additives to tyres to prevent punctures

Submitted: Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:47
ThreadID: 12676 Views:2350 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Have any of you heard about this stuff? We've just heard from a company who swear by their product and how it prevents punctures. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and if it really works. Have you had difficulties with tyre balancing after having it installed?

Karen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:59

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:59
theres green stuff that works well for bikes but as for cars I think it is in on same shelf as hiclones and peter brocks polariser all the stuff i have seen stress that it is not supposed to be a permanant repair
AnswerID: 57615

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:00

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:00
Would it be Promar?

Why dont you name the company and product? Or are you selling it?
AnswerID: 57616

Follow Up By: KO2004 - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:09

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:09
Hi,

Thanks for your question. No i'm not a salesperson. We saw it at the Sydney 4 x 4 Show but I can't remember the name of it. We are about to go to Cape York and want to be prepared for the inevitable flat tyre and I was wondering if these products actually work.

It's a kind of liquid silicone stuff greenish blue in colour. Kind of looks like kids slime and it's supposed to fill in a hole in a tyre the minute you get a puncture..

Karen
FollowupID: 319395

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:02

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:02
KO, havent used it in a car tyre but we use small tyred vehicles on footpaths for work and put it in mandatory, with caltrop and other prickles stopes 99% of stupid little punctures which happen daily. Great for kids bikes also. Cannot see why you couldnt use it in car tyres ? We use green slime product.
AnswerID: 57617

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:08

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:08
Karen,
I'm a bank johnny and when I lived in NSW I had a client called "PREVENT-A-FLAT". They had a GQ Patrol and had modified the spare wheel holder on the back door by adding a hub; so the wheel would rotate.
Their demonstration consisted of spearing the spare with a screw-driver (in the tread area, not sidewall), pulling the screwdriver out (air would start hissing out); then they'd spin the tyre around for a minute or so. When they stopped it, they'd rotate the tyre slowly back to the point where the screwdriver had been stuck in......no leaking evident.
I've never used the stuff, except in my kids treadlies.....it works well in them. Not sure about wheel balancing though.
I've heard from tyre repair places that they hate the stuff because it makes the inside of the tyre impossible to work on if they ever need to do a repair (but why would they need to anyway???). It may just be sour grapes on their part cos they're missing out on the repair $$$$
AnswerID: 57620

Reply By: madcow - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:36

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:36
Cant say how it performs in car tyres but I have used in my trailbike tyres for years and there have been times when it has had a puncture but the sealant has done its job. A lot of proffesional landscapers etc use it in their ride on mowers to prevent downtime.
AnswerID: 57621

Reply By: Willem - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:08

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:08
I have a product here called MsDeStakes. You can add it to your food.

You give it to the driver of the vehicle and it improves his/her eyesight.

Works wonders........

90% reliabilty....

no punctures.....

sometimes.................

hahahahahahaha......
AnswerID: 57626

Reply By: Eric M - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:50

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:50
Hi,
I had seen this product demonstrated at previous 4wd and camping shows held in Perth, after a lot of deliberation and asking around I bought 4 x 16 fl oz containers of the green slime and put 1 container into into each tyre. I drive a Pathfinder with 235/75xR15 tubeless tyres. For bigger tyres you would need to add an extra 8 fl ozs to each tyre to ensure effectiveness.
When wheels are motionless the fluid sits in the bottom of the tyres, and when deflating for sand driving nothing comes out.
When tyres are in motion then the slime is constantly up against the inner walls of the tyres due to the centrifigal force, so consequently when the tyre suddenly loses pressure due to spike etc then the fluid escapes out through the hole and immediately begins the sealing process. That is the theory.
As yet I haven't had a puncture to test it.
The product is suitable for tubeless tyres only. I don't have the containers so I can't give you the brand name, the pamphlets that I had, carried an Australian standard safety endorsement and in the event of getting a pucture are supposed to
be safe at speeds up to 150ks/hr and reliable for a thousand ks +.
I have had the product in my tyres for about 7,000 Ks and have probably driven about 1500 Ks in remote outback areas which included sharp stony goat tracks and the like.
Last september when I was up around Mt Augustus I suffered 2 punctures due to shards of stone penetrating the tyres, so I thought I would give this product a go, particularly in view of me doing the Canning Stock route in July.
If you have to take your tyre off for repairs the product just washes out.
If anything eventuates with this product I'll keep the forum posted.

Happy 4wheeling
EricM.
AnswerID: 57631

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 17:26

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 17:26
So how do you know that you have never had a puncture???? LOL!

Your tyres might be full of holes but you would never know!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Steven
FollowupID: 319418

Reply By: Member - Frank - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 22:06

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 22:06
I had this stuff

Davoe replied to the question

theres green stuff that works well for bikes but as for cars I think it is in on same shelf as hiclones and peter brocks polariser all the stuff i have seen stress that it is not supposed to be a permanant repair

Had the green in bike for 6 years never changed a tire had to put more air in after punctures but it was suppost to be for cars but the rep never came back dont know the name of it, had to have valve at top when leting air out for diferent terrain would block valve even got it as freebe , had he came back would have brought a lot as we were loking at it for wheelchairs and 3 corner jack problem

frank
AnswerID: 57684

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 23:41

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 23:41
Have heard about wheel balance problems with the green slime.
Maybe only with some brands.?
AnswerID: 57695

Reply By: Flash - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:22

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:22
Had some in all four tyres some years ago- forget the brand, but I did have balance problems AND it rusted the inside of the rims. Haven't bothered since- maybe products now are better????
AnswerID: 57713

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:38

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:38
I've found it extraordinarily good for pushbikes, motorbikes, wheelbarrows, Bobcat etc but not 100 % successful with 4WD tyres. It did work once though so perhaps it's worthwhile continuing.
My tyre repair shop (they hate the stuff as it stinks and also needs to be wiped out of tyre) tried to tell me ,unsuccessfully I might add, that it would cause an explosion at high speed. I have been using the stuff for years (not the specific product that you are talking of here but similar) over 80000 km's (mainly highway) without an incident of this sort.
AnswerID: 57715

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:59

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:59
Folks I know the green slime is great but it didn't work in the applications I had for it ;-) The applications have always been on quad bikes and he like. The hole has to be in the tread not the sidewall, but you never seeem to find it seals anyway.

I have found better products in the push through thread stuff to seal the holes, cerrtaily in bikes. So far I have always had sufficient spares to do the rest with the 4by - except the bl***y Germerican with a spacesaver.

I reckon K02004 that you will find they all swear by their product until they have to back it up as Willem found with the jerry cans.
AnswerID: 57718

Reply By: Pauley - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 23:51

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 23:51
Hi, be prepared if you use this stuff for a big whinge from the tyre fitters when they change your tyres. I used the stuff a while ago and when it didn't work took the tyre to a garage for repair and they got the gooey stuff all over them.
Paul
AnswerID: 57790

Follow Up By: Eric M - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 22:26

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 22:26
In answer to your question Steve . How do you know if you have a puncture??
When you do get a puncture, in the time the green slime takes to plug the hole there is a noticeable loss of air.
I discussed using this stuff with my tyre supplier whom I have been going to for years and he told me if they know the stuff is in the tyres then they will take care when it comes time to change the tyre.
He also advised that when you do notice you have a puncure and the green stuff has been activated he did say when you stop for camp for the night he would recommend to actually take the wheel off and then plug it as you would normally. All this stuff is just a temporary fix.
The product I am using is called "slime" (super duty). Their website is www.slime.com.
Some of the places we go into has a lot of spinifex which can wreak havoc on tyres. If it works a couple of times in places that isn't suitable to do repairs then I will be happy with it. It's like any of these products that are around you still use common sense.
As I do quite a bit of beach and sandhill work I make sure that the valve is not at the bottom when reducing air pressures.
Happy 4 wheeling.
Eric..

FollowupID: 320449

Sponsored Links