DUAL BATTERY SELF INSTALLATION

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2004 at 19:07
ThreadID: 12571 Views:2239 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HI FOLKS COULD SOMEONE ADVISE ME OF THE BEST WAY TO INSTALL DUAL BATTERIES. IE. BASIC WIRING DIAGRAM AND THE ADVICE ON SOLENOIDS ETC TO USE WITH THIS.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:03

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:03
www.rotronics.com.au I think it is, call them they will send CD with their kit on it.. Also on the cd is instructions on how it is setup.. Just do the same.

I got the Piranha kit, well worth the $ 1 hour to install...
AnswerID: 57062

Follow Up By: uppy - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:41

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:41
Hi Truckster,How much did it cost and can you install them into a efi
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 318889

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:04

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:04
Cost a few 100, and installed easy as pie myself..

Fit an EFI, I cant see why not.
FollowupID: 318925

Reply By: Groove - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:42

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:42
Hi GQMaverick
I installed a rotronics unit myself and it wasnt too difficult. The instructions that came with the rotronics had plenty of diagrams that were easy to follow.

You can also buy the required cables already made up from rotronics with the right lugs at each end. If you prefer to make your own I found BIAS boating to be a great source of electrical cable, connectors, merrit plugs, cig plugs and sockets etc.

Cheers
Groove
AnswerID: 57071

Reply By: Groove - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:42

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:42
Hi GQMaverick
I installed a rotronics unit myself and it wasnt too difficult. The instructions that came with the rotronics had plenty of diagrams that were easy to follow.

You can also buy the required cables already made up from rotronics with the right lugs at each end. If you prefer to make your own I found BIAS boating to be a great source of electrical cable, connectors, merrit plugs, cig plugs and sockets etc.

Cheers
Groove
AnswerID: 57072

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:31

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:31
I believe the Kiss method is best now . keep It Simple Stuped . connect both batteries together , make sure both are earthed , fit a isolater for overnight stay's if you goint to keep the fridge running in the car , cant fail .
AnswerID: 57088

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 10:18

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 10:18
This might seem basic common sense but make sure you do it. Remove and tape up the original battery leads while working on the installation. you can easily short and blow up goodness knows what in todays cars!!!!!!!!! I'll leave the rest to your imagination
AnswerID: 57134

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 13:59

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 13:59
If you want to keep it simple just buy a heavy duty solenoid. Has 2 large and 2 small "posts". Connect wire (thick stuff) from positive on starting battery to one of large post and same sized wire from other large post to positive of aux battery. One of the small posts is for power and other is the earth. Power source needs to be from somewhere that when the ingition key is off there is no power to the solenoid. So when you turn the key on the batteries are connected and both can be charged. When ignition is off the batteries are isolated and you can't flatten the starting one. If you wish to you can add in an on/off switch in the cabin so that you can manually override when to switch it on and off. This is particularly useful if the aux is a deep cycle. Stops it being used to help start the car and thus getting drained quicker. Once those deep cycles are down on power the alternator simply cannot recharge them so it's best to not use them to start the car. That's pretty simplistic - you can find diagrams on the net if you search around a bit.
AnswerID: 57172

Reply By: GQMAVERICK - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 18:29

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 18:29
HI GUYS
THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED I WILL BE OUT TOMMOROW TO PICK UP THE ESSENTIALS AND THEN OFF TO THE AUTO LECCY TO ENSURE I DID IT RIGHT. THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

COLIN
AnswerID: 57210

Sponsored Links