kimberleys

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 15:33
ThreadID: 12481 Views:1634 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I'm travelling to the Kimberleys along the Gibb River Rd right through to Kalumburu. I have been advised that my subaru outback will be ok for thr trip but have also seen some conflicting advise. Any comments would be welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 16:16

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 16:16
The road was closed last week CCM. When are you going? There is only one Kimberley - it isn't a mountain range
AnswerID: 56579

Follow Up By: CCM - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:03

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:03
I'm hoping to go as soon as the road opens - need to be there asap- but obviously don't want to get stuck half way along the road. Since I'm going from Melbourne it will take me a while to get over there anyway. I'm fully aware it isn't a mountain range but I've also heard many people, including locals, call it the kimberleys.
FollowupID: 318429

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 08:12

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 08:12
Usage doen't make it right. How does visiting the Mallees or the Wimmeras sound to you?
FollowupID: 318578

Follow Up By: Chris S - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:18

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:18
Pedantry is the domain of the parochial.

Bob you spelt "don't" incorrectly, however you should have used "doesn't". People in glass houses....

Have a good trip CCM.
FollowupID: 320372

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 11:17

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 11:17
Should I try and defend my mistake or learn from it?
FollowupID: 320419

Follow Up By: CCM - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:44

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:44
Thanks Chris. It should be great.

By the way Bob, Kimberleys is actually perfectly acceptable - there is more than one Kimberley - the east Kimberley, the west Kimberley.... That is why even though it is usually pronounced Kimberley, it is often spelt Kimberleys.
FollowupID: 320580

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:49

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:49
I'm going to the Sydneys for the weekend (there's a North Sydney and a South Sydney). I was in the Pilbaras recently, at least I was in the East Pilbara, but as there is also a West Pilbara there are two of them.

I realise it is very commonly called the Kimberleys, but on any map, or in any official reference it is always just the Kimberley. I'm sorry, it just grates when I hear it called the Kimberleys. A bit like chimley for chimney.
FollowupID: 321228

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:07

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:07
do a forum search , heaps of info as Truckster said
AnswerID: 56584

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:01
The problem is that the state of the road changes from season to season, from year to year. The Gibb should be ok provided you are not going at a time of the year when you will have to do serious river crossings, ie after the wet. During the dry season the Gibb should be ok - I've past a daewoo on it (yes it was a hire car)!
I took the kalumbaru last year during the dry and the corrugations were quite bad so i'd make sure your suspension is in good order before heading off. Tyres also need to be good, and prepare for possible punctures if not.
All the best.
Will.

AnswerID: 56618

Reply By: KIM - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 22:34

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 22:34
Hi,
The Gibb River Rd is still closed. Also much of the Gunbarrel and Canning Stock Route at the moment.
Suggest you contact the Shires of Hall Creek and Derby before leaving your home state if you intend to travel in the next couple of weeks.

Regard

Kim
AnswerID: 56640

Reply By: Member - John- Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 00:06

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 00:06
You should be OK so long as you are careful and cautious in the rougher bits. The Pentacost River crossing is rough and rocky and hopefully below the fording depth of your Suby. Some of the bulldust stretches just north of the Kalumburu turnoff will be a bit challenging as you will have to keep up some momentum whilst flying nearly blind.

Note check in advance that you can get the ULP fuel where you need it. If you have a hot turbo engine that runs on premium unleaded, then forget it there is no such fuel in boonies.

Your biggest risk will be the std "P rated" tyres on these cars. Their side walls will be easily shredded on sharp rocks if you have pressures wrong, are overloaded and speeding. You will need two spares for sure (as do all prudent fourby drivers in the Kimberley). You will also have extreme difficulty getting replacement tyres in your size quickly but with luck somone will have stock in Kununurra or Broome.

If you can fit "AT/ LT" rated tyres that would be the smartest thing you could do, even if you put them away in the shed when you get home and save them for your next big trip.

I personally reckon you can easily do the whole GRR and Kalumburu Rd in a 1964 Holden ute during the dry season so long as you have your suspension in top notch condition and the right tyres. You would have trouble in a 2004 ute because of very poor ground clearance.

Another solution is to rent a full size 4WD when you get Kununurra, do a loop through to Kalumbaru and back and then carry on down the GNH in your Suby. Or take an off road bus tour and have nothing to worry about except getting on with all the wild young backbackers on the bus with you!

JohnS
Derby, WA
AnswerID: 56656

Sponsored Links