Hilux TCase Thingy

Submitted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 08:04
ThreadID: 12588 Views:1484 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hanging off the back of the transfer case on my '98 3 l diesel Hilux is a big lump of rubber in a metal frame, much like an engine mount. It just hangs there supporting nothing. I assume therefore its purpose is to absorb vibrations etc. This lump of rubber has now seperated from its metal mounts and as a consequence produces a nice "oh my god the gearbox has stripped a bearing" noise when the vehicle is moving. Tightened up with zip ties the noise has gone away.

The questions, does anyone know what the purpose of this "lump" is, what might happen if I take it off completely (only held on by two bolts), and what it is called so I can get a price on a new one if I must replace it.

Cheers

Buggerlux
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:18

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:18
she will be a vibration damper, the driveline is obviously prone to an harmonic vibe somewhere probably due to the torque ' spikes' of the diesel engine.

Probably best to replace it, no idea on cost..
AnswerID: 57147

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:22

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:22
Yep it is a vibe dampener....on my Jack t/d i have one that is hydrolic like a short shock absorber....I'd hate to think of the price of a hydrolic one but the rubber one would be about $127.63 + GST
AnswerID: 57155

Sponsored Links