Ningaloo Coast

Submitted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:56
ThreadID: 12693 Views:2289 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Are you aware that the WA Gov't intends to make it illegal to camp along Ningaloo Coast ?
I've seen quite a few people camping there but not too many and generally the area is in pretty good nick, so it appears as though most people are doing the right thing.
Is this the beginning of the end of camping outside of National Parks in WA cos we all know how much fun that is (NOT) ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:25

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:25
Bloody Hell....the WA govt is at it again. Some years ago they brought in draconian legislation about camping by the roadsides etc until the Mobile Home Association told them that they would tell their members( some 250,000) not to visit WA in the future. Out came the calculators and the legislation was reversed very quickly.

What actually does the Ningaloo Coast encompass?
AnswerID: 57730

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:28

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:28
I think they're specifically targetting the section between Yardie Creek & Coral Bay
FollowupID: 319479

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 15:10

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 15:10
Push everyone in to that huge developement they are trying to build at Coral Bay
FollowupID: 319493

Reply By: joc45 - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 08:54

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 08:54
Yeh, it stinks. I was at Winderabandi Bay last year - the area was pretty good as far as camper impact goes - everyone was taking their rubbish with them and not disturbing the vegetation.
Their plan appears to funnel everyone into accomodation so that they can achieve their cap on visitors (and keep the resorts in the black)
Gerry
AnswerID: 57806

Reply By: Alex_W - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:32

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:32
Coops,

I've spent a fair bit of time checking out various government plans about the Outback and Ningaloo coasts and you're right: things don't look all that good. Alanna MacTiernan (Dept. of Planning and Infrastructure) intends to excise a 2K coastal strip from all of the pastoral leases along the coast. She's actually been pretty scathing about the people who operate those leases - saying in the Sunday Time a couple of years ago that they were "Kings in Grass Castles". Nice huh?

There are plans within the government to develop ecco-tourism in the area that goes something like this:
Quobba Station - 500 person a night (the Carnarvon Shire love this idea apparently);
Ningaloo Station - 200 person a night (I bet the Japanese who own that station will love that idea);
Waroora Station - 200 person a night.

The Australian Wildlife Conservatory already owns 25% of the lease for Ningaloo Station and has plans for a 200 person a night ecco-tourism venture split between Winderbandi Point, Lefroy Bay and Ningaloo Homestead.

Cardabia Station is owned by Baiyunga Aboriginal Corporation. Murlanda Enterprises (Baiyungu Community) plans low-key ecco-tourism close to Coral Bay but I don't think they've got too far in their planning yet.

There is also plans to put a paved road in between Quobba and Yardie Creek with a sacraficial causeway across Yardie Creek. That's going to change things just a bit isn't it?

I reckon you're right, apparently 1350 people camped at informal camping grounds on Ningaloo, Cardabia and Waroora stations in 2003. Given that, the area is pretty well looked after isn't it?

Did you know that 210000 people visited the coast between Carnarvon and Exmouth last year? 100000 between Carnarvon and Coral Bay and 111000 to the North of Coral Bay. The vast majority are International Tourists!

I reckon the government sees the entire area as a bit of a cash cow and are planning on regulating camping for profits; not to protect the coast from being "loved to death". I might be wrong but...
AnswerID: 57840

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:48

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:48
A paved road all the way to yardie Creek would ruin the area entirely I've gotta say.
I've been a regular visitor to this area for some time now but I'm glad I saw it as it once was as I won't be visiting anymore if it's like that.

Thanks for the good info Alex
FollowupID: 319596

Reply By: Mike-TS - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 19:15

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 19:15
This sort of inconsistancy really gets up my nose....

One day they tell the general public that they can't drive on the beach for "environmental" reaosns and the next day the bulldoze 100 hectares of bush for heaps of 500 square metre housing blocks. Who are these idiots?

Anubody notice what happened in Osborne Park east of freeway and Erindale road? Acres and acres of pristine wetlands drained..I used to cycles past them and listen to frogs and birds...now just lawnmowers and barking dogs.

We need a logical and realistic political party in this country who can control all this bullbleep.
AnswerID: 57879

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 20:10

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 20:10
Get out of it!

Don't you know that a pre requisite to being a politician is a sub-total lobotomy. If you have half a brain, then you do not qualify.

Perish the thought that we leave something un-touch for the enjoyment of the common man let alone the next generation.

Politicians ARE the scum of the earth, lower than a snake belly and only interested in their fat paychecks and what other money grubbing activity they can slither into when they are oozed of politics.

Have a nice day
FollowupID: 319633

Follow Up By: Mike-TS - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 22:19

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 22:19
Agree...has anybody noticed that they are always ex-lawyers?

When will we realise that Lawyers are referees of life, they neither create or play.

What we need is engineers in charge...
FollowupID: 319660

Reply By: Member - Chris O (VIC) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 08:36

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 08:36
When is this closure to camping between Yardie & Coral Bay supposed to come into operation ? We are intending to visit there in a few months time.
AnswerID: 57938

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:52

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:52
Does anyone know of a person who has been charged and found guilty of illegal camping? I have asked before and never had a reply.It sems like scare tacticts all the time but me must keep fighting those bastards who sit on their fat arses and make laws like this.
FollowupID: 319774

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:49

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:49
a few months time will be fine.
Truthfully they're dreaming because there's no way CALM can manage it as they don't have the funds or the personnel so Ireckon this pipedream will take years.
FollowupID: 319822

Sponsored Links