Bonnet Hinge rattles

Submitted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 11:57
ThreadID: 12543 Views:1694 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, My GQ has very loud bonnet hinge cluncks (rattles) I find that if i place some rags between the hinge arm and allow it to be pushed in when bonnet comes down, it stops the rattles for a while, but eventually i have to remove the rag and re fold it to refit it again.
Is there a cure for this annoying rattle? or is my GQ a one off problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 12:27

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 12:27
check that the front of the bonnet is sitting snug on the front rubber bushes which are adustable. col
AnswerID: 56910

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 12:43

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 12:43
Thanks Colin,
Yes they are sitting right. Thanks for ur suggestion though. Cheers
FollowupID: 318694

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 22:48

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 22:48
Hey Cokeaddict,
With the bonnett raised, have you tried "lifting" it the rear near the hinges. From memory, the actual pivot point of the bracket is not readily visible. It could be that the pin in the pivot is worn and needs replacing. Just a thought anyway.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 56967

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:56

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:56
Hi Roachie,
Thanks for the suggestion mate, If you asked me if i have raised the bonnet from the back plate, the answer is NO. The bonnet is sitting as it was meant to be. Also are the pins easily accessable without removing half the front body panels? if so, can these pins be purchased through nissan?
Cheers Angelo
FollowupID: 318740

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 09:52

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 09:52
Angelo,
Sorry, I don't think I explained myself properly.....I was wondering if, when you have the bonnet lifted up (as you would to do any work under there), have you tried grabbing the bonnet at the side, near the hinge and seeing if there is any "play" in the hinge/s?
I've never taken a bonnet off, but would imagine the 2 pins are only accessible by removing the side mudguard/s. I'm sure Mr Nissan will sell you new pins for several hundred dollars!!!!LOL
Cheers
FollowupID: 318751

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 12:16

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 12:16
Ok thanks for the reply Roachie,
I havent done that as yet but now that you suggested it I will as soon as i get some free time or the missus starts nagging again, either way it wont be long ok !

As for Nissan's prices well i wont be worried too much mate, if its just a straight forward pin, I'll get the shop to make up some stainless steel ones for me

Might just get her muddy before iremove guards and stuff though, that way i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Thanks again mate
Regards Angelo
FollowupID: 318763

Reply By: Gerry - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 13:54

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 13:54
Hi cokeaddict, Had the same thing about 2 years ago. First time I pulled the hinge out and replaced the pin and made sure all was nice and tight - this lasted about 6 months and it started rattling again. All I did after that is lift the bonnet, stuck a BIG screwdriver between the two halves of the hinge and bent the whole thing slightly sideways (not much, just a few mill's will do). It's been good ever since. I think all it needed was a bit of sideways pressure at the hinge pivot point in the shut position.
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 57014

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 15:07

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 15:07
So thell me Gerry, what exactly did you have to remove to get to the hinges?
I'm asking so i can work out how long the job will take.
Thanks for your advise mate
cheers angelo
FollowupID: 318779

Follow Up By: Gerry - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 16:17

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 16:17
The hardest bit is getting a socket or spanner into the recess where the hinge is attached to the car (not much room). Just make sure you either support the bonnet somehow before removing any bolts, or perhaps take the bonnet off altogether so the remaining bolts are a bit more accessible. But honestly mate, I really don't reckon it's worth it - a slight sideways pressure on the hinge, just enough to put an ever so slight bend in it so that there is some pressure on the hinge pin when closed is all it needs to stop the rattle.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 318782

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 17:37

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 17:37
Yep id agree with you about hardly worth it, but sometimes when carrying passengers its very annoying to hear such a loud crack after they compliment me on how good the condition of the car is in. But im wondering if you had to remove the metal plate above the bonnet where the wiper arms are.

Another thing please Gerry when you say to bend the tips just a tad, do you mean bend them so both bends are facing inwards towards the swing hing? im assuming thats what u meant so they can be used as a guide and actually touch the hinge when closed.
FollowupID: 318788

Follow Up By: Gerry - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:16

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:16
Sorry I took so long to reply but haven't been on the forum for a few days... when I say "hardly worth it" I meant it was hardly worth pulling the whole thing out and reworking the mechanism as I did that and it didn't fix it for long. No, I didn't have to take out the grille near the wipers. If you can imagine the hinge in the closed position, it would look something like a closed pair of scissors, by giving the whole mechanism a slight bend or twist (as I say, doesn't need much) so that there is a small amount of pressure at the hinge pin, then the rattle stops. I just put a large screwdriver between the two halves of the hinge with bonnet open, pushed slightly sideways and that's all it needed. You don't need to bend the hinge so it touches the sides or anything as all it needs is enough twist to put a bit of pressure on the hinge pin itself. Hope that explains a bit better - good luck
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 319020

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:01

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:01
Thanks Gerry,
Yes its crystal clear now thanks for that mate.
Ill fiddle with it some time soon.Thanks again mate

Angelo
FollowupID: 319037

Sponsored Links