Factory vs aftermarket bullbar

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1264 Views:3878 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to have a bullbar fitted to my Pajero NM Exceed purchased late 2000. Apart from price, can anyone give me information on the relative merits of the factory unit vs (say) ARB?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew D - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
Price the alternatives. Buy a winch bar even if you have only the slightest inkling of getting a winch one day. I have an ARB steel bar on my NL Paj and its great. Maybe TJM and ECB ( Opposite Lock) make one too. Aluminium bars may be a fraction lighter but i've done things to my steel bar and its still straight. Does the factory bar have spotlight and aeriel mounting points?
AnswerID: 4048

Follow Up By: Andrew D - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Think about keeping your standard bumper so you can go back to it for any reason, besides the fact that you paid for it!!!
FollowupID: 1722

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

I have priced the alternatives and the aftermarket products are quite a bit less expensive. The Dealers however, claim that the factory option is superior because of concerns about 1) air flow to engine, 2) compatability with air bags, and 3) warranty. Apparently the factory item takes driving lights and aerial, but not winch. One of the guys at a Dealer's Parts office said (quietly) to go with the "brand" aftermarket product.
FollowupID: 1723

Reply By: Andrew D - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

1.airflow...they'd leave themselves wide open if they cut off the airflow( excuse the pun)
2.Most bars would be compatable or they wouldn't sell any. I know mine is supposed to be.
3.Big deal.. you'll get a warrantee from the manufacturer and I wouldn't mind betting that the factory item is only warranteed for the same period as a "brand". If you dig a little you'll probably find that the factory item is a "brand" item anyway (i just saw an add in a mag for Mits genuine parts and the NM bar looks like an ECB alloy item to me). What can go wrong with a bull bar , they're a non-moving part any way.
4.I read somewhere that when all is said and done, save your money and go aftermarket not genuine
AnswerID: 4050

Follow Up By: Andrew D - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Just one more thing Peter, with the money you save you can get your new bar color coded to the car's color if that takes your fancy. good luck
P.S. Don't trust Mits one inch. allways investigate their claims fully. After all they only want to make a buck out of you. I've got some stories in that regard. but I would suggest that most car buyers have!!!
FollowupID: 1725

Reply By: Dazmit - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

I suggest you look at what ARB, TJM & ECB offer & pick the one you think looks best & suits your needs as they all make good bars.
ARB also makes those Sahara bars which look pretty smick but are very pricy for a half bar.

good hunting

AnswerID: 4054

Reply By: Sharon McCormick - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
We put a non Mits bullbar on our NM Pajero (GLS) and it looks great. Has the mounting points for the lights and antennas. We paid around $1100 (Perth WA). We kept the orig bumper in case we sell this and buy another GLS later that this bullbar will fit. We also fitted non-Mits side steps and they are far better than the Mits. They are wider, sturdier and the grid pattern is great for cleaning shoes before getting in the car!
AnswerID: 4165

Sponsored Links