Patrol Transfer case ratios

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 00:14
ThreadID: 12497 Views:2276 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have a Patrol 3.0 turbo diesel manual with transfer case ratio 2.02:1. I have 33 inch tyres, larger than normal so my low range is a little high for my liking....
I have read all the info on Rockhopper and Marks Adaptor transfer case ratios and find these too low for anything but competition (3.65 and 3.7 to 1). I would like a transfer case ratio of around 2.7 or 2.8 to 1.
Has anyone any advice on this or better still some sources of info?
Regards.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:11

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:11
You could change your diff ratios. You probably have 4.1's standard, you could go to 4.3's that would bring it back to standard gearing. or go to 4.6's and that would undergear it for the road, but you could run 35's happily :)

Other option is Dual Transfer cases. They are available from Marks adapters too. $1000+.

That or rockhoppers/marks ratios are your only options...

Unless you go for custom made, but you dont want to know how much, and theres a minimum # you have to order.
AnswerID: 56662

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:07

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:07
Yes, a common problem with a patrol, the " medium" range transfer case,a nd bigger tyres.

If you add rockhoppers or marks gears, you will find you will just use 3rd 4th 5th gear in low more than the others, and you should drive one witht hem fitted, as Im sure you will find them a big improvement, and not as "slow" as you think in low range.
AnswerID: 56671

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:38

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:38
I agree with you mate. The Patrol's low range is a bit too high for my liking. I would love to have a situation where 5th Low is about the equivalent of 1st High....that would effectively give me 10 REAL gear options instead of the current 6 or 7.
When I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear LOW, it feels not much different when taking off, to being in 1st HIGH.
However, it would also be necessary to change from LOW back up to HIGH on more occasions. This is because I often find myself in 5th gear LOW range (eg: after having gone through a knarly bit of track & then onto a better section; but knowing there's another real knarly bit a klick or 2 away). With the Rockhoppers, I'd probably have to go back to HIGH range in between the 2 knarly bits???
Dual Transfer cases would be great, but I don't think they do them for Patrols yet (only HiLux as far as I know???)
FollowupID: 318439

Sponsored Links