1990 3.0 GQ Patrol Clutch Lever Problem :o(

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 19:02
ThreadID: 12486 Views:2670 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My clutch lever popped out of place and so my slave cylinder got screwed (piston rotated 45 degrees and scatched itself to death). Anyways the cylinder is replaced and fine but refitting my lever without demounting the clutch housing seems to be a problem. Took away the rubber boot around the lever and had a look inside (as much as one can, lying under 2 tons of steel peeking through a tiny hole on the side of the housing. Everything seems to be ok but when I put the lever back in place it doesnt move a bit. I thought that the clutch is just too hard to move by hand and tried to move it with the slave cylinder as it should be but it doesnt move a bit either. I can feel the pressure when pushing the clutch pedal but the lever doesnt go. Any ideas how to make sure it is in place? My understanding is the following lining up in the clutch housing:
1. flywheel, 2. driven plate, 3. pressure plate, 4. bearing & hub and then 5. the lever fork end which should press the hub/bearing against the pressure plate.
Apart from that....is there any clip or other part keeping the lever in place? I checked 2 repair manuals for my Patrol but neither show anything that actually keeps the leve where it is apart from being under pressure maybe.

Any help would be great because I dont want to spend $100's to get just the lever put in place...who constructs these clutch housings anyways *ufff*

reisender
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 19:36

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 19:36
gday.
i know exacly what your thinking i had the same thing happen to mine.
there quite a simple job to fix and a new slave cylinder is only about $60.
the fork its self has 2 locating bits one on each end that you have to manuver into place behind some little tabs.and then make sure it ligns up with the thrust bearing.
when in position theres no way you can operate the clutch by hand so dont panick
the other bit you have to lign up is the fork on the end of the ball bit that the fork pivots on.make sure this ball hasnt broken its pretty common they are only about $20 from nissan but an absalute pain in the perverbial to fit.
if your slave cylinder was damaged it might not be pushing in enough.
make sure you bleed your new cylinder well or you will only get half a pedal.
undo and throw away your old one fit new one and remove the bleeder nipple let all the old fluid drain out refill with new fluid and let the drip out as well .refill with only the slave cylinder open untill you get a good flow then close
go up to master cylinder.get some one to slowly push the clutch pedal annd hold down while you crack the top bleeder let the air out and close you might have to do this a few times untill you get a good pedal.once thats done close bleeder tight and go back to slave cylinder and bleed it just to be sure.
AnswerID: 56608

Follow Up By: reisender - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:02

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:02
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for the description. I already replaced the slave cylinder and bled the system so there is enough pressure (at least I think so). Your alignment description is very helpfull but I have the problem of barely seeing anything down there so I'll have to do a lot of try and error. It still helps to know how it should line up at the end. Looks like another afternoon of crawling and sweating :o) I hope it wont rain again tomorrow.

Thanks!!!
reisender
FollowupID: 318373

Follow Up By: Mrs Diamond - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:15

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 20:15
i pulled the boot off and used a 500 watt light lol.
pull the lever right out of the way it moves heaps and get the best light you have and have a look where the end of the lever goes just makes it easier if you have a rough idea.
i spent ages and ages then it all just fell to place.
FollowupID: 318375

Follow Up By: reisender - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:29

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:29
Hi Diamond,

Got it fixed today...after hours yesterday it just popped inplace today after only half an hour trying :o)

Reisender
FollowupID: 318551

Follow Up By: reisender - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 13:35

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 13:35
I am in trouble again...the lever slipped out again and now it is stuck. I can move it forewards and backwards but i cant move it in and out so i have no chance to rearrange it to the right position. Any idea how to get it lose without 'breaking' anything?

Reisender
FollowupID: 318701

Follow Up By: Mrs Diamond - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 15:56

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 15:56
gday again.
just wigling it around with out forcing it should make it loose when you feel your not getting it walk of for 5 mins lol.
are you sure the little pivot bolt isnt snapped.
once its in posotion it really cant come out .
also where it goes over the pivot ball the is a clip thinky on the fork that should hold it to the ball and stop it falling off
FollowupID: 318707

Sponsored Links