....fuel consumption?

Submitted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 12:55
ThreadID: 12546 Views:1959 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, Being a relative new comer to owning a GQ Patrol, I have a few questions about expected fuel consumption. Yeah,! I know that they are fairly greedy when it comes to drinking fuel but is there any easy way to improve the situation.
For example I was thinking of replacing the points with the 'Ignitor' electronic igniton(if I can still get it) or/and getting a set of extractors. Anything to improve the consumption, already I've discarded the gas and have noticed a slight improvement, any further suggestions would be appreciated
MightyQ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PerthGQ - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 13:36

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 13:36
MightyQ,
My thought is that it's relative to the engine size and what you're currently getting as against what you would like to achieve. I have a '96 4.2EFI LWB auto and get 17L/100km around town, and around 14-15L/100km on a country run, sometimes a little better. I dont think about economy when in the soft stuff etc. I'm reasonably happy with the economy but considering putting extractors on along with a K&N air filter as these appear to be the two changes that will give the biggest changes (I hope!). At the end of the day it's the money you spend against the period it will take to recoup it in saved fuel, unless you're spending to buy more power.
Keith
AnswerID: 56911

Follow Up By: Member - MightyQ - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 14:43

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 14:43
G'day Keith, Thanks, my GQ is a little older(1991),I'm not really looking for drastic results and now the gas is gone I'm pretty happy. Yeah I agree that a reusable air is the way to go, I'm considering Uni-filter, along with extractors there may be some improvement.
I'm certainly not looking for more power, my wife and I are going travelling for 3 months and I just thought any improvement would be justified.
MightyQ
FollowupID: 318704

Follow Up By: uppy - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:01

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:01
Perth gq. i get about the same as you ,Im thinking about doing the same as you,in the long term, Keep in touch
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 318892

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 15:35

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 15:35
You can search the archives, there was a thread I started with about 20 replys from GQ owners on fuel economy.

20-25l/100klms in a TB42 Non EFI GQ is common.
Diesel TD42 you can get 14/100klms

You have disgarded the gas and your fuel econ has improved?
AnswerID: 56930

Follow Up By: Member - MightyQ - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:30

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:30
G'day Truckster, You sound surprised, getting rid of gas improved my fuel economy!! well yes it has, you can't understand the (un)tuning capabilities of having both gas and unleaded fuel. Although I'm not saying that I can ever get the same as a DieselTD42.
MightyQ
FollowupID: 318738

Reply By: Paul1 - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 22:26

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 22:26
MightyQ
I have been through the same issue recently. We are planning a major trip next year taking a few months and covering lots of ks, but when I did a petrol costing against costs of selling and buying a diesel or looking for ways of squeezing a few extra ks per litre I realized it wasn't worth the effort. In the end it was an extra $300 for fuel. It wasn't worth the change over to another vehicle. Transfer costs alone are equal to that. Extractors are a couple of hundred dollars fitted. Hiclone, well I won't go there. Its been done before and costs $180. I have fitted a K&N filter and found a significant improvement in torque, but not in fuel savings.

Estimate your annual ks. Calculate your fuel bill. What realistic fuel consumption do you think you could get and compare the possible savings against expenditure in achieving it. There are a lot of threads about the quality of fuel from different suppliers. You can improve your consumption by choosing your supplier. Discount petrol vs Shell Optimax etc.

If you find the secret to better consumption be sure to post it here for all to read.

Take care
Paul
AnswerID: 56961

Reply By: Rossco100series - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 22:36

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 22:36
Extractors and a good exhaust, K&N filter or a Uni filter, electronic ignition will all help but depends on how far you want 2 go. Like taking off the engine fan and going to a thermo fan ( electric ) and now you can also get electric water pumps ( Davies Graig ) and making the mechanical pump non functional and even full synthetic oil ( Mobil 1 or Shell Helix Ultra ). And a Hiclone well um yeh didnt work for me but I do know of a couple people that it did work for, so try it if it makes a difference great if not get your money back.

Have fun
AnswerID: 56964

Follow Up By: Member - MightyQ - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:36

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 23:36
G'day Rossco, Thanks man, yeah I hear you, I'm not going all the way with this, I was just after the sort of advice you've all offered.
I'm happy now you've reinforced my intentions. Thanks
MightyQ
FollowupID: 318739

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 00:03

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 00:03
thermo fans can restrict your air flow especially when coupled with spotlights but would be fine in traffic I reckon.
I like the Davies Craig EWP and am looking into that at present. Busted my shroud and Toyota want $360 for a replacement (plastic) so I may as well spend the little bit extra and get the EWP. Mind you there's nothing I can fault with Toyota's cooling system as I've been running around for 6 months now without a shroud including a Pilbara summer & desert trip and it hasn't skipped a beat at all.
FollowupID: 318741

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 12:35

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 12:35
"I like the Davies Craig EWP and am looking into that at present"

Only problem is they are only splashproof, not waterproof, and will probably fail after a few moderate river crossings. Stuck in the middle of nowhere without a water pump doesn't appeal to me.......
FollowupID: 318766

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:03

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:03
I understand what you're saying GaryInOz (Vic) but the Electric Water Pump comes highly recommended for boats by John Craig and in that application they are actually supposed to sit below the waterline.

That aside there's not much water where I live and an awful lot of sunshine and the application obviously differs from your conditions.

However, like you, I still have reservations and have a heap more homework to do before I'm totally convinced. If you add the intelligent controller it becomes a very expensive sytem also.

cheers
FollowupID: 319032

Sponsored Links