Cape York

Submitted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 14:12
ThreadID: 12600 Views:2088 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am travelling to cape york in an 80 series cruiser towing an offroad trailer at the start of July. I have done the tanami and GRR and have quite a bit of general 4WD experience. I originally planned to go from Dunbar through to Musgrove and then up the top and back to Cairns. Due to the big wet this year am I likely to experience any additional problems? What will this be like in early July. Would it better if I did it a couple of weeks later? What is the road between Dunbar and Musgrove like? Does anyone know if/when the Developement and Bypass road to Weipa and the top likely to be gradded in 2004? Can you catch a boat to Thursday Island from Punsand Bay. Is there good camping at Siesa or is Punsand Bay better.

Any information would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 15:10

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 15:10
Hey Nigel sure a lot in that question. Can't help with the grading of the road but don't let that put you off - half the fun of the trip is encountering the unexpected. You will get through no matter what - the road will be corrugated no matter what - the creeks will be flowing a little deeper this year - great....and the dust might (wishful thinking here) be much less. Yep - you can catch a boat to TI at Punsand but from my own personal perspective I find Seisia a better spot maily because it is so accessible and is a good place to base yourself for a few days to do day trips. The road into Punsand while being an interesting drive takes a fair while and this cuts too much into how much you can see in a day trip. But like all things its horses for courses - my preference is Seisia or Loyalty Beach.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 57177

Follow Up By: John - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:57

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:57
HI NIGEL

WE ARE LEAVING PORT MACQUARIE ON JULY 1 FOR THE CAPE ON OUR FIRST TRIP
DONT BE AFRAD TO GO IT ALONE - WE ARE. MANY OF MY FRIENDS GO EVERY YEAR AND IF YOU ARE PREPARED YOU WIL BE OK
WE ARE MAKING OUR FIRST BASE CAMP AT THE LIONS DEN ON THE FIRST MONDAY IN JULY AND HOPE TO EXPLORE THE CREB TRACK AND COOKTOWN BEFORE HEAHING NORTH
MIGHT CATCH UP TO YOU
JOHN
FollowupID: 319621

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 18:34

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 18:34
If you go to TI, make sure you include Horn Is and do the Museum tour. They serve a great lunch and take you around to the various WW2 sites. Just TI for the whole day would be a little boring for me.
The trip we took was from Punsand, the boat moors off the beach and they use a tender to ferry passengers back and forward to the beach. You can book at the Punsand bay campground for the Island trips.
For my two bobs worth, camping does not come much better than right on the beach at Punsand Bay. Most people we encountered were staying a couple of days at each of Seisa/Loyalty and Punsand.
Cheers
AnswerID: 57211

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 22:04

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 22:04
Nigel for me I like to stay at loyalty beach its closer to everthing . As for TI the 2 island trip is good the history on Horn IS is fascinating.
Chritine from peddels has sent me some new brochers and they have some new packages that include lunch at the Jardine motel and accses to the pool on TI.
In my oppion If your got kids with you they could get bored on horn IS depending on age that is.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 57247

Follow Up By: Nigelj - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:41

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:41
Eric, thanks for your reply. Can you provide any information on the other questions? Especially the Dunbar to Musgrove section and the time of trip.
FollowupID: 319023

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 16:51

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 16:51
Nigel I think giving the wet season we have had I think from Dunbar up to Musgrave would be hard work if you were to go through oriners and new dixie.
There is alot of swamp in the area north of Koolatah.

Im not going that way so I cant tell you.

As for the time of year we leave from port douglas on the 28th june and it will be fun.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 319067

Follow Up By: Nigelj - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 14:18

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 14:18
Eric, Thanks for the information I may change my route. If you are leaving on the 28th June are you leading a tour party or just part of a group? I do not know who Cape York Connections are? Sorry for my ignorance. If we go early July or mid July we will be on our own. We also have the oportunity to go early August with others but this does not fit with school holidays as good? Trying to work out the best option.
FollowupID: 319205

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:52

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:52
Nigel if you click on the green logo at the bottom of this reply then click on were it says web it will then take to our web site.

Our 28 june trip is booked out but there a 2 spots left on our 26th july trip and being a explore oz user I would offer you a 15% discount of the trip.
Have a look and let me know.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 319236

Reply By: duncs - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:42

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:42
Nigel,

We did the Cape in May of 99 (big wet that year too)with a trailer and 3 kids. Main road was great no corrigations and very litle dust. Plenty of mud but. We were limited as to where we could go as so many oads were under water. thouroughly recomend being up there early in the season. Less crouds etc.

Things have changed since we were there ie causeway on Wenlock we crossed it on a barge pulled across by hand with 4m of water under us. It was truly an adventure and great fun as well. We were given some pretty bad information in Weipa about road conditions norht of Wenlock. I believe it was done on purpose to get us to stay in Weipa longer.

We camped at Seisa and it was very nice, right on the beach and walking distance to the warf to catch ferry to TI. We only did TI for the day and the kids had a great time. walked their little legs off. My then 11yr old girl loved the over stocked very colourful shops and the ice creams from the fruit shop at the eastern end of town was the best we have ever had.

I am jealous(I'll be doing exams while you explore the Cape)
Have a great trip
Duncs
AnswerID: 57303

Reply By: lizard - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:28

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:28
We tried the Dunbar->Musgrave track , via Koolata (I think that's how its spelt) , but my mate got stuck in the Mitchell river (6.2 Chev in 61 Series + off rd camper) . We found out later the bed had been dug up by a grader getting a vehicle un-stuck . I have heard a better route is via the two Aboriginal settlements on the West coast , a rock cossing of Mitchell river.
Camping at Gilbert river is good .
We stayed at Seisia ... was fine - had a lunch at Punsand bay , place looked okay too.
AnswerID: 57375

Sponsored Links