Nissan Patrol/Maverick overheating

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1261 Views:2547 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A friend of mine has a 4.2 petrol/gas Maverick with Auto. A few years back the temperature rose sharply one day. Ever since he pulled apart, replaced or did the following: Flushed radiator/motor,replaced thermostat,installed electric fans,had a head gasket/exhaust leak test,replaced water pump (and a few other things I can't remember). In short just about every thing apart from removing the head which he is not keen about. He would like to know if there is a fix for this if it's a suspected common problem. The other thing he has a problem with is the front end vibration/shimmy at about 80 k's (a known common problem)-- is there a fix for this? Is there a good patrol chat forum? Thanks in advance, Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
flushing the radiator is not always succesfull. two ways to go either have the radiator tanks removed and clean the core or better still have the two core replaced with a three core, did that with my 4.2 diesel patrol and solved all my problems, cost about $300. Good luck Col.
AnswerID: 4025

Reply By: royce - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
Just overcame this problem with HJ75 '88 cruiser, 4l diesel motor. Tried everything you describe. Then we realized that the radiator had probably only been flushed and not had the top taken off and really been checked out. I decided to go for the much cheaper alternative of getting a four core big radiator put in before I went for the head off option. Cos there are also all those things that you do if you have gone to the extreme of taking a head off. yep.... fixed it.
AnswerID: 4036

Reply By: Craig- Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew, I had a similar problem in my GQ , in the end after changing a few things (as mentioned above) I found that the small tube in the radator overflow bottle that attaches to the cap had fallen off . I hope it is as simple as my issue. All the best. Craig.
AnswerID: 4114

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2002 at 00:00
Check the yahoo patrol group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4WD/
AnswerID: 4148

Sponsored Links