GQ suspension info

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 18:20
ThreadID: 12484 Views:2759 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking about a 4 -5 " suspension lift on my deisel GQ LWB .I want to combine fun hard trips requiring good articulation(usually lightly packed) with family touring (fitted out with storage system fridge etc).Can anyone advise on a good suspension system.Has anyone experienced loss of fuel economy after raising 4/5 ".
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 18:45

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 18:45
4-5" is a pretty big lift IMHO. And it would effect your fuel consumption esepcially when cruising. My Surf is running at stock height and does not bottom out to badly even in quite rutty rocky terrain, and it has a terrible departure angle compared to your GQ, my back wheels are almost under the back seats!!. The only problem I had with clearance was squashing the exaust pipe against the tow bar, but instead of lifting my 4wd and comprimising fuel economy, saftey of my family and the fact that it wouldn't go into the garage at home or and underground carparks around town, I angle grided the end of the exaust pipe, no problems now! :-)
Sure lift it, it will help you out in rocky terrain, but I would consider a lesser lift maybe 2" or 3" at most. JMHO though!!!
Perhaps just putting some good shocks and springs on it will help you out, it made the world of difference to the Surf and I only upgraded the back end!
AnswerID: 56602

Reply By: IXP10R - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:12

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:12
Grechy

My 88 GQ petrol runs a 3 inch extra heavy duty Old Man Emu kit with steel bar steel rear step/towbar long ranger draws fridge etc etc etc. The articulation on the patrols is excellent in the rear with manual swaybar disconnects. Unless your planning on serious rock hopping and enjoy high repair bills i would give the 4 to 5 inch lift a miss in my experience it alters the centre of gravity of the vehicle to a degree that general four wheel driving becomes dangerous. most of the kits are softly sprung to retain articulation and make corning on roads very scary.
I am assuming the car is original and like many other stock patrols once family is in and camping gear etc the back sags and makes life dificult. My advice would be depending on the weight of loaded vehicle go for a 3 inch lift by reputable company ($1000) set of 32 or 33 inch tyres for extra clearance ($1200) remove front swaybar for extra articulation and providing the lsd is okay you will gain a patrol that will take you and your family over most things put in its path

Hope the info helps good luck
AnswerID: 56621

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 22:43

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 22:43
Ive got a 5inch lift on mine. I run 34 Simex's on weekends, its good. Could easily go with some Q78 swampers if the budget allowed...

But 33's look stupid on it.

If your in QLd forget it you wont get it engineered.

You should first check with authorities in your state, EG a accredited Engineer to see what he wants done to the car to get it thru rego.

Also speak to insurance company, they wilbleepcan you 99.8% of the time if you go over a 50mm lift. Not joking. Took me 2 weeks on the phone straight to get insurance at all for mine.

One thing, if your touring, getting to the fridge SUCKS, specially if wife isnt 7foot high.

I went with the www.bigballsoffroad.com kit from Liam, had it fitted at Total4wd Center in Epping. Rod McCormack is a competitor in tuff truck etc, and knows his kit.

I have Rancho shocks(wouldnt do it again - would look at OME Long travel shocks with remote resivour), and Dobinson springs, White line panhard rods, and custom extended brake lines. I went for caster bushes over plates as they have to be welded on.

It DOES effect yoru economy LOTS.. and if you go with bigger tires, EG 33/35's it will shag your econ to petrol levels. unless you do diff ratios at $1000 per diff genuine, or 1/2 that for accessory ones, but they only last about 30,000klms on average. Good for comps where you only do few 1000 a yr...

Think long and hard about if you really need it.

www.gqpatrol.com

YMMV
AnswerID: 56642

Follow Up By: Grechy - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 08:42

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 08:42
Truckster thanks again for your reply .Would be interested in talking/meeting you to pick your brains a bit more and actually see up close a lifted GQ, only If you're interested (will fully understand if you're not).if you are my contact work ph is 03 93063989 Paul is my name ,Ianswer 99% of calls .Cheers Grechy
FollowupID: 318579

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 23:52

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 23:52
Hey mr.. sorry didnt get the reply till about 2 mins ago from my Hotmail account.

Appears as though theres still issues with the sending of reports that someone has replied to a mail.

www.gqpatrol.com fewbleepty pics of my car (lost an 80gig HD with all the good ones and the site on it :( )

Any questions you have, try the GQ list.. Some VERY knowledgeable people there.

FollowupID: 318669

Reply By: Grechy - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 07:40

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 07:40
Thanks to all for your input.Will take it on board.
AnswerID: 56669

Reply By: Trol - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:19

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:19
Hi Grechy,

All depends on what you want to do. I run a 4 inch dobinson kit with the adjustable panhard rods and eliptical bushes, wouldn't get the eliptical bushes again as they are only good for a couple years at most with regular offroad use. The centre of gravity is affected and fuel economy does drop as 31's look dicky on 4inch lifts. It's like driving a big heavy brick into the wind. 33's fit comfortably under a 4 inch lift and does look good. Of course, along with the big lift, and bigger tyres comes a loss of power and the need for turbo/supercharge etc etc. Several thousand later...

4inch also does not look too high and I have not (touch wood) had QLD transport pull me up even though I have passed several on-the-spot inspection sites. Think about your future needs (winch, towing extra accessories) and then choose a kit that suits you from there.

Have fun bro.

Cheers

Trol.
AnswerID: 56714

Sponsored Links