My Perspecive on 78/79 td lc vs Nissan

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:17
ThreadID: 12640 Views:2165 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have't driven either of the Nissan vehcihles but I have 2003 td c/c lc which has
done about 20,000K's

No mods - just new tyres and a canopy!

I cant fault it as a single person that is....

I can sleep in the back or even across the front seat ---

the seat is comfortabe and the cab is a commanding view of the road.

You definately need some weight in the back to sto it from behaving too
much like a bucking Bronco.

A troopy will always handle like a troopy because of the higher roof height..suspemsion modifications can make one amazing differences

The 1HD-FTE engine is powerful and super quiet comaperd to old soldier
1HZ

The big big big imporovement on the new turbo diese over the N/A 78 or 79 is the heavy duty gearbix stolen from the td 100 series and also a decent seat.

Nissan needs a new engine, the 4.2 is old technology and the 3.0 is a good engine but you have to wander if a 4 cylinder turbo intercooler efi Di needs to be updated
to 6 cylider to let the engine work a little bit less stressed carring around 2.5 tonnes
of metal and bolts

anyway to the bloke who is trying to decide which car to buy??

you have to ask youself the question ?

What do you feel most comfortable with

more $$$ for a TD LC and less style and comfort..more power....more ...
ummmm......remote accessability....as far parts go....but....toyota are dodgy as well..they changed from a 5 stud to a six stud ...*(to save on production costs?) so now a lot of farmers are opting for ford F250 because they can actually carry something without busting rear axles.....some farmers in the Australia are now
retro fiiting from 5 stud to six stud.....also the toyota diff is the same as smaller
Hilux diff.w.hich is still strong...but..they are starting to cut corners toyota....

and Nisssan well I never driven one..but you can gather from what people are reporting is there is a compromise there between

low price..good comfort....and an urgent need for an alternative serious off -roader enigne and gearbox..

anyway....you might all think that the above is bollocks...but this is just one perspective

cheers Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 00:31

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 00:31
"and an urgent need for an alternative serious off -roader enigne and gearbox.."

there is?
AnswerID: 57410

Follow Up By: bill - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:42

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:42
sorry
from what I hear there is nothing wrong with the engine or gearboxes...when I mean an urgent need, I mean that nissan fans are probablly hoping the vehicles next engine and gearbox will be as good if not better that what is all ready offered

..i am not "manufacture bashing"

ciao
FollowupID: 319233

Reply By: Zapper - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 01:03

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 01:03
Que. Come again??

Whats the urgent need for an alternative serious off roader engine and gearbox?? Since when has the TD42 not been?? They have constantly out Kayed Toyota motors and if you are talking utes their gearboxes and transfer cases dont die under 200000km when doing really hard labour like pulling spray rigs - not just going 4wding or going fishing. When I bought a work ute recently almost every toyota I looked at with over 300000km had had major work or rebuilds, were leaking out of transfer cases and gearboxes or had had them rebuilt too. There were several nissans over 500000 original motors and gearboxes, heaps over 300000.

As I said not sure where you are coming from????
AnswerID: 57413

Follow Up By: Davoe - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 12:41

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 12:41
without knowing the history of the vehicles such coments are hardly worth mentioning toyota comercials outsell nissan comercials by along way with many going to the mining industry and other high abuse places with this in mind i am not surprised you saw many stuffed ones. in mining I rarely drive vehicles with over 100,000k and when they get to that stage they are pretty stuffed although i will agree with you on the leaking t/c although it seems to be more of a tendancy than a fault btw i drove a nissanpatrol (to breifly to be considred adrive) at mulka station that had a new motor fitted at 40,000k 4.2 diesal but I have never mentioned it coz I dont know its history
FollowupID: 319191

Follow Up By: ross - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 19:10

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 19:10
Couldnt agree more Davoe .Looking around at whats on sale in Perth I would say about %50 were ex miners or outback vehicles,%40 were ex building trades and government and %10 of the used 75s were privately owned.
I think the parols would be the opposite.
I dont think the patrols are inferior but it is a fact that overwhelming larger numbers of landcruisers than patrols are taken into the most inhospitable parts for work related purposes.
I also think any potential buyer of an LC or patrol is not going to be disapointed either way.
FollowupID: 319265

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 06:35

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 06:35
Gee.... that's the most creative "Manufacturer-Bash" I've EVER seen. Perhaps you should go and test drive a few of the opposition vehicles, at least you might get taken a little more seriously!
AnswerID: 57415

Follow Up By: bill - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:34

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:34
Hey now :-)

Take it easy!!!

I wasn't meant to give offence to anybody

they both make a good product

sorry if i caused any offence!

...i'll just crawl back into my hole..

cheers
FollowupID: 319229

Reply By: Member - Shawn - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 07:19

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 07:19
Bill, your not the 'fat bastard are you.
You and him both seem to be stiring up the L/Cruiser Vs Nissan debate (ohhh so politely).
Good to see no one has taken the bait at any of the threads though.
Buy what you like and can afford, if it goes and it gets you out there (and back) thats all that matters.
By the way my 4.2 Nissan may be slow of the mark at traffic lights compared to L/Cruisers but I didn't get it for the reason
AnswerID: 57419

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 10:00

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 10:00
1) never seen a a rear axle break due to 5 studs and Ive seen some pretty serios loads carried
2) the front diff of a cruiser iss NOT the same as a hilux they do not even look simular - been alot of bollocks written about that myth
3) cruser parts are quite easy to find in smaller places but i suspect that nissan parts arnt to hard either (certainly compared to a lada or toereg)
4) this argument is getting tired i will not reply to it again until i get to drive a nissan (preferably for work as that would be the ultimate comparison)
AnswerID: 57446

Follow Up By: bill - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 18:36

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 18:36
Sorry I am not cruiser bashing or nissan bashing

I service station schools in the Northern Territory where
they run F250, Nisssans, and Toyota mainly,,they all have their pros
and cons.
I am just going on what people on stations say
1) station owners and workers have told me they have issues with 5
studs
2) I have heard the rear diff is the same as the hilux and the landcruiser

3) Yeah that seems right

4) I was merely replying to the guy who was enquiring about the
pros and cons of 78 td and nissan td's

no offence meant
FollowupID: 319260

Reply By: duncs - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 11:20

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 11:20
Bill you seem to be saying that the Nissan is not up to it in the bush. Despite the fact that you have not driven one. That is pretty bold. I wonder where you live? Have you been out in the bush to have a look.

If you check out the vehicles in the car parks around Broken Hill you will see a lot more Nissans than Toyotas, especially during the none tourist season.

I was talking to a guy on a station in the north of SA a couple of years back. I noticed that while his wife had a Landcruiser wagon he drove Nissan cab chasis as the work trucks on this very large very remote property. I asked him why? The answer was simple.

"Toyotas mate, great girls car." Not my words but his.

Now I know plenty of people who love their Toyota just as I love my Nissan. I've pulled them out of bogs and they have all pulled me out of bogs, that's what happens when you travel together.

I have driven both Nissans and Toyotas (and Mitsubishi and Ford and Landrovers) at work. They are all different but which one is better or better value for money? Don't know. I am happy with my third Nissan and they have al spent p[lenty of time with the front diff working hard.

Teh bottom line is that dark coloured cars get bogged, break down and cost more to run than light coloured cars. Or is ti the other way round.

Duncs
AnswerID: 57457

Follow Up By: Davoe - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 15:32

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 15:32
what about red ones? or do they just go faster
FollowupID: 319218

Follow Up By: bill - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 18:40

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 18:40
Sorry if I gave you that impression

Like I have said Nissans owners seem to be happy with their product and are probablly lookign forward to a new model in a couple year which will probablly be bigger better and more reliable..that's all i am saying

we all tend to be a bit biased towards what product we have

no offence meant
FollowupID: 319261

Sponsored Links