New Searching options

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:23
ThreadID: 12516 Views:1451 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all again,

Well after some feedback recently I have installed a few new search the forum options.

1. You will now see the Topic and Body checkboxes under the keywords entry box. These will allow you to refine the search to the topic or body or both. This should be self explanitary.

2. There is now a search box in the ask a questions page. This will hopefully ensure that people run a search before starting a new thread on an old topic. Remember you cannot interact with Archived posts (all posts are archived after one month) so if you do find a similar archived thread but need to ask additional questions please start a new thread.

3. I have added a basic ability to search for specific expressions. That is a search for say Engel Fridge Stolen (will match all posts with any of the words in them), Now you can say Engel+Fridge+Stolen and the system will only find posts with these written as "Engel Fridge Stolen". So in a nutshell a space character means any words and a + character means word+word exactly.

Hope this is helpful - Please let me know if you find any errors with this.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:30

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:30
Oh and I forgot one other - If you are in Active and you run a search it will only search active. If Archive then archive etc. You can change this once the query has returned some results as the system will remember the query.

There are a few little quirks that I will work on shortly. This is where it is currently upto anyway.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56743

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:13

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:13
David, just tried it and have to say that is very cool indeed.

Is there any way to print out certain replies rather than just cutting and pasting?, I find the member message option of being able to email replies to yourself very handy for keeping certain info, and printing it out, any chance of the same type of oprion for the forum?

Hows Chardae and Michelle going?
AnswerID: 56751

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:01

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:01
David,

Well done mate. It works a treat.

I found that the way to search now is to first search with just "Topic" selected (the default). You may get a few hits that are directly related to what you want, especially the popular topics and keywords.

Then you can tick the "Body" box as well and hit Search again. This gives you more hits.

Then you click on the "Both" link at the bottom of the search box and hit Search again and you get all the hits going way back.

Keep the improvements coming but just don't make it tooooo complex!

Steven
AnswerID: 56785

Sponsored Links