Kimberlies Trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1256 Views:2571 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading to the Kimberlies from SA in mid July via Alice, Tanami track, Fitsroy Crossing, and on to Broome. After that along the Gibb River Rd, up to Kulumbaru, then through El Questro, Bungles and back via Katherine & the blacktop. I would be interested to hear do's and don'ts from anyone who has done this trip recently, particularly about fuel supplies, camp restrictions, water crossings etc. We have a well equiped 80 series Land Cuiser, enjoy camping, and have travelled remote regions to some extent.. (Simpson, Old Ghan, Innaminka etc.) Also looking forward to the fishing. We are not towing a trailer, and have about 6 1/2 weeks to complete the trip. Have read all the ExplorOz gear. One specific question.. do people think a RFDS radio is necessary, we have a UHF?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gordon - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
Kevin, my wife and i are doing a similar trip departing this Friday 7 June from Brisbane and returning on 3 July. See trip details posted on this forum recently. If you get an HF radio I would recommend joining VKS 737. You can search the Q&A forum for reasons why you should. We like the regular road and weather reports and the ability to contact other members that might be in your immediate vicinity to exchange information about local conditions. They are also invaluable in an emergency. If you get one my callsign is Q3398 and I will be listening in to the Perth Base schedule on 8022 every evening. I also have UHF so will also be scanning the frequencies from time to time. Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 4010

Follow Up By: Kevin - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your advice Gordon. Have a great trip & thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 1710

Reply By: Peter - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
Kevin you need to do a lot more checking before asking these type of questions which have been aleready answered on this forum.
It is like comparing rocket science technology and bicycle technology.
A good way to start is to search all previous posting/answers in this forum plus log ontohttp://www.ips.gov.au/.
This is a serious government site. Peter
AnswerID: 4039

Follow Up By: Kevin - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the response Peter, and yes I have already done a lot of planning and checking, and looked back through previous questions. Some of the answers are available from the site that you mentioned. I am sure however that it doesn't hurt to get the "good oil" from those who have just been does it? I have been looking at Exploroz now for a year or two, and many of the questions are repetitious, but people have a genuine interest, and you can't ever learn too much, can you. Even rocket science started somewhere. Thanks once again.
FollowupID: 1730

Reply By: Alex- Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

HI Kevin, its Alex from last years Simson trip, sounds like a fun trip and I am very jealous. I enjoyed setting up the RFDS every night to listen to the weather forecast and listening to other travellers. make sure you join the 4wd radio network, you can call in every night to let them know everything is OK. I believe it's essential. Have a great trip Alex @ Mel.
AnswerID: 4053

Follow Up By: Kevin - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Alex, great to hear from you again..... No I haven't forgotten I still owe you a video tape, and thanks for the good advice. I will let you know how we get on after the trip.
FollowupID: 1769

Sponsored Links