Road permits required from Katherine ->Hells Gate Road House via Borroloola???

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1262 Views:3780 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
How many road permits required from Katherine ->Hells Gate Road House via Borroloola?it seems to vary from 0 to 2 permits?

Travelling on the road (NO CAMPING, NO STOPPING) from Katherine -> Mataranka ->Roper Bar. No permit is required because
the road goes 10 km South of Ngukurr and does not pass through the Aboriginal Community.
From Roper Bar to Boroloola is a permit required to travel on that road (NO CAMPING, NO STOPPING)?
From Boroloola to Hells Gate is a permit required to travel on that road (NO CAMPING, NO STOPPING)?
It seems some confusion exist between travelling on the road with NO CAMPING, NO STOPPING andSTOPPING/ CAMPING on the side of the road
Where can I check that out for certain.(Tel, Fax, Website, etc..) ? Are the roads above gazetted? At the moment people give me some answers based on guess work(hear-say) rather than knowledge/proof.

Jane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sean - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
Jane

no permits are required.

Road from mataranka/roper bar/ borroloola is a great drive and actually quicker than bitumen route.

Sean
AnswerID: 4032

Follow Up By: Janr - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Sean for the information. I had to be certain that my thought on the matter was NO PERMIT REQUIRED for travelling on that road. Jane
FollowupID: 1717

Reply By: Graham - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Jane,
We drove this same route last July from Normanton thru to Mataranka.
The trip was superb. I'm not sure if anything has changed, but the road west of the Calvert hills turn off thru to Borrolooa was "officialy closed" due the crossing at Foelsche River had been washed out (we found this out after we got to Borrolooa) by the looks of the bypass at Foelche River itself (well travelled) the original crossing had been out of action for some time. Anyway we had no dramas with the alternate crossing.
You must stop at Leichardt Falls, there is great camping spots overlooking the falls, if there is sufficient water flow. To give u some idea of time, We camped at Croydon Van Park, Leichardt Falls, Borroloola Van Park(big day), Mataranka (Elsey NP).

Happy Trails

Graham

AnswerID: 4052

Follow Up By: Jane - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
Graham. This is really very good information. Thanks a lot for taking the time to mention all these IMPORTANT details. We'll stop there. Without knowing this we wouldn't. Thanks . Jane
FollowupID: 1734

Reply By: Member - Nick - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
The Leichardt Falls is quite spetacular during a normal wet season,however in a dry time would be best described as Leichardt Rocks.Havind said that if you are prepared to have a good look around it is quite an interesting area.
AnswerID: 4081

Sponsored Links