Larger dual cab hilux could be on horizon !!

Submitted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 19:04
ThreadID: 12703 Views:2099 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
E'mailed Toyota and asked if Toyota if they were looking a bringing in the larger dual cab called the Tacoma (USA). They replied and said that they could not comment on future new introductions to the market and said to contact Toyta dealer. Does this mean that they don't have a clue or if there could be a new vehicle on the horizon. Has anyone heard about possible new vehicles arriving ?

Basically I want a larger dual cab than the hilux and something smaller than the F250 fords. Those converted cruiser etc into dual cab utes look Ok - but concerned about turning circles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 19:59

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 19:59
shhhhhh but did have a service manager from local toyota dealer in a while ago with some pics and brochures of the tecoma but he wouldnt say to much.just wait he said
AnswerID: 57759

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 23:14

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 23:14
youbleepstirrer LMAO

1) Does this mean that they don't have a clue
or
2) if there could be a new vehicle on the horizon.

I'll go with #1 for $200 with a hint of #2 thanks

of course there will be new cars on the horizon at some stage ;)~
FollowupID: 319546

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 21:01

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 21:01
Hmmmm, What size motors do they use and what payload / tray size ?
sounds very interesting. Athol.
AnswerID: 57767

Reply By: ross - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 22:31

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 22:31
I think the V8 which is the landcruiser 4.7 and introduced in 03 has been temporarily suspended until 06.
The Tacoma has some similarities in body shape to a hilux but is really a different vehicle.

Tacoma X-Runner Preliminary Specifications (USA)

ENGINE
4.0-liter V6 24-valve DOHC with VVT-i
Horsepower: 240
Torque: 275 lb.-ft.
Expected EPA Emissions Rating: Ultra Low Emission (ULEV)
Transmission
Six-speed close-ratio manual
Exterior Dimensions (inches)
Wheelbase: 127.4
Overall Length: 207
Overall Width: 71.8
Overall Height: 63.8
Bed Dimensions (inches)
Bed Length: 74.5
Bed Width at top rail: 58.6
Wheel Well Width: 44.3
Bed Depth: 17

for pics and more
http://www.motorportal.com/2005_toyota_tacoma.htm
AnswerID: 57782

Reply By: jolls - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 07:08

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 07:08
Jeff,

I am currently in the US and will be returning to Oz in January 05. Toyota have two vehicles over here that are similar to the hilux; they are the tacoma and the tundra. The Tundra is closer to the F series in size; however, only comes in V8 petrol. The Tacoma is also only a petrol driven job and is produced locally for the US market.

I have communicated with Toyota both here and in Oz, they have told me that there is definitely no plan to introduce the Tundra or Tacoma into the Australian market. I received no reply when I told them that I would have to look at the F series. I have organised a twin cab hilux for my return as I couldn't afford the diesel F series and I have concerns about their off road capabilities.

I have driven both the Tundra and Tacama and currently own a Dodge Dakota. They are definitrely made for driving kids to and from school in the snow. They are reasonable 4WD vehicles and are well suited to the American Market. I'm sure they would be quite capable with a few mods but I think size and thirst would make the Tundra a prospect for only the wealthy. The difference between the Hilux and the Tacoma is not much and certainly the finish of the Hilux is better from my recollections; it also comes in TD.

If you hear any more on the issue please give me a call, I think that an oil burning Tundra would be a fantastic vehicle for service down under. Don't know if I could afford it, but....... Perhaps if a few more of us put the acid on Toyota for a full sized ute we may have a win in the future. The F series diesels are so large and heavy that they are not really a capable off road vehicle. Great for getting around a worksite though.

Cheers

Craig
AnswerID: 57925

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:50

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:50
These car companies don't see the writing on the wall. Back in the early 70's I thought Ford saw it with the release of the Falcon ute 4x4 - but they stopped it.
May have to write to Toyota.
FollowupID: 319773

Sponsored Links