80 Series Instrument Panel Lights

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2004 at 20:58
ThreadID: 12580 Views:1947 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The intrument panel lights on my 80 series Turbo/Diesel L/C come on intermittently. It only happens above 2200 RPM. The lights that come on are: T-Belt, Fuel Filter, Air Cleaner, Charge, Brake, Turbo. I have had this problem for some time now and I know that nothing is wrong other than the faulty lights because since it started I have done trips to Kimberleys, Cape York and Ularu - all without incident. Because of the intermittant nature of the problem, I haven't been able to track down the cause. Has anyone else had this problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne Prictor - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:58

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:58
Hi Gordon You Need To Have Your Alternator Checked.Same Thing Happened To Mine So Had It Changed Over And The Problem Was Solved ,Hope This Helps
AnswerID: 57097

Follow Up By: roscoe - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:03

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:03
Yeah I had the same problem going through some muddy water. The mud gets in the brushes at the rear of the alternator and it can't get contact correctly. When we went through a cleaner river later, the lights went out, but we still got it checked ASAP. Cleaned the alternator and since then, no probs.

Seeya, Roscoe.
FollowupID: 318832

Reply By: Member - Allan Mac (VIC) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:06

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:06
Hi Gordon,
I had the same problem with my '92 80 series T/D. There are many reasons given why the dash lights come on and nothing has been proven. I was told that the plug in the rear of the Alternator gets covered in oil and crap and thus creates a short to the Alt, so I spent may a time unplugging it and cleaning it until an "expert" told me to hard wire it into the Alt. This seemed to fix the prob for quite some time until the Alt packed up and had to be rebuilt. The auto elec who done the job said that hard wiring was a nonsence and rebuilt the plug to original specs and I never had the problem again up until I traded it in at 350k's . There was a bit of chatter on the cruiser forum some time back. It might still be on there. Good Luck
AnswerID: 57099

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:09

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:09
GordonB,
Sounds alternatorish, similar issue with my Rangie, don't have that many lights so it didn't look to bad. Being my "bush hack" I'm sort of waiting until it gives me a bit more indication, won't be long I suspect winter is on it's way, Rangies love water (not).
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 57101

Reply By: fatz - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 07:32

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 07:32
Gordon, they are all spot on with the alternator connection. I had the same on my 80 for about six months before I figured what it was. Pull the connector block off the back of the alternator, give it all a bit of a clean, use a small screwdriver to make the female ends on the wireing a bit tighterand push it back into place. should cure your problem.
AnswerID: 57122

Follow Up By: GordonB - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 09:03

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 09:03
fatz
Thanks. Did exactly as you said. Problem fixed.
FollowupID: 319688

Reply By: crusa - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 09:34

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 09:34
On a similar thread............ on my '93 80 series, a light behind the heater control on the dashboard has stopped working and at night the red strip etc does not show. I asked the local Toyota dealer what was involved in replacing the globe and he said the dashboard had to be taken apart and was a big job. Is this true or is it possible to replace the globe or whatever is not working without major surgery on the dashboard.

Crusa (Vic Rego)

AnswerID: 57129

Sponsored Links