Frontera Fuel Tank

Submitted: Friday, May 07, 2004 at 15:44
ThreadID: 12679 Views:2524 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

My 2000 Frontera has a really poorly designed and positioned fuel tank which sits in front of the rear axle. The Frontera does not have great ground clearance at the best of times but the large, flat tank acts like an anchor in the soft stuff like sand etc. When you get under the car there is heaps of room behind the rear axle to put a tank and keep it high off the ground so as not to be a problem at all. Has anyone out there had experince with changing tanks in a Frontera. I can't for the life of me work out why the original tank was never placed behind the rear axle in this vacant spot.

The car is getting raised 50mm by way of new springs, shocks and torsion bars but I think I need to resolve the fuel tank at the same time.

Cheers

Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:22

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:22
yeah i noticed at the dealers that it is real easy to hang up on the tank when doing ramp over moves. Saw an ad the other day for aux. tanks to go in the rear of the frontera , not sure on capacity though. So you can get a tank to go there.. Could even put a smaller water tank in place of the original fuel tank.
AnswerID: 57628

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:46

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:46
Bradley,
Where did you see the add for the aux tanks? We want to do the SD next year but I have had problems finding anyone who knowns about Fronteria's
Vince
FollowupID: 319412

Follow Up By: BrianB - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:28

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:28
Bradley,

Thanks for the info. I will try and scope out an aux tank supplier here in Brisbane.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 319480

Reply By: ROGER G - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 12:26

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 12:26
Hi Guys

I know exactly what you are saying. Luckily it is quite robustly constructed and i haven't managed to destroy it yet.
There is a company in melbourne that supplies a long ranger fuel tank and was advertised in 4wd monthly probably some 6 to 12 months ago. I did enquire and i think they were talking about $1200 it was about 70 litres.

I have thought about this problem for a while and have recently come up with the idea of putting in another original tank in the rear spare area and have a few mods to the filler pipe and fuel feed line and possibly another pump and filter.

That doesnt cure the clearance of the original though.
That will happen when i get around to purchasing a CALMINI 3" suspension lift and some 31" rubber.

Let me know how you go

Roger 1999 frontera , Pajero Club Member
AnswerID: 57724

Follow Up By: ROGER G - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 12:36

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 12:36
Here are some other tips.

Uniflow air filter is the same for the 3.2l jackeroo but they done seem to recognise this when you enquire and they say they dont have one .. They do.

Have recently heard that 2nd Generation Jackeroos oiginal coils can be fitted on to the frontera giving a 1 1/2 " lift.
A we have to do is find some one who has upgraded.
FollowupID: 319474

Reply By: BrianB - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:31

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:31
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the info. It would be great to hear from someone with a Jackaroo so we could have a talk about that.

The rest of the car is great and it has plenty of power etc but the clearance is the one issue that needs some attention.

Thanks

Brian
AnswerID: 57732

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, May 10, 2004 at 10:30

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 10:30
Hi guys, the frontera shares most of it's gear from the jack and rodeo, a spring maker like kings or even pedders should be able to give you the specs on the factory springs, coil diameter, load rate, free length, compressed height etc.. Then you can weigh them up and look at the aftermarket options as well.. BTW carrols make a very nice raised height variable rate spring for the jack under their efs brand. might be good for the frontera.
FollowupID: 319699

Sponsored Links