Canarvon Ranges (WA)

Submitted: Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1268 Views:2860 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We would like visit the Canarvon Ranges (WA) and wonder if some kind
soul could give us information about tracks, availability of water and features in the ranges worthwhile to visit.

Thank you for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Colin- Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
We 'Subarued' the Carnarvon Ra August 2001. The Ra was our 'way out' after travelling South down the CSR from Jigalong/Durba/Calvert etc. We approached Carnarvon from Well 5 in NW direction through Blue Hills (Blue Hills was a station run by an Aboriginal called Tommy Ingebong - the Ra at Well 6 is called Ingebong) to Trig statiom M6. Great 360 views from M6 and fine examples of 'ripple marks' in rock formation.
We camped at Serpents Glen for 3 days - lots of Aboriginal art. Not a lot of water but a nice 'rock bath' above camp was used. There is ample water and good camp site at Talbot WH in the North section of Ra. We travelled out (track runs East from Serpents Glen)to Hwy via Neds Creek Hmstd. All tracks were good - we used 1:250 000 Topo and Geology maps. Would be good protocol to contact station before entering. Hope this info is helpful - Colin
AnswerID: 4066

Reply By: Andreas - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your helpful informatiom. By the way, is there still a track branching off to Constance Hedland (east from Calvert R.)?

Andreas
AnswerID: 4070

Follow Up By: Colin - Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00
Hmmm - testing the memory a little, but I think the answer is yes. We did the 'circuit' clockwise and I do remember a track to the left as we started heading back south/south-west. The best 'CSR' contacts are Eric & Ronelle Gard who live in Perth and do tagalong tours - they would know for sure. Fantastic Petroglyphs at Walga Gorge !
FollowupID: 1758

Follow Up By: Andreas - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info Colin. Which stations did you contact? I kow about Walga Rock but not Walga Gorge. Is it in the Calvert or Canarvon Ranges?
Andreas
FollowupID: 1767

Follow Up By: Colin - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
Andreas - see my response to Phil on Forum
FollowupID: 1784

Reply By: Phil - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Andreas and Colin
I am also very interested in the Carnarvon Range area and will travel there later this year (hopefully) and have found very little info available.

Colin When you did the "circuit" - did you mean around the range.
AnswerID: 4104

Reply By: Phil - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Andreas and Colin
I am also very interested in the Carnarvon Range area and will travel there later this year (hopefully) and have found very little info available.

Colin When you did the "circuit" - did you mean around the range.
thanks Phil
AnswerID: 4105

Follow Up By: Colin - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
Phil and Andreas - Walga Gorge reference was at Calvert Ra, on the Western edge - the 'circuit' refernce was also of Calvert Ra. Re Carnarvon Ra - We didn't actually contact Ned's Creek Stn before, as 2 of the group had been there previously - but we did have a very useful chat with the owner at work at Simpson’s Well stock yard. The Hall family took up the station in 1946, currently Dad (Ted) and Son. Currently Neds Creek is running about 5,000 head after 5 good years. The stock look fine and healthy, using WA bred “Droughtmaster” stud bulls. There numbers are being reduced, as this is beyond the average carrying capacity. There is lots to see in Carnarvon Ra and other tracks to explore, at least a week needed. (my contact - colin.johnson69@bigpond.com -) It is important to try and 'do the right thing' to the owners - there are many SIGNS on the lower part (Well 5 and below) of the CSR indicating the frustrations of station owners!
FollowupID: 1783

Sponsored Links