pig shooting

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 13:07
ThreadID: 12477 Views:7522 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I am doing a trip(third time) through Katherine,Mataranka,Roper Bar,Borroloola,Burketown,Karumba,and Burke Development Rd. to Chillagoe.Can anyone reccomend a station owner on the way who might be willing to give permission to shoot wild pigs as I know they are a big problem on the stations there.I am a licensed firearm owner,done a fair bit of shooting but not really interested in organisede shooting safaris up that way.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:06

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:06
Mate you've got buckleys chance of getting info. Just think about it - would you let thousands of people in on any top shooting spots you may know of. What a great way to destroy something good. It's just like the people who get on here and expect others to tell them where the best secluded camping spots are.
Your best bet would be to check at the local watering holes as you travel around. There's also a publication out which lists properties where you can shoot for a fee - I can't recall the name. Do a search on Google and you should find it. Costs about $30 if I recall correctly.
AnswerID: 56564

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:33

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:33
Sunseeker I recently rang up a number of properties close to where you are going to get information as to weather I could camp on their properties. The first question they asked was "are you a pig shooter" and the second "do you have a dog". If you said yes to either you wouldn't be allowed to camp. One property owner told me of windmills being shot up by pigshooters (who said pigs couldn't fly". I know pigs are a problem but casual shooters are a bigger problem.

I am also a licensed firearm owner but my guns will be staying locked up while I am away.
AnswerID: 56567

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:50

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 14:50
Sorry mate, only shoot video and still photo's here.

Baz.
AnswerID: 56568

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 16:52

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 16:52
Gee Baz , your my green hero .
Willie
FollowupID: 318334

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:15

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:15
Good God another Willie. Changed your logo a
FollowupID: 318338

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 07:53

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 07:53
Gee Willie, it's my view, don't like it don't respond.

Baz.
FollowupID: 318409

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:37

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:37
Bob and Lex ,
I fear it's a new Willie - one who has a problem with pompous , self rightous answers to a genuine question from someone seeking help .
If somebody asks a question about a Toyota , does Baz hop on the Forum and tell him" sorry mate , only talk about Fords here " ?
Willie
FollowupID: 318438

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:34

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:34
Only have one problem, dont like being labeled, and as for my reply, hence the "sorry" dont know about shooting, dont have a problem with people who shoot either, and i was refering to me not the whole forum. If you want to reply, dont reply with a smart arse remark. I think i'm intitled to an opinion without someone making smart arse comments about that opinion, i would not do it to you so i would think i would get the same respect from others.

Baz.
FollowupID: 318471

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:45

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:45
I think we should leave it there Baz . Have a nice weekend .
Willie
FollowupID: 318472

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:51

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:51
I think so to, have a good one too mate.
Baz.
FollowupID: 318473

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:08

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:08
I suppose it was wishfull thinking about getting a positive reply. Moose thanks for your advice as I allready thought the best way would be to present myself "on site".To the anti shooting fraternity I can only say that respnsible shooters do a great service to the enviremont as I am sure you would realise what extensive damage is being done by thes feral animals which by the way are NOT native to Australia.I am sorry if I have stirred up a hornets nest.
AnswerID: 56611

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:48

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:48
Onya bloke .... couldn't agree more.
FollowupID: 318379

Follow Up By: robb - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:23

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:23
I think there are a couple of reasons that property owners are (super) reluctant to allow strangers onto their property with guns... Not least being the safety of their family, equipment and stock, and secondly if they are having a pest problem they will usually attend to it themselves (or get some of their mates to help)... I am sure you are a responsible hunter Sunseeker, but some have destroyed it for most... My parents own and run quite a substantial property north west of Condobolin, and I know what there attitude to hunters coming on and asking permission to shoot is, they are politely shown the front gate... But I would say that your best bet is to meet some of the locals at the watering holes and ask some questions... You never know... Cheers
FollowupID: 318384

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:50

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:50
Sunseeker ,
I did a trip across to the mouth of the Mitchell River from Chillagoe some years ago . I went into the properties and asked for permission to camp and fish . After I got to talk to them a few times and they realized we were not "loonies " they were quite happy to let us bump off any pigs we found .
I think you will fail if you just march up and ask for permission to shoot .
You have to work it in to the equation after you have got to know them a bit .
Willie
FollowupID: 318418

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 12:27

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 12:27
Thanks Willie,
I think my approach would be the same as yours a few years ago as I have got on very well with most "bush people" that I have met on my travells across the top end.Can you get to the actual mouth of the Mitchel R. from the Burke Dev. Rd.?
It seems there is a turnoff to the North about 320kms. from Chillagoethat runs along the Mitchel.I will have a look.
Cheers
Sunseeker
AnswerID: 56703

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:28

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:28
Sunseeker,
You are going to realise how ancient I am when I tell you that the first time I went in there was 30 years ago and in those days it was still called the Mitchell River Mission. We had obtained written permission from the Govt Dept to report to the Mission where we would be taken down the river to a camping spot . In those days the missions were "dry"
and run like a big familly cattle property and the aboriginal people were all very friendly and we all went fishing together . This was sometimes a problem because they loved to spear the barra when we got them near the boat .
The next trip was eight years later and this time the running of the mission had been turned over to the locals . It had been re-named
Kowanyama (can't spell it !) and was really run down and neglected .
We were reluctantly given permission to camp and fish and caught heaps of barra . We were in a 2wd this trip and were bogged for 6 days on the black soil plains on the way out to Chillagoe . On the first trip , we had tried to get there from Normanton , but the police would not let us go as they said the road was horrendous . So , being young and energetic,we drove all the way across to Chillagoe and then WNW back to the Mitchell . The second trip we just used the same path .
I am not sure about how the road from Normanton North is now . It's been a long time and there could be a good road there now .
It's great country up there , especially if you are interested in old mining areas , fishing and shooting . etc.
Have a great trip ,
Willie
FollowupID: 318461

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:31

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:31
Willielooks like you visited the region in the good old days and had a great time.I am a bit of a fossil as well(63) but still in good health so will be continuing to do my bush travels as long as poss.Itravelled the road North of Normanton last Aug. and it is not too bad at all--very dusty and rocky but lovely country.Ishould be there again this Aug.in my trusted troopy with a friend who is tagging along.Ican see the Cowanyama Comm. on the map and Imay go part way in to the river.I plan to leave Perth mid July and be away for about 3 months.Who knows one day we may catch up on the road.
Thanks for all the info.
Sunseeker
AnswerID: 56755

Reply By: sean - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 18:21

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 18:21
Sunseeker

I also like to do a bit of shooting as did my father, his father as so on. I live in Darwin and alot (I mean alot) of people own firearms here and actively use them on either geese of pigs. Most people just know where to go and there are alot of areas around but you have to be very careful not to infringe on those that do not want shootoing on thier stations.

Each year Pine Creek has a pig shooting competition. I will be on during the dry when the pigs are close to available water. I should be a good weekend and you will get local advice on where to go but note that shooting is not permitted on Bonrock station because the brumbies are the property of the station and they are not to be shot. Also, some piggers cut fences and these minority make it hard for all the others.

Sean
AnswerID: 57048

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:14

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:14
Hi Sean
Thanks for your info. and it would be nice to catch up with you for a beer while I am in Darwin as you seem to know the ropesaruond that area as far as shooting goes.I will be up there about late Aug. so if you like send me a contact and we could have a chat.
Thanks again
Sunseeker
AnswerID: 57393

Sponsored Links