Suspension

Submitted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 13:45
ThreadID: 12547 Views:1789 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hello, i am about to put a 5 inch lift on my patrol gu.
i am trying to decide what shocks to put in eather Ralph Adjustables or Ranco Adjustables, what do you think are the better shocks, the ralphs look biger, stronger and more heavie duty but are they?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 14:28

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 14:28
A 5 " suspention is very odd . Most springs are 2/ 4 or 6" , to get 5 " they need to be custom made . If you are going to load up the vehicle I suggest 4" HD's . They are 20 mm higher and will give you a true 4 " lift . Rancos are good shocks for lighter vehicles eg. Jeeps ect , they are very soft for hevier cars eg, Cruisers & Patrols , I would use a foam cell in a Pedder or Koni . this will stop the body roll .
Castor plates are a must with such a high lift , also required are longer brake lines , your sway bars will also need to be modified to stop the front from hiting the tail shaft . Longer diff breathers also need to be fitted .

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 56917

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 15:32

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 15:32
Also think, if you really need it, you will find insurance VERY hard to come by with a large lift, and will also need an Engineers certificate for the lift, or your car is unroadworthy - no insurance...

Ranchos are crap. Mine have been replaced 3 times now under warranty(at least somethin' works). Then the incab kit compressor blew up (if you have a good look at one apart, they are really cheap made), no parts available, but you can buy a new compressor - oh, no you have to buy a WHOLE NEW KIT $400...

So threw the incab kit in the bin, and if these ranchos die, or should I say when, I'll go with either Konis, which are THE best on the market as Eric stated, or the new Old Man Emu Long Travel with remote resivour. Mate has been using them for about 6 mths, and drives hard in his GQ out Toolangi etc and havent had 1 problem with them.

Adjustable is good, one setting is marshmallow, and the opposite end of scale is rock hard, but isnt needed for the average punter.

Other things you will need are adjustable panhard rods to recenter your wheels, and most other things eric stated.. brake lines etc.

www.bigballsoffroad.com for some really TOP kits, thats what I have in mine, the 6inch kit thru Liam in Sydney.

AnswerID: 56928

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 16:18

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 16:18
Hi Brent ,I have a GU coilcab with Konis and a 50mm lift with king coils I find it works great for this type of 4x4 , I havent noticed any extra body roll or stearing problems .
AnswerID: 56933

Reply By: jasep - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 16:33

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 16:33
i put a five inch kit on my 2002 gu coil cab.i used king springs,rancho shocks,mannell castor plates & extended swaybar disconnects,4way spring over steering damper.im now onto my second set of ranchos after blowing out 2. i agree with previous comments and i will also switch to konis when i blow another set.i dont think personally the tough dogs have been around long enough to prove themselves.if you want any more info on fitting etc email me jpalmowski@dodo.com.au
AnswerID: 56934

Reply By: Member - Kim (mr) - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 16:55

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 16:55
G'day brent, I've got a 2" suspension lift on my gu and I've got the Old Man Emu LTR's and they are the bee's knees, we went up to Falls Creek with the patrol fully packed and about 150kg on the roof (inc.the racks) and it had less body roll than a go kart. I can't talk them up enogh they are sensational. I know that the Old Man Emu's are not in your two choices above but thought I would give my two cents worth anyway. Good luck with what ever you choose.
AnswerID: 56938

Reply By: Brent.n - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 17:41

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 17:41
thaks for the advice everyone
AnswerID: 56944

Sponsored Links