ABS brakes

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:07
ThreadID: 12581 Views:4080 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me any information wether it is possible to disconnect the ABS braking system on a 100 series Landcruiser safely and legally, they are terrific on the bitumen but not when it comes to going bush.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:10

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:10
You cant do it legally. If you do offroad and something goes pearshaped, you are on your own...
AnswerID: 57081

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:24

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 21:24
remove the abs fuse , but it aint legal
AnswerID: 57085

Follow Up By: Midge - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 09:28

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 09:28
I tried this on the weekend, took the fuse out and the brakes worked fine, the ABS light on the dash came on, then a few moments later another light came on and a buzzer, after using the brakes a few times I found I had no brakes at all. So taking the fuse out is not the answer. The vehicle is 2003 100 series GXL Landcruiser auto turbo diesel. I have been told you can get a switch put in so you can turn them on and off, has anyone heard of this. Once I put the fuse back in all lights went out and the brakes worked fine again.
FollowupID: 318876

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:03

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:03
Midge,
Insurance may be something else you would want to consider, don't know how you would stand for a claim if they found the fuse had been removed. Air bags are the same I think, you can do it but I think you will be on your own if anything goes wrong.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 57098

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:19

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:19
Remove good fuse. Replace with blown fuse.
AnswerID: 57104

Reply By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:42

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:42
Its a weird old thing ABS. I drive race cars a bit, and the first thing you do when the ABS kicks in, is take your foot off the brake.
I have never got used to it.
AnswerID: 57107

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 23:28

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 23:28
I've replaced the fuse in my Patrol with a gizmo I made up with 2 wires, an in line fuse and a switch on the dash board, Now, as soon as I hit the gravel, I flick the switch.....light comes on the instrument panel to tell me the ABS isn't working & I'm happy.
ABS sure sucks on gravel roads!!
AnswerID: 57114

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 01:54

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 01:54
Roachie,

Can you give me more details on the gizmo. I will be returning to Oz in December from the States and have a hilux waiting with ABS and Airbags. I intend to do a similar mod. My assumption is that you have a 2 pole switch that has nothing connected to the third terminal which lights when the third terminal, nothing, is connected. What type and colour switch do you have connected? I used a green pull on switch to connect the solenoid in a dual battery system I made up for my old 60 series. It worked fine; however at night the glare from the light was a pain in the preverbial so I had to tape it up for night driving. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 318861

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 08:42

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 08:42
Craig,
Firstly, let me also say that this mod is probably illegal and would certainly be grounds for insurance company to knock back a claim. However, it would be my intention that, if I was involved in a non-life-threatening accident, I would pull the gizmo out and stick the fuse back in.
The gizmo is quite simple if you can solder. I pulled the Nissan blade fuse out of it's socket (above driver's right knee area). Got a small piece of PC (printed circuit) board cut to around the same size as the plastic bit of the blade fuse. Soldered 2 bits of stout shim brass in the same manner as the original 2 blades and soldered the 2 wires to these as well (I drilled a small hole through the shim and PCB for the wire to pass through). An in-line fuse holder was added with a glass 7.5amp fuse. The 2 wires went up onto the dash where I mounted a simple toggle switch (SPST). The indicator light I was talking about is the original Nissan "idiot" light on the instrument panel. As soon as you pull the fuse out, that light comes on (when ignition is on of course).....so when I flick the switch off, it has the same effect as pulling the fuse out.
Too easy.
FollowupID: 318869

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 08:43

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 08:43
Sorry, forgot to say that you have to carefully cut through the copper cladding of the PCB between the 2 bits of shim.
FollowupID: 318870

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 15:17

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 15:17
Roachie,

Thanks for the input. I follow your logic so I'll give it a whirl when I get home. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 318912

Follow Up By: Glenno - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 19:54

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 19:54
The fuse for ABS on my TD Hilux is shared with the glow plugs so you will have to intercept the wireing somewhere before (or after) the fuse.
FollowupID: 318954

Follow Up By: jolls - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 06:58

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 06:58
Glenno,

Thanks for the advice mate, wil save me time working it out in the future.

Cheers
FollowupID: 319012

Reply By: Siukalo - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 00:53

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 00:53
Hi....

There is another method to disable ABS but it will eat your rear breaks up....

If you drive the car with the hand brake ON, (Not fully engage) drive for a little distance and work your brakes a little. The ABS computer will detect there is a rotation difference in the tyres. This will cause your ABS to shutdown thinking itself is melfunctioned.

Once you turn off the car and start your engine again everything will be back to normal.

Just a tip, I happen to drive the car with the had brakes on....stupid of me....So that how I knew about it. Well you can try but no responsibility taken......

Alan
AnswerID: 57266

Reply By: Big Trev - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 06:50

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 06:50
I can't believe what I am reading, there are people out there who are happy to disconnect ABS!!!!!.

I have done extensive training on ABS - yes the vehicle behaves differently when on gravel, etc. but it is fitted for a reason. It allows you to steer the vehicle when the foot in firmly planted on the brakes. However, good safe driving techniques dictate that you shouldn't be putting yourself in postions where you need to stand on your brakes, you should be following at a resonable distance behind others, you should be paying attention to what and where you are driving, even in the bush.

It is suprising how many people think that ABS is working, even with light pressure on the brake pedal. ABS doesn't work until the wheels are locked up under heavy braking, the ABS then releases the brakes, and on and on, etc.

I am completely dumbfounded, and the Insurance compaines (particuraly post Sept. 11th) will have a field day telling you you have no insurance.
AnswerID: 57418

Sponsored Links