Cost of around Australia Trip

Submitted: Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1245 Views:7936 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, my family (2 x Adults & 2 x Children) are planning a trip around and thru Australia for approx 12 months. We are trying to work out a daily cost including food, fuel and accomodation. We're taking a Pajero 3.5 petrol Auto and towing an Off-Road camper trailer. Planning to stay in National Parks and bush camps with the occasional caravan park for a bit of luxury. Maybe once a week or so. If anyone has any ideas based on past experience I would be glad to hear.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Wendy

We are 8 months into a 12 month trip. We prefer to bush camp but
occasionally go to a park. We eat well and drink fairly well. We have
travelled 35000 KM so far and are spending around $2800 a month
for everything including a few touristy entry fees.

Rob
AnswerID: 3997

Follow Up By: Wendy & Steve - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response. I would like to find out more about your setup.

Could you let me know how many people are travelling in your group ?, what type of vehicle you have (inc petrol or diesel) ?, are you towing a camper/trailer or caravan ?

Regards,
Wendy.
FollowupID: 1693

Reply By: red - Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
Wendy,the wife and our 2 kids, 5 & 3 went around Australia for 6 months in 98,as it was going to be a one off we didn't miss much for the kids to see(tourist things)the wife had a flight over the Bungles, I had a fishing charter in Darwin ,we stayed at Beetleup Cottages in Pembertonfor a couple of nights(one free because that is the type of people that own the cottages,wonderful).The rest of the time we bush camped plus the odd caravan park,rather expensive down the west coast in tourist season.We have a diesel 4.2 patrol and a Jayco off road camper with Tinny on roof,did 22500 kms and averaged 20mpg.Over all we budgeted $100/day,but we still came home with spare cash,we had no breakdows not like some we saw on Gibb river road but you havce to budget a couple of grand just to be on the safe side.hope this helps and have a great time,we did and we are going to do it again soon, only not as far & for a longer time
AnswerID: 4082

Reply By: Axel +Karen - Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00
Wendy ,we also have been looking into the average daily cost of a trip such as yours,,, asking rellies ,freinds ,strangers ,all who have been there , done that ,and the best / worst always comes to $100 per day as long as no major mechanical problems arise ,,, enjoy your trip ,,Karen
AnswerID: 4093

Sponsored Links