beer cartons for the back windscreen (good to drink and reasonably cheap cover and we can tell what state you come from by the brand) - caravans come in here with the front covered in - blankets, tape, cartons, perspex, plastic, garbage bags etc. I do believe we (again) are becoming a little too precious about these things. However, please do not come back at me by saying that YOUR (and I use the plural) particular web, net under tow-bar thing is the best - I see about 4 or 5 per week that are broken. Must be the special gibber stones here. Just my bit and I apologise for not giving the correct answer. Cheers.
AnswerID: 56369

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:34

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:34
Ruth,

I appreciate your reply and yes, the cardboard solution is on the list. Like many things, in this sort of past time not fulltime employment, it's a compromise often invloving the folding stuff.

Just looking to see what options are possible.
FollowupID: 318090

Reply By: Ross - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 13:54

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 13:54
Look up the campertrailer web site and ask advice there.
AnswerID: 56393

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:59

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:59
Ross,

Did you have specific web site in mind?
So far my searhes on this subject have not been very sucessful.
FollowupID: 318132

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 16:00

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 16:00
Try this: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/
FollowupID: 318141

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:07

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:07
goodday roscoe
fortunately i had a good neighbour to make my full front cover can be made from a variety of materials
ours was made from 2 sheets of a thick vinyl and filled with padding and sewn up (internally waterproof) held on with 4 large press studs no more stone marks on front of pop top this was a full height stone gaurd he also knocked up two rear window protectors from some thick underlaystuff and sewed on a couple of bits of velcro to hold them on .going to have to suck up as we have bought a new van .if he cant do it i am looking at a canvas place who should be able to make something .we never worried about taking it off for an overnight stop .,
we had a jayco freedom offroad van

steve
AnswerID: 56421

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 16:15

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 16:15
Recently met a couple that had a very nice stone guard on the front of a Jayco Freedom. He had designed it himself and had it manufactured then powder coated. It used a mess welded to a frame then bolted to the A Frame and front subframe. Perhaps you could seek the help of a engineering/fabricating firm to help with the design.

Another option is to fit full width mud/stone flap to the rear of your vehicle as it prevents most of the stones getting to the van. Heavy weight rubber screwed or bolted to rectangular box steel and attached to the rear of the vehicle.

My experience has not necessarily been damage to the front of my van but the stones tend to flick up onto the rear of the car from the van and can potentially damage the rear window and roof.

Happy Caravanning

Wizard
Prado TD
Jayco Freedom 16ft

AnswerID: 57183

Sponsored Links