camper trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1272 Views:2073 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
my wife and i and brother and sister inlaw are planning to do a trip around Aus leaving Adelaide mid January 2003. Our Question is , is it possible to tow a non of road camper trailer, behind our 4wds (Nissan Patrol & Pajero) along the Gibb river road and also Cape York, we plan to be in the Kimberley region about mid May, and cape york possibly late june, any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanking Everybody who helps . DAVE, BARB,DARRELL & LINDA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin watson - Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
dave, you can tow these vans any where you like, but if you whish to have a trouble free trip and have no damage to the vans i would not recommend takeing them. The corrogations up the cape are unbeleiveable and can destroy the vans quick as look at them. I myself have towed a 6x4 box trailer up the cape and the dramas we had where horrific. I would suggest investing in a good off road camper trailer with independant suspnension, i have done that and have most off the comforts you have in the vans you have. These trailers also have great resale value, they will go any where the patrol will go. Happy touring Col
AnswerID: 4089

Follow Up By: Dave - Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Colin, thanks very much for your reply, i was just wondering if you realised that my camper is not actually a van, but in actual fact a soft floored camper trailer, more than likely like yours, the only difference being mine is not an offroader, I have towed this trailer off road before over some very rough terrain( the Pt Sir Issac Track---Coffin Bay National Park S.A.) however this only consists of a track approx 50km long , once again thank you very much for your advice, and i would greatly appreciate any other advice you could offer.Thanks DAVE
FollowupID: 1752

Reply By: colin - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Dave, couple of points make sure the springs are in very good condition, and to give better ground clearance try putting the axle under the springs which will give better clearance under the guards. Also if you havent a 360 tow hitch have a look at the treg hitch. Colin
AnswerID: 4102

Reply By: DennisN - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Dave, I can't give personal experience of either track but from what I hear neither would be suited to your "on road" trailer. My brother is in the mining industry, spends most of his working life in a 4WD around the Kimberleys, and knows the Gibb River Road backwards. He says it is a real chameleon - depending on weather and time of year. At times the track is almost smooth enough to drive your family car over, but at other times he has seen the best of off road trailers [including some army ones] absolutely wrecked by the road. you have an interesting decision to make :). I have a fairly tough off road trailer and would want it thoroughly checked over before taking it to either of those two places - and my general strength,ground clearance and departure angle would be much better than an "on roader". Enjoy the bush.
AnswerID: 4106

Follow Up By: Dennisn - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Dave, just a follow up thought. I would suggest you join the Camper trailer group on Yahoo and ask the same question. The groups members are all experienced 4W Drivers who tow on and off road camper trailers. Might be worth a look. find the group at:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/ Hope this helps with your question.
FollowupID: 1759

Reply By: Slunnie - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Dave, I was at a seminar put on by Vic Widman of Great Divide tours a while ago, and he was saying the trick to trailer longevity when offroad is shock absorbers. It seems they break without them. With regards to doing a spring over job to raise the trailer, I have also done this and it is a great modification.
AnswerID: 4107

Reply By: Alex - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Dave, I believe it all depends on what your expectations are as to how much ground you wish to cover in a day. As an example, we did the Gibb River road way back in 1984 in a two wheel drive Falcon ute. It took nearly three days from memory, but common sense and patience got us through without any problems at all. In contrast we came across a cowboy in a 4WD who had charged through a sand drift without checking for hidden rocks, and wiped out his sump. From what I have heard, this track is now graded quite regularly (more than once a year that is), so I would imagine you won't have any troubles, barring heavy rainfall events. The track into Tunnel Creek was extremely rocky, but once again if you are prepared to take your time you'll be fine. I also remember basically floating over the creek crossing to get into Mt Barnett station, all for the privilege of paying a dollar a litre for petrol! I hate to think what they are charging now.

Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 4121

Reply By: Dave - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00
I would just like to thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my question, i am still not real sure as to weather to take the trailer or not, but at least by all the answers it gives me something to think about, once again thanks all.
AnswerID: 4125

Reply By: Jan - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
Dave - have you heard the saying that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link? What you are proposing to do is waste the potential of your good off road 4WD by hitching an on road trailer to it. You might as well forget using a 4WD because you performance off road will be dictated by the trailer. It will have poor approach and departure angles, low clearance and will act like an anchor in loose sand. If you are serious, spend the money on an off road trailer with the same size wheels and tyres as your vehicle, a proper welded chassis and off road independent suspension. Otherwise, just trade in the 4WD for a family Holden or Ford. Or stay on the bitumen.
AnswerID: 4218

Sponsored Links