Another Late night Forum software update

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 01:45
ThreadID: 12617 Views:1708 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all again,

I have just installed a site cross reference system in the forum posts. You will start to see it appear in the initial post for a thread. What the system now does is it checks every word in the post against a list of specific terms from our databases We have currently adapted this cross refernce search system to the Topic Search, Business Search (specific keywords - not yet business names) and Treknotes databases. When you go to view a new post you will see the cross referencing working.

As an example Let say I ask a question about a a Treknote, I can use say Canning Stock Route and hopefully the system will place a link in this post to the treknotes for the canning stock route - I would also expect a link to the Western Deserts region information page.

Also the words like fridge or vehicle accessories should fire off a few cross reference checks to the Accessories topic search and Business Search predefined keyword searches. Basically this post should show as an example of the new automatic cross references.

Enjoy!
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moneypit - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 02:37

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 02:37
You will finally be able to rest when I can click on Exploreoz and it passes me out a black coffee, one sugar, hot to the tongue. June or July the way your going at the moment.

More changes than a politicians mind

Looks like the bub has gotten into a better sleeping routine than you.

This change........................will be a gooden.

Just got to learn what it recognizes as 'keywords'

Truckster is gonna like it.

Dave
AnswerID: 57268

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 02:46

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 02:46
The keyword list that the system is using is the list of all Business Search Engine keywords that are in the Topic Search system. So if you look in Topic Search - Accessories you will see the list of pre-defined Business Search Engine keywords - Get all the lists from all topic searches and this is the current full list of Business Seach keywords that the forum cross reference system is using. The other lists are from the treknotes and basically the trek name is the keyword.

I still have a few to add such as region names and maybe even pre-defined forum keywords results as per Topic Search (however I do not want to make the page to long).

One of the driving forces to this change was the number of posts where the answers are already available on ExplorOz outside of the forum system. Also to bring the business search to the forum system to improve our advertisers return, without destroying the forum output with direct advertising. We will see what the reaction is to this change in a few weeks I guess.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 319007

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 03:14

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 03:14
"You will finally be able to rest when I can click on Exploreoz and it passes me out a black coffee, one sugar, hot to the tongue. June or July the way your going at the moment."

......and of course spits out the cd tray for you to place your coffee on!

"Looks like the bub has gotten into a better sleeping routine than you."

....my guess would be perhaps not......(Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!)

"Truckster is gonna like it."

Won't work for him, will need a level of "filtering" (for want of a better/more appropriate/less colourful description) before it would have a chance..........

Note to David.....Keywords should include all possible ways of misspelling words, and all slang versions of that word

ie john = can = dunny = potra pooty = PORTA-POTTY, etc.

;-)

FollowupID: 319008

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 07:39

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 07:39
all three of you need sleeping pills!!!
AnswerID: 57273

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 08:10

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 08:10
I'm with Nudie here - what are you guys doing surfing at three o'clock in the morning??? Maybe i'ts all that coffee you are going on about!

Steven
FollowupID: 319017

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:12

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:12
Well the server time is QLD and I am in WA so it is 2 hours earlier, it was only till 1PM that I was working on this. Trying to keep the thing running and getting through the updates list means longer hours for me as Michelle is busy with baby.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 319039

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:07

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:07
good evening people hey gary in oz dont laugh i do a lot of computor wiring and 1 it guy was telling me about a bloke who called the it blokes down to check his computor because his pop out coffee mug stand had stopped working yeah you guessed it didnt know bout cd reader

steve
FollowupID: 319080

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:45

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:45
G'day David,

I have looked at a few postings and their search key words and business key words to see what the reference is. More specifically my post of last Saturday on the Wombat meeting, It sort of makes me shudder as to computer logic a bit as to the worth of the key words at the base of the articles.

-Microphone skills are mentioned, Driver skills are referenced for topic search, as are communications and accessories
-UHF radio is mentioned, HF and UHF are business referenced and phone.

If I could give an emoticon in response it would certainly be a frowning one or perhaps very quisical at some of the responses. Will it actually speed up your system searches?
AnswerID: 57293

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:10

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:10
Got to start somewhere.

I have had a look at several hundred posts across the system to gauge the connections of the keywords and I cannot really see anything wrong. What post id are you refering to. If you mentioned UHF radio in the post then I would expect a link to UHF and the communications topic search. You and I may know what UHF is all about but I can assure you that there loads of people that do not understand all the terms and words we use.

People can write all sorts of stuff in the post - all I can do is compare words to a list of pre-defined words and create the links. I cannot guess what the topic is really related to. It is also impossible to handle the way people spell stuff.

Why do it - because I wanted to bring easy access to the advertisers in the forum. At the same time I can link to the trek, road conditons reports and the like. We update the site pages and add new advertisers all the time. If you only ever sit in the forum you will never see it, you would be shocked at the number of posts that are answered in site content pages or business search engine. So trying to make the links seemed logical and should help people out that do not know where all the related information is on the site.

What a lot of people do not know is that the ExplorOz site is made up of over 15,000 seperate pages. Indexing and keeping this updated, accessable and navigable is a very difficult task. We try to make everything related link to everything else related.

I can adjust the way it matches the words etc however I have had to start with the keywords that we had already defined in the topic search sections.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 319038

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:57

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:57
David,

I was referring to 12533. I admit I have llittle understanding of the way search engines work. There seem to be so many cross referenced things that will pop up from a Google search that will always surprise me. I am never sure what will make an indexed word. I understand the issue of spelling. I always seem to overlook a typo aside from the issue if mis-spelled words. I do look up names and people occasionally too.

It did seem odd that some of the indexed words were treated, but that is the way different logical systems work I guess. I would have thought that particular post had little relevance to a lot of searches but any users may ultimately find it interesting from another viewpoint.

At the leader of the post I wonder where it is of interest so far too, but I guess I may change in my understanding. It is a bit like coming to my favourite and expecting to get immediatly to the top of the list of newest postings. It just doesn't happen like that any more, and I have another page to download. I guess I overcome that by always having a Forum page listed on my taskbar somewhere.
FollowupID: 319053

Reply By: Rod E B - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 15:18

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 15:18
Nice work David ,

a request

is it possible to highlight on a post that you have read that post
or for the system to list your unread posts

Rod
AnswerID: 57324

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:13

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:13
David,
Great stuff as usual, just goes to prove that the ratings are correct, you are the best and most popular site. Any chance of a spell checker??????
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 57392

Sponsored Links