Private imported Toyota Hiace Granvia 3.0 TD

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:24
ThreadID: 12509 Views:4430 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I am looking at a privately imported Toyota Hiace Granvia 1998, 3.0 Turbo Diesel ( 1KZ-TE), auto, full time 4WD, ABS,Air Bags,electric Sunroof, windows... for A$30,000. This van also comes with a hell of fancy accessory including DVD player and wooden grain panel. I know I will have some degree of difficulty getting parts and insurance( Justcar quoted $710 with $400+$500 excess for Turbo diesel). I am just wondering if anyone has any experience on this model? and how good is this 1KZ-TE engine? By the way, our normal travel pattern is just to touring around city and some easy long trips, we are not serious rock crawling or mud driving fans.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:37

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:37
The 1KZ-TE motor is very good, you'll find them in Hilux 3.0td from 1999 on, they are the same motor as what is in the prado (the prado has an untercooler in it though) and the same as my Surf. I am unsure as to the running gear, but being full time 4wd I can only imagine it would be at least similar to the prado.
Just make sure your cooling system is in good working order. (it will need to be just about at 100% efficiancy) otherwise you might find it getting hot in summer. Don't let it get hot. It if is, get it fixed, as it will be a sure way to a cracked head if you keep letting the temp guage needle run away.
AnswerID: 56715

Follow Up By: chenj3 - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:44

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:44
Thank you Jeff,

How can I test if I can keep the engine cool before I buy it. I am prepared to send it to RACQ for a thorough check out and even a compression test at Australia Diesel. I never own turbo diesel before and have no idea how to keep it cool.
BTW, How I can I find the running gear/ the seller say it is 4Runner gear and the model number is: KD-KCH16W
FollowupID: 318464

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:52

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:52
I doubt it is the 4runner running gear (that's what I've got on the surf) as in the surf 1995 was the last year they used it, then they switched over to the full-time 4wd system now in use on the prado. Mine was one of the last surf to have the part-time system. RAC or similar is a must, these motors (like any modern TD) will cost you $4k plus just for a second hand one, so make sure you get it right! ;-)
Cooling system must have genuine toyota coolant, and must not have any corrosion around the joins. Compression test, brilliant, you don't need any help! Your already a smart cookie, do it. Unfortunatally there are not many ways you can really test a cooling system other than getting it hot! Mine was 15% blocked when I bought it and it would get hot on 35c days while going up steep hills or in deep sand. Cost me $210 to have the thing recored. Might be worth just doing that anyway when you pick it up. Then you will at least have peice of mind. When they take the radiator out, get thing to whak to tubes of the silicone into the clutch fan as well. Also checkout the condition of the top and bottom radiator tanks as they tend to get pin hole leaks in them and need replacing (that was the other thing I had done and was included in the above price). Just look at the top of the radiator and see if there are any red or green little spots, that'll be dried coolant that has seeped out when the pressure was high and the engine was hot. These will make the system loose pressure right when it really needs it and should be replaced.
FollowupID: 318467

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:44

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:44
Haven't heard of those before.

The Yota version of the Bishi Delica I guess.

The Motor is the least of your problems (provided it serviced correctly), good strong reliable motor , still in use , and been around for a while.

Justcar would be the best for insurance probably, not many of the mainstream players will touch them.

Running gear would probably be from either a Prado or Hilux , so most things shouldn't be a problem. You will probably find though , somethings are unique to it.

Panels would probably be the hardest parts to source , along with the extras should they break down. Nothing local matches.
AnswerID: 56717

Follow Up By: chenj3 - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:51

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 14:51
Thanks Flappan,
I totally agreed with your opinion that the panels will be the most difficult part to work around. maybe i can get the panels from New Zealand as saw some New Zealand car yards are selling them.
BTW, I love the toyo quality and it's comfy space, we load all of our gear for long trip without any hassles.

FollowupID: 318466

Follow Up By: flappan - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:14

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:14
If its a DIY fix then yeah , getting them from NZ would be the go (I believe thats what the Delica guys do). If its a Insurance Job though , expect LONG wait. They will only use genuine parts , imported from Japan , and however long it takes to get here.

I understand a Delica guy had to wait 6 weeks ?
FollowupID: 318470

Reply By: chenj3 - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:02

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 15:02
I just found the mechanical specifications for above model

http://www.auto.vl.ru/catalog_eng/3803/
AnswerID: 56718

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:25

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:25
I'd guess the auto is the very common A343F.

Downsides I see are only 180mm clearance; small 215/70R15 tyres; 2140kg weight;

Fuel tank is only 75 litres - at say 13-14l/100k, you'd be scratching to go 500km.

I've seen RV Turbo-diesel Prados go for the same money, but understand that you like the van's very roomy body.
FollowupID: 318530

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:35

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:35
For $30k you could get a good 80 series or other locally imported car that will have no issues with parts, cheaper insurance, ABILITY to actually GET some accessories to fit it, and also have better resale value.

YMMV
AnswerID: 56793

Sponsored Links