Membership

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:19
ThreadID: 12471 Views:1654 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Gday people, can we stop using membership to this site as a stick to hit people with?
David and Michelle made it an option. It is for the individual to decide if they want to join or not. Some people just can't for what ever reason, some simply choose not to. Some choose to for the other benefits you get with being a member, the point is being a non member doesn't make a reply of any less value.

I joined as my way of showing I appreciate the work that has gone into this site, and because thanks to everyone who replies to this forum I know I have saved a lot more than my membership cost, but it was my choice.

I'm just getting tired of seeing the issue brought up in posts, and I know some will say if you don't like a post don't read it, but I personaly don't want to see this turning into an us and them thing. We are ultimately all here for the same reasons and enjoy the same things.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:38

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:38
I would have to agree that it is very rude to 'hit' someone for not being a member. Most might come onto this site as a casual visitor only and they would be foolish to join. I thought that the behaviour of forumites had been pretty good lately without too many people slandering others.
Andrew
AnswerID: 56532

Follow Up By: Jen & Geoff - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:42

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:42
Yes Father Andrew, I think it is like any family, you have a "hit" or a "dig" but there is always room for forgiveness and life goes on. But then again there are some on here I would definently not want in my family;>) Thanks daddy, for checking the behaviour of us little forumites:>))) Jen
FollowupID: 318290

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:54

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:54
" some will say if you don't like a post don't read it"

I've heard this said before but have trouble understanding it. How the hell is one supposed to know if one likes it or not without one reading the post.

Fair enough about the big stick too
AnswerID: 56534

Follow Up By: Member - ramp - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:35

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:35
hi Mad Dog, have you really got 2 right hands cheers rob
FollowupID: 318289

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:47

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:47
And two left feet Rob
FollowupID: 318291

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:50

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:50
did someone mention a big stick???? beet me beet me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 56540

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:55

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:55
.......sorry............that is a service for members only!

( I couldn't resist)
FollowupID: 318283

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:47

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:47
What people will do with a beet these days !
Willie
FollowupID: 318292

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:51

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:51
Andrew, Thats also another reason I joined
FollowupID: 318293

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:17

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:17
I think in all seriousness that one must maintain one's sense of humour... Its good to see that the moderator has a sense of humour. I enjoy this forum, but I dont get as serious as some... I don't for example rate myself on the amount of recovery gear I have, maybe because I am not allowed to drive anywhere where I may need to be recovered, nor as some people find enthralling deliberatly get themselves stuck so they cam practise recovering themselves.. But to each his own...Maybe Im just used to being beaten... But a good thrashing with a wet tram ticket never hurt anyone! On the other hand maybe I'm jealous of all you people who's partners, wives etc enjoy going solo in the great outdoors.. I've tabled it for discussion at my next psych's appointment. Struth if I take the Jack of the asphalt I get an earfull. But the originator of this thread is correct, membership should not be used as a status symbol any more than the amount of recovery gear one lists on his/her profile.
AnswerID: 56546

Reply By: GaryW - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 13:01

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 13:01
I'm not a member. (Hope to be once I'm in a position to kit up for a GPS and will buy enough stuff to get the membership.)

I've never felt 'hit' - I was a bit miffed when my 1st post was ignored. But hey I guessed no-one knew the answer. *grin* I do try to contribute at least as much as I get. But the wealth of information here is so good its hard to contribute enough to match what you get out of it.

David & Michelle are to be congratulated for putting together a great resource.

Thanks

Gaz
AnswerID: 56550

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:19

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:19
Gajim I can't quite understand your post, is that a non member doesn't get answered or is answered in an off handed manner.
I took exception to one person here a while ago about the abusive nature of his messages and challanged him to join or shut up and surprise surprise he didn't join. By joining the member has to enter identifing information and he can be taken to task by the forum management instead of sniping behind an anomyous name and free email address. Trolls and their kind shouldn't be tolerated.
I finally joined after 2 years free membership as I believe I got my $50 worth so I support those free members.
AnswerID: 56565

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:46

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:46
Thats a fair comment about the abusive replies Meggs, but it isn't what I was talking about, as I am sure David has even those anonymous names and emails well in hand. ive just read quite a few replies lately where when people didn't agree and a difference of opinions followed it came down to people mentioning the status of their membership, and $50 spent doesn't make our replies any more informed or our opinons right.

I'm all for difference of opinion, its something that can make for some lively discussions, but no need to let it degenerate into something personal....again, this is only my opinion, and we don't have to agree.

FollowupID: 318319

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:37

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:37
I don't think you can hide behind free email addys anymore, but I could be wrong as I often am or so Lex say's
FollowupID: 318342

Follow Up By: Member - Meggs - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:56

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:56
Gajim Now I understand. I hadn't seen any of the post you refer to as I only look at the titles and if it doesn't interest me I don't go any further. Knowing what I now know I have to agree with your comments.
I hope your are right Bob.
FollowupID: 318348

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 18:55

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 18:55
One of things that I really enjoy about four wheel driving or camping is that it does not matter whether you have a cruiser or a patrol, an old tent or an Ultimate camper - out in the bush we are all the same pretty much. I agree with Glenn that it is pretty pathetic to think that because you are a member you are entitled to more consideration or your opinion should be valued more than anyone else. Logically, just because I bought $150 worth of stuff and became a member does not mean that I any better opinions than anyone else.
Andrew

(I must say that I have not noticed it as an issue on the forum)
FollowupID: 318360

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:40

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:40
I thought the "Member" bit in your names meant you were trying to reMEMBER them, I have never felt hit around the head even BEFORE I joined. I must admit it felt good to have the word Member there but in the end I saw it as you say Gajm, a status thing so I doused it. Just one of the ducks here now along with Jemima and the others. Membership doesnt make your opinions more important or informed and we all need to 'member that.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56590

Reply By: rickster - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 22:08

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 22:08
G'day AWWWWWSOM site member or visitor well done!!!!!!!

cheers visitor rick
AnswerID: 56635

Reply By: Member - Bob et Joëlle (NSW) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:20

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:20
The first time we came on this site ( not long ago) we received a very great deal of generous, practical advice. We joined soon after, partly as a mark of appreciation for the fine job this site does. I have noticed (Bob speaking) that a few of the contributors have pet likes and dislikes but for the most part the disagreements seem to iron themselves out without too much trouble. That said, no-one could disagree that membership is not obligatory and lack of membership could make no possible difference to the quality or correctness of somebody's opinion.

:>))))
AnswerID: 56676

Sponsored Links