LC100IFS suspension

Submitted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:10
ThreadID: 12726 Views:1728 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I know this topic has probably done the rounds here before but i cant seem to find anything!!Actually while am at it, how do you keep a track of your own post?? do you need to note the number?
Anyways,we are off to GRR and mitchell plateau, drysdale river etc and i want a good suspension set up on my IFS cruiser. I have removed the back adjuster and moved it 2 splines and put about 50% preload on the bolts(one was stripped by someone who fitted my ARB bullbar!!) OK now the front has the extra 35mm lift or 750 from the top of the wheel cap to under guard, but i am a bit suss on how they will go having that much load on them. The back end is untouched but really sad! with my boat and a load i need a mate to help lift things so i can get the jockey wheel down and that is with the tongue reversed!.

OK, I am thinking Old man emu rear with the 200kg load rate plus OME shocks, with OME torsion bars and Tough dog ralphs for the front.
The reason i am thinking OME is that ARB have taken a long time to come up with this torsion bar and did not jump on it as soon as this problem was seen(thus i m thinking maybe they wanted to get it right) I have been told they have a 15% increase on OEM. I have seen others rated at 25% but am unsure.

Who's got the goods on this suspension dilemma??
On the front is an ARB winch bar, HS9500i warn, 2 x predators, glind, arb compressor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:43

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:43
I have heard that ARB are having problems with their torsion bars cracking, they say that a 50mm lift is ok, you could try Polyairs for the back to help with load carrying. I know i have'nt got a cruiser but i have OME and Tough Dogs and torsion bar adjusted to 50mm lift, could'nt be happier. The 100 cruiser has a similar IFS to the Explorer.

Baz.
AnswerID: 57874

Follow Up By: John - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:50

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:50
Have not heard about the Torsion bar cracking.
Have been informed about the IFs front knuckle's cracking due to excessive lift placing high load on this joint..
ARB will not do a front lift over about 35mm now due to this problem.

I have posted a while ago about this problem, do an archive search.

Speak to ARB before doing any form of front lift as the problem is serious.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 319619

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:59
Sorry, my mistake must of misunderstood or bit to much of my own joo joo juice, the rest is correct. Hi John i'll give myself an upprcut for that.

Baz.
FollowupID: 319623

Follow Up By: John - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 19:09

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 19:09
Hi Baz
Consider yourself punched. LOL.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 319627

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 21:41

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 21:41
Have IFS 100 Series with OME LTRS, been to Cape York and back an worked brilliantly. Mine is the same as yours 750mm. Toyota has had problems with the front mount cracking, also seen photos. OME 100 Series torsion bar have only been available for a couple of weeks.
I had a set of OME torsion bars fitted Friday, have not done any offroad work but am surprised at the on road difference. Vehicle handles better under brakes and corners better. Certainly would not want anything heavier than the OME torsion bar.

Always paranoid about stripping a IFS bolt, it would be almost impossible to strip a bolt doing it up, you would never get far enough to preload it. Normally you damage the tread undoing it and pulling dirt down thru the adjustor.
AnswerID: 57902

Follow Up By: horrace - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:18

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:18
Well the bolt being stripped was a bit of a mystery to me as well but i am in the maintenance game and i love antisieze grease. I also cleaned it with a wire brush prior to trying to undo it but it had been done befor ei got to it!!
Anyway i have ordered my Tough dog ralphs for the front and think i might wait on the torsion bar until i fit these. As i said the front is now level and i still have 50% of the adjustment(this is with the 2 spline fix!!) I do realize that this is putting more stress on the bar but it seems to be fine in the handling dept. and as for breaking, Toyota will give me a new one(after i put it back to normal!!)
I have spoken to all suppliers and they all claim to have the best, ARB claim 15% over stck so as to be not so hard on everything else, rockcrawler claim 25% and these are heaps better, OL and TJM have the same claims so that is why i am asking this question on this forum, i want some testimonials
FollowupID: 319763

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 23:15

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 23:15
I thought that the standard torsion bar was big but you should get a look at the OME bar, its damn big. I could use it for gym work.

If the OME torsion bar is 15% lift then anything at 25% would be super stiff. I would like to ride in a 100 Series with 25% increase. I did ride in a Toyota Hilux with OME shocks and TJM torsion bars - way too stiff you could not bounce the front end it was that heavy!
AnswerID: 58097

Sponsored Links