Camper trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 13:59
ThreadID: 12455 Views:6542 Replies:17 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm about to start the process of looking for a camper. Didn't think I'd go down this path but I guess it had to happen. While I like the hard floor campers they all seem to be worth a lot more that the soft floor versions and quite heavy.

I'd like:

Good quality both in the trailer and canvas.
Kitchen if possible.
Quality suspension for rough roads.
Light as possible.

I know the last one depends on how strongly it's built but some do go a little over board. Can anyone tell me:

Some good brands to look at, prices up to approx $15k (Qld or northern NSW)??
What I should look for eg what to have and what problems to look for eg side or back tent etc??

Thanks all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McGuckian - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:10

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:10
Take a look at the campertrailers group on Yahoo:

a href="http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers</a

This group has a good lisitng of manufacturers.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56397

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 15:20

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 15:20
Or go to google and type in camper trailers, make sure you click aust only. it will take you to all camper makers and sellers.

Baz.
FollowupID: 318136

Reply By: Peter McGuckian - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:12

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:12
Another attempt at the link bit:

campertrailers
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56398

Reply By: Member - Jeffrey - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 15:16

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 15:16
Hi Austravel,
I know a person who will custom make a camper to suit your needs and to suit your budget.If you are interested e mail me for more info.
Jeffrey (AKA JD)
darby26@swiftdsl.com.au
AnswerID: 56404

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 16:53

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 16:53
Do a business search on this site as several advertise here & if you call them say you found them here
AnswerID: 56418

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:54

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:54
Look at Cavalier.

Very strong. Very heavy canvas. Basic leaf suspension , but easy to find parts out bush.
AnswerID: 56428

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 18:25

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 18:25
Or look at a late model Track Eagle ...... arguably no better trailer, which is the bit that counts!
AnswerID: 56433

Reply By: duncs - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 18:33

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 18:33
Aus,

We (two adults and three kids, now 15, 11 & 10) have been travelling for eight years in a TrakShak. We are very happy with the unit.

Heaps of space for the family. Room to carry 12 jerry cans. Comes with a spare wheel, inflatable jockey wheel, treg coupling. Mine has independant coil suspension which is excellent but they are available with leaf and a solid axle. I have towed both and their is little difference when towing but I think the coils ride a bit softer. We have not broken anything in the trailer.

It has a soft floor but that has never been a problem. Just exercise a little care. A piece opf marine carpet makes a huge difference. 660kg dry. Comes with a kitchen that can be used inside or removed and placed wherever you like around the campsite. Takes about 6 min to set up. They have changed a little since I bought mine with a few things that may or may not be of interest.

Oh and they are nice people to do business with.

Whatever you buy be sure to compare apples with apples. Things like upgrading the coupling and the jockey wheel don't seem like a big deal but when you add it all up some of the cheap campers are actually pretty dear compared with one that is full spec off the floor. We looked at some that were half the price until we added everything we wanted to bring them in line with the Trak Shak. They ended up costing more.

A bit dearer than your $15k and based in Adelaide but they will ship it anywhere and can be seen at most major 4wd shows.

Have a good look before you buy, if you get the one that is right for you it will be a pleasure if you get the wrong one it will be a pain.

Happy shopping
Duncs
AnswerID: 56434

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:38

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:38
Hi,
Have to agree with Duncs. We are just new Trak Shak owners, but they are solidly built, and great for a family, and peter and the guys there can customise it to suit your needs. Another good thing is a lot of the extras can be added later, like fold over boat racks and solar panels.

The people have been fantastic to deal with, and that's with me calling a million times with questions along the way. They also really have thought of everything with the design too, I can not think of much to modify on it at all, which is something I actualy like to do, like with the car

So make sure you have a look at them, if you do get one you won't be dissapointed. happy travels with what ever you choose tho, and feel free to contact me for any info if you are interested

Glenn
FollowupID: 318178

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:59

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:59
Go for a Trak Shak . I can confirm all that Duncs and Gajm said . My mate saw mine and found himself a good second hand one for 15,000 .
Willie
FollowupID: 318294

Reply By: Bundy - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:12

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:12
Austravel

We have recently fininshed the process that you seem to have started...We narrowed our list down to a couple including the Cavalier and Lifestyle Campers and ended up with a Lifestyle Camper. Had a few extra benefits for same $ as the Cavalier. We have already given it a bit of a test through bulldust and over rough roads and sandy tracks with no probs. All of the experiences we have had dealing with John have been positive and we look forward to many more trips away.

Lifestyle are built at Oxlley in Bris. Call John 0n 0412 746 156 for some specs. In our experience they included quite a few extras that many others charge extra for such as Tregg or Highland Hitch, water tank etc. It suited us and our needs but may not be your ideal camper.

Good luck with the search!

Bundy
AnswerID: 56468

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:39

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:39
Hi Austravel,
One of the best things is to rent a couple of different types of CT's & look at what your own needs are.
Then go look at some of the manufacturers, costs etc & put your own thoughts in with options that are offered.
There is a Camping Show in Brissie in early June. More food for thought.
John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 56473

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 22:44

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 22:44
Austravel,
Try O'Brien trailers, I've got one had it for the last five years ish and it's great, the pull out drawer that's the length of the trailer is a real winner, not many other camper trailers have one, under 15K as well.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 56491

Reply By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 00:18

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 00:18
I have just gone down this route Austravel

I am just about to place an order for the Discovery model from www.outbackcampertrailers.com. These guys are located in Brisbane and the units they make are actually made from the same plans that Wandering Star from WA make. www.wanderingstar.com.au. Awsome finish and quality.
I am getting the double decker model that can house kids and adults.

Take a look at both Websites. These manufactures are friends of each others and there are only slight asthetic differences between there 2 top models.
You should get some change out of 15K.

Cheers Cruisin
AnswerID: 56506

Reply By: GaryW - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:31

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:31
We looked at various options but were much keener on the hard floor so paid up. We have an Aussieswag Link

Ours has the works because we bought the one they were demoing at the show.

So we have battery/fridge, solar panel, heaps of canvas (Kids room and annex) also has the you-beaut trailing arm off-road suspension.

Your 15g's won't get you there. But they are certainly worth a look as a comparison. (Base model starts at 19.5K)

Gaz
AnswerID: 56521

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:49

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:49
There's a bloke up that way that makes them.

http://www.billabong-campers.com.au/

There is also a place in Ballina that sells CT's (sorry can't find the link for that one).
AnswerID: 56526

Reply By: Arkay - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:22

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:22
We have a Bushranger flip-over hard top/floor camper trailer off=road mdel. 60 litres water, 12v & 240v wired , independent camtilever suspension, HD chassis (chassis made by Preston Engineering , Melbourne), off-raod wj=heels & tyres, Treg trailer coupling, etc. VERY happy with it. Price 1/2 that of Campomatic or Kimberley etc. Around $13,000. Sold in SA by Beachside Caravans 08-8384-6588, must be a Qld distributor somewhere. They have a web site where you can lopk at pictures (some funny name site). Give them a call & have a look.
Off to the Kimberleys for 9 weeks with it this Saturday 01/05/04.
Work is for people who do not know haow to 4WD.
CUL
AnswerID: 56539

Reply By: Austravel - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 13:23

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 13:23
Great feedback,

Thanks for all the advice.
AnswerID: 56558

Reply By: Jimbo - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:18

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:18
I've looked at campers and they are a bloody lot of money for not much fruit. I am currently looking at an 80's Jayco or Sunwagon, which can be had for $2000 - $5000, and putting a decent axle, springs and tyres on it to get it off the ground a bit.

Only trouble is convincing SWMBO.

Jim.
AnswerID: 56753

Follow Up By: gerry - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:54

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:54
We also went down this track 12 months ago. We inspected close to 30 different CTs from the Sunshine Coast thru to Sydney, and we ended up buying a Travelsleeper from Landsborough (Sunshine Coast). It is soft floor, built on a 8' x 4' off-road trailer,and has a kitchen bench and sink built in. Cost was approx $8000 with 16" 5stud rims to match our Jeep (a little cheaper with 15" Toyota rims).
We have taken it from Bris to Melb and home via the back roads thru Lightning Ridge, and have just returned from a trip to Longreach, and a few days on the Barcoo and home via Carnarvon Gorge.The trailer tracks very well and is as solid as a rock. Highly recommended.Visit their website at www.travelsleeper.com.au
My advise re some others : if you stay at Caravan Parks at all during your trips you are best to buy one that has the tent swinging out to the passenger side. We saw one recently (think it was a Cavalier) at a CP having all sorts of problems trying to fit onto the site.
Good hunting...its part of the fun!
FollowupID: 318621

Reply By: Member- Rox - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 02:45

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 02:45
Mine is made in WA so no help here but Kitchens try drifta made in Qld & very popular http://www.drifta.com.au/
AnswerID: 56891

Sponsored Links