Kimberley trip.all welcome..

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 00:13
ThreadID: 12496 Views:2186 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello People...I was hoping to do the Gibb River Rd from Derby through to Kununurra between mid May and late June or earlly July...Problem i have is i'll be on my own ...poor me...lol...I was wondering if anyone else is planning to do the same during that period...I was hoping i could drag along for the trip in my own 4wd...I've not done it before and a little unsure what to expect so hence the reason for asking...I' hopefully would not be a burden as i have all the camping gear i require i feel and im very self sufficent...I think doing that run with a few people would be alot more enjoyable than on my own...I think that would be a certain...

If not the gibb river then perhaps someone might be doing the tanami trek during that period .This also is another trip i would like to do with a few people...Most of my friends cant get the time off this year and i still want to do either one if possible...

Well not alot more i can say ...so if your heading in that direction and dont mind me tagging along i really would appreciate the company...

Looking forward to your comments...

cheers Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Arkay - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:06

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:06
Phil
Heather & I are leaving Adelaide tomorrow Saturday 01/05/04 for Dunmarra / Gregory NP / Argyle / Gibb RR to Witjira & Tunnell Crre & back to Alice Springs via Tanami track. Towing off road CT. If you can get back to me on this forum by 3 pm Adelaide time with some means of contact TODAY so I can call you we may be able to manage something. If not it will be too late & we may see you on the road, dark blue Jackaroo with Exploroz stickers. We have Telstra CDMA. You have no real problems with what you propose. Just watch the fuel situation on the Tnami Track/Road, specxially of you are travelling on a day when Rabbot Flat is closed.
AnswerID: 56675

Follow Up By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:57

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:57
Hello peeps...Sounds great mate....when would you be in Kununurra mate so i could meet you there....might be a little soon though...depends on the time of arrival...

Regards Phil
FollowupID: 318495

Reply By: Thierry - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:59

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:59
Phil,
We are leaving Melbourne on the 10/05 going trough the Rock, Boggy whole, Alice Spring then on the Tanami to Kununura, the GRR up to Kulumburu ..Just for the fishing.....then Broome. Planning to spend around 5 weeks just in the Kimberley.
We travelling in a FJ 40 so no speed record. We also have a blue canoe on the roof ( Just in case we meet some where). You are more then welcome to join us. Let us know what you think.
Good luck to you and all the travellers
AnswerID: 56682

Follow Up By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:01

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:01
Hello Thierry...Gee this also sounds teriffic...Probaly your dates seem a little closer to what i had planned ...do you have and idea when you would be in Kununurra buddy...Never been to Kulumburu either so that sounds good, only if you don't mind me hanging around a bit lol...he he ...Sounds really good...

looking forward to your reply...

cheers Phil
FollowupID: 318496

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 00:14

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 00:14
if you have all the gear I wouldn't be too concerned with tackling this trek on your own anyway. You'll run into a lot of familiar faces/vehicles at different sites anyway as they move on at about the same rate as you do.

GRR has become a bit of an urban myth with people making it out to be somewhat harder than it actually is just as a way of being noticed I guess. Having said that anything can happen which is why you need to
a) research (nowhere better than this site)
b) be prepared
c) drive carefully

If you want info then send me a message and I'll send you what I have.
AnswerID: 56802

Follow Up By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 00:47

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 00:47
Hello Coops...You say Pilbara is that Karratha as i spend a lot of time up that way...Mate any info you have would be really appreciated...Thanks for your imput and yes your right there would be and will be alot of peeps up there this time of year...I think it still would be nice going through there in a group or with a few friends...

Thanks Buddy..

Regards Phil
FollowupID: 318563

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 01:02

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 01:02
wasn't meaning to give the impression that I thought any less of them, just that it's not that hard.
I've shared it (GRR) with friends once and family a second time but will be solo the next time that we tackle it.

Don't miss Kalumburu !
FollowupID: 318564

Reply By: Thierry - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:16

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:16
Phil,
Sandie and I will be there around the end of May early June, we have a HF call sign V8502 you can leave us a message when you reach Kununurra.
Safe travel
Thierry
AnswerID: 56845

Follow Up By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:56

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:56
Thanks Theirry...Mate, if i know when you will be in Kununurra within a day or 2 ill be there...I have had a few offers and im so pleased people care...And i really appreciate the thought...ill way up when i'll be there and work out whats the best plan of action to take....thanks Buddy...

Cant wait to get into it...

Regards Phil
FollowupID: 318622

Reply By: KIM - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:55

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:55
Hi Phil,
I'm leaving Alice Springs on 1st June 2006 and will travel up the Tanami. I have meetings with the Mulan and Billiluna communities on the way and expect to be in Halls Creek on 3rd June 2006.
I'm a member of the 2006 Canning Stock Route Re-enactment Management Committee and will be involve in a presentation to the Kimberley community on 4th June and a Stockmens Committee on the 5th June.
After that I'm travelling up the Gibb River road solo for a well earned rest (I may have to visit a couple of cattle stations on the way up).
If your interested, contact me on the following numbers:

Home (03) 97821701
Work (03) 97055467

Regards
Kim

AnswerID: 56863

Sponsored Links