Nissan Alloy Bullbar....can it take a winch?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:02
ThreadID: 12644 Views:3350 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I've got a mate with a 3Ltr Patrol which wears a Nissan alloy bar (not designed for a winch to be fitted). He has the possibility of getting a near new Ox Hydraulic winch from a bloke who used to work for TJM. This bloke reckons TJM made the Nissan bars anyway and that you can get a bracket for the bar that makes it possible to mount a winch.
Does anybody have any experience at fitting a winch (either leccy or hyd) to these alloy bars?
Looking at it, it would seem it would be possible to use a couple of holes in the top of the front of the chassis rails to mount a bracket to which the winch could be attached.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. (BTW, I've already suggested he ditch the alloy bar and get a "real" one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:16

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:16
I agree with you Roachie and Pesty would too. Ditch the alloy bar and all things attached to it and buy a Cruiser.LOL
AnswerID: 57404

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:33

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:33
Correct me, but I think the winch can mount to the chassis on the GU, so in theory, it has sod all to do with the bar... just a hole for wire to come out of..

Cant remember, there was talk on patrol list while ago
AnswerID: 57406

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 00:07

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 00:07
Roachie,
As far as I know the Cruiser bar has a separate chassis for the winch but to make the air bags work you have to use the genuine Nissan (ARB) steel bar. I have a steel bar on my GU I had a look tonight, it looks like you would be struggling to adapt the ally bar to take the winch, I could be way off the mark, this is just an opinion. By the way "steel bends, ally breaks" just in case you had any doubts about versatility. You could get a fair price for your ally bar if it's in good nick if you advertise it, offset the cost against a "real bar" as mentioned in an earlier post.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 57408

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 08:52

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 08:52
Tell him to trade the 3l away before it blows and buy a real car then have a steel bar fitted for the winch.

Is fitting a winch to cruiser an oxymoron ???
AnswerID: 57431

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:42

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:42
Roachie,
My old GU had an alloy bar and I built a sub frame underneath in steel for the 9000 lb winch.
It comprised of two side plates bolted to the chassis using the existing tow point holes.
Between the plates a angle iron reinforced front plate went behind the alloy bar.
The front plate was welded to the side plates and a hole cut through the alloy bar for the cable outlet.
The roller bracket was mounted on the alloy bar but bolted through to the steel plate behind.
It worked out well but was quite a bit of work to manufacture and fit,however well within the range of any metal tradesman.
Would I do it again,probably not, as second steel bars are around for about $300 and offer more protection.
Regards
AnswerID: 57439

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:44

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:44
Hi Roachie
The winch fits into a cradle that is attached to the chassis on the GU, it does not attach to the bullbar at all, something to do with the airbags, the only problem will be putting the hole through the alloybar and fitting the rollers for the winch cable.
Put the alloybar up for sale and get a steel on.
The only alloybar that stood up to accidents was the one on the Bronco which was a scaled down bar of the Mack truck design in Aircraft grade alloy, light but very thick
Ray
AnswerID: 57440

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:56

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:56
Thanks everybody for your responses....I will pass them on to the owner and between the 2 of us (& with Pesty's help), we should be able to cobble something together. If we stuff up too much we'll probably end up with a Russell Coight type incident, with a bullbar flying through the air at tremendous velocity!!! LOL
AnswerID: 57444

Follow Up By: Gerk - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 13:14

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 13:14
Thanks all and Roache (better known as Russellll Coightttt)
Have since contacted TJM Adelaide and the factory GU is similar to TJMs T3 bar and they have a frame available to suite about a week delivery. cheers and thanks for the help. p.s. just fitted a dtronics and has made quite a difference. (pulls in 5th like it used to in 4th) or like Pestys in 1st.
FollowupID: 319197

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:51

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 16:51
Roachie, don't let Pesty use any Toyota parts in the work. Theyd be a weak link.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 319235

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 17:14

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 17:14
Bonz,
No worries there mate. I don't even let him park his old bomb too close to the big Datto, cos I'm not sure how far rust can jump!! LOL
Funny thing happened at Easter down at Coffin Bay. Pesty and I were doing a winch recovery demo for other club members on the beach. I put my snatch block onto the recovery hook he's got mounted on his alloy bullbar (it also incorporates the bolts that hold the bar onto the chassis). He thought he'd be a smarta*se and had his foot on the brake pedal as I winched him towards me........bent his bullbar didn't I??? hahahaha.
FollowupID: 319241

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 19:44

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 19:44
Never spoil a good storie with the truth Roachie but it bent when I snatched YOU backwards and there were plenty of witnesses !!!
Made no mention of the fact that I had to use handbrake as I couldnt get the cruiser bogged Hmmmm.
FollowupID: 319271

Sponsored Links