Long Range Tank for Hilux

Submitted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:56
ThreadID: 12662 Views:4617 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I'm currently looking to replace the factory fuel tank in my 1990 2.8L Diesel D/C Hilux with a long range tank. Basically what I want to know is has anyone carried out a similar mod to a such a vehicle and if so, how much of an impact did the extra fuel weight have, and did it affect the fuel guage reading in anyway. Also any other issues that may have arisen.

I've trawled the forum and archives for posts on long range tanks but couldn't find anything specific to the Hilux.

cheers,
Sam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:33

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:33
Sam,

I don't have the same Hilux as you - mine's a 3.0 TD, but since you don't have any replies yet I'll try and help.

I have replaced my standard tank of 66 litres with one of 120 ltrs from a mob in Perth called K&N. As far as the effect of the extra weight goes, I can't really tell you because I've added a heap of stuff at the same time - but realistically, an extra 50 or so ltrs is only 50 kg, and the weight of the tank above the original tank weight couldn't be more than about 20 kgs I would imagine - so a total extra weight of about 70 kgs (equal to having a co-pilot all the time).

My car weighs in at 2.4 tonne in normal trim and I'm averaging 11.5 ltrs per 100 kms at the moment.

The way the fuel gauge works is that the needle doesn't move for the first 350 kms out of a new tank, then it winds it's way towards empty in the usual fashion, the low fuel warning light still works as per normal.

Hope this info helps you,
AnswerID: 57566

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 01:02

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 01:02
Apparently you can fit a 95ltr GQ Standard tank without too much hassle if thats any help.

www.outerlimits4x4.com for more on it, I know dudes there have done it
AnswerID: 57571

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:58

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 06:58
Sam,

I have a LUX '86 model and purchased from Formula Offroad at St Marys a Long Range Automotive 120 litre replacement tank cost to fit it for me was $150 But did I take them up on the offer to fit it????? OH no not this idiot I thought I do it myself and save the 150. using a engineering workshop of a friend and a diesel mechanic to help. It took 6 hours to fit the bloody thing. Take my advice and let them do it !!!!!!!!! Anyway the thing works well, the guage does take a long time to start moving. At the 3/4 mark you have used about 50 litres of fuel but you get used to this rapidly . All in All very happy with it.

regards jeff
AnswerID: 57576

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 07:35

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 07:35
Fitted a Long Ranger to my 89 Hilux (no longer owned). 129 litres (I think).
No problems with the weight. Gauge was always iffy so I just adjusted for the extra capacity. Basically assumed I would get at least 900Ks out of the tank before needing to fill up regardless of how hard I drove it or how much I was carrying. No regrets fitting one.
AnswerID: 57578

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:50

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:50
Sam,

Had a 120L replacement tank fitted to a lease Hilux d'cab, we've just finished the lease. Was good for long trips, or running round the station, well over 800clicks from a tank. Could do 400-450kms before the needle went off full.

Was fitted by TJM, and just recently it developed a leak, high up on one seam. had to mig weld the seam to stop the leak. Not easy to get at it, without removing the tank, which we didn't.

Have a Long Ranger tank on our 80 series, fitted by ARB in Rocky, and have never had a worry with it.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 57623

Reply By: Russ - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 20:42

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 20:42
Mate,

I have a 1989 2.8 Diesel, hunted high and low for a 2nd hand tank. Ended up buying a Lone Ranger from ARB (Adel), 130 L. Needle does not start moving until have done about 450km. When just right of empty still has 20 L left.

Have a 50 L water tank in back too, last trip got 10.? (25mpg), prior to that did a trip to lower Flinders, towing 1 tonne camper, extreme 4x4 driving, hat A/C going and then strong winds coming home, got around 13.? = 21mpg. I am pretty happy with that.

This means I will get around 1200km out of the tank.

As someone else said, let them do it. They allow 2 hours for fitting. Another supplier in the NE suburbs of Adel. allows 4 hours.

Not worth messing with.

You can't go wrong.

Regards

Russ
AnswerID: 57668

Sponsored Links